UnevenEdge

One Piece Episode 380 Discussion Thread

He can open his head?!  WTF?!

Ah okay, they got sick, then they got attacked.  That makes sense.  I guess they just got attacked by random tribesman or something, then.  Evidently they weren't considered important enough to actually show.

Uhh, that guy looks like the mayor from Nightmare Before Christmas.

Recorded the song for Laboon.  It would probably sound better if they weren't all dying.  That was terrible.  Sorry.

Was this song really made up for One Piece?  I swear I could've heard it somewhere before... some pirate song...

Ah, so they're a whole musical pirate crew.  "Bring a smile to every child's face."  Sounds like they are some kind of Robin Hood good guy pirates like the Straw Hats.  Trying to remember if Shanks' crew were meant to be something similar or just adventurers that happened not to be assholes like many other pirates.

I checked the episode listings, and apparently next week's episode is the last of the Thriller Bark arc.

It's been fun, even if it took forever.

And afterwards.... the final stretch of the first half of One Piece.

(granted, its still OP though, so that final stretch will be very long lol)

But yeah... after Thriller Bark, things get rolling.

I checked the episode listings, and apparently next week's episode is the last of the Thriller Bark arc.

It's been fun, even if it took forever.

funny as thriller bark's been dead for awhile so it should have been wrapped up long ago

i do wonder what would become of thriller bark once the straw hats leave...it's doubtful  it would remain in shambles forever

someone's gotta use it for something

And afterwards.... the final stretch of the first half of One Piece.

(granted, its still OP though, so that final stretch will be very long lol)

But yeah... after Thriller Bark, things get rolling.

Thiller Bark is where One Piece got its groove back, the best its been since Alabasta.  Shove off with your "things get rolling."

Heh... shove off is a figure of speech of nautical origin.

Thiller Bark is where One Piece got its groove back, the best its been since Alabasta.  Shove off with your "things get rolling."

Heh... shove off is a figure of speech of nautical origin.

Well, I mean, the arcs coming next all kinda roll into each other stroy-wise and the overall world building aspects concerning other characters gets amped up. Everything starts converging starting at this point to form the climax of the first half of OP. I'll just leave it at that.

Well, I mean, the arcs coming next all kinda roll into each other stroy-wise and the overall world building aspects concerning other characters gets amped up. Everything starts converging starting at this point to form the climax of the first half of OP. I'll just leave it at that.

Well, I would hope all the intermittent cock-teasing with characters like Ace and Shanks was leading somewhere. 

Just glad it won't take hundreds more episodes to get to that point and that things will apparently be semi-related and tie together somehow.  I mean, I wouldn't put it past Oda to have every little dripfed subplot lead to completely separate arcs that take us eons to get to.

And yes I realize I made the declaration months ago, but no, I haven't had the time to get current with One Piece, because I've got a fuckton of backlogs to attend to, not to mention a clusterfuck of personal shit happened.  So, until if and when I'll have the time to do that, the Toonami airing will have to suffice for my One Piece fix.

Well, I would hope all the intermittent cock-teasing with characters like Ace and Shanks was leading somewhere. 

Just glad it won't take hundreds more episodes to get to that point and that things will apparently be semi-related and tie together somehow.  I mean, I wouldn't put it past Oda to have every little dripfed subplot lead to completely separate arcs that take us eons to get to.

Well, like i said, it's a long final stretch. Lmao.

The first episode of the time-skip is 517.

Well, like i said, it's a long final stretch. Lmao.

The first episode of the time-skip is 517.

Wow.  Well, as long as it doesn't suck, I'm good. 

I probably won't be bothered by the pacing, since you said it doesn't get any worse than the original Dragonball Z.  I'm sure even Toei is more skilled and gives something of a semblance of a shit than to just have bullshit like the endless tunnel of logs in early Shippuden.  Good lord the pacing in that part of the show was so atrocious it beleaguered belief.  You couldn't even imagine pacing that bad.  Worst I've ever seen.

