UnevenEdge

isn't it weird how there are hundreds of animes today...

Shiina

I feel like there's a lot more variety today whereas the series that held more impacting weight on me aired at least 10-20 years ago, it's a double-edged sword, anime is becoming a lot more mainstream which tends to include a lot more pandering to a broader audience. There's still some great recent stuff it just takes a more selective approach.

15 hours ago, Shiina said:

but 20 years ago there was only like 10 animes? 

and even though there are hundreds of animes today how many are actually good? 

Animation back then, and for much of the early 00's was a lot more of a tedious thing to do. It's still something that requires a lot of production, but computers and CG have made things easier and more efficient. I remember watching something online a good while back how it was a thing where everything for the most part was drawn on the same shot, so if a mistake happened (depending on what kind of mistake I guess) cut around it or redraw the shot entirely. Things got easier I guess when they had several frames placed on top of each other, like one for backgrounds and one for characters. Though from what I've heard around online it still had similar issues where if you messed up a shot, correcting it was tedious. Now of days with computers it's easier to do framing, some anime studios I heard still do things by hand, while some take advantage of computers to make things go more efficient.

I'm not gonna sound like I'm an expert on this shit, I'm just going at things I've heard. elfie would likely know more about what goes into animation. But with how much went into production back in the 90's and earlier, you'd probably only see like 10 series or so a year or season. But interest in anime has exploded in the 00's which fuels the development of it. if you ask me though the industry has become oversaturated