Wow.  Well, as long as it doesn't suck, I'm good. 

I probably won't be bothered by the pacing, since you said it doesn't get any worse than the original Dragonball Z.  I'm sure even Toei is more skilled and gives something of a semblance of a shit than to just have bullshit like the endless tunnel of logs in early Shippuden.  Good lord the pacing in that part of the show was so atrocious it beleaguered belief.  You couldn't even imagine pacing that bad.  Worst I've ever seen.

I personally don't think OP ever gets that bad because the typical OP chapter has more content and dialog than a lot of other shonen manga, so the 1 chapter-1 episode pacing isn't as bad here as it would be in other series.

But it still isn't ideal. But alas, this is how it is.

I personally don't think OP ever gets that bad because the typical OP chapter has more content and dialog than a lot of other shonen manga, so the 1 chapter-1 episode pacing isn't as bad here as it would be in other series.

But it still isn't ideal. But alas, this is how it is.

I've heard people say that One Piece is "too dense" and supposedly the art is crammed together and the pages filled with walls of text, and that Bleach is too light (again the large pictures and panels, telling story more with the art than dialogue is Kubo's style), and that Naruto was in the Goldilocks Zone and "just right."  Not sure how true any of that is since I've only read a handful of Naruto chapters ages ago and not sure if I ever read any One Piece chapters.  That's good though, then.

Yeah, we're stuck with it.  And as we've discussed before, Toei isn't going to make One Piece a seasonal series or anything like that.  Too greedy and they can always use the excuse that it was started before that way of doing things became more or less the norm... So Naruto and One Piece will be the last of the long-runners, then.  Dinosaurs of the anime world.

I've heard people say that One Piece is "too dense" and supposedly the art is crammed together and the pages filled with walls of text, and that Bleach is too light (again the large pictures and panels, telling story more with the art than dialogue is Kubo's style), and that Naruto was in the Goldilocks Zone and "just right."  Not sure how true any of that is since I've only read a handful of Naruto chapters ages ago and not sure if I ever read any One Piece chapters.  That's good though, then.

Yeah, we're stuck with it.  And as we've discussed before, Toei isn't going to make One Piece a seasonal series or anything like that.  Too greedy and they can always use the excuse that it was started before that way of doing things became more or less the norm... So Naruto and One Piece will be the last of the long-runners, then.  Dinosaurs of the anime world.

The art can get a little jumbled, and there's a little more text than usual, but I don't think it ever gets intrusive. I think it has a healthy blend of art and text.

As for Bleach.. eh, I dunno. Kubo draws character designs with more realistic detail (because typically OP characters are simpler and more cartoony in design) but more often than the not the overall presentation was just too big and empty for me. Particularly in the fights. It just lacked energy, for lack of a better term. The beginning of the manga looked overall better to me.

Naruto would indeed be in the middle of them, but the art was often really sketchy.

Now HxH's manga... now that contains literal wall of texts. Lol

The art can get a little jumbled, and there's a little more text than usual, but I don't think it ever gets intrusive. I think it has a healthy blend of art and text.

As for Bleach.. eh, I dunno. Kubo draws character designs with more realistic detail (because typically OP characters are simpler and more cartoony in design) but more often than the not the overall presentation was just too big and empty for me. Particularly in the fights. It just lacked energy, for lack of a better term. The beginning of the manga looked overall better to me.

Naruto would indeed be in the middle of them, but the art was often really sketchy.

Now HxH's manga... now that contains literal wall of texts. Lol

I see.  I need to read some chapters then to see for myself, I suppose.  Also, some parts of One Piece fights have no backgrounds. >=]

I read and looked through earlier chapters and I didn't see much difference, except that the art looked more sketchy.  Hell, that big epic entrance into the Seireitei when Ichigo and co. first land in Soul Society isn't even in the manga.  The anime did that shot on their own.  Or maybe I'm just remembering things wrong.  I think the fights come off pretty well.  Kubo wanted readers to be more focused on the characters, and there's plenty of background and its destruction when it's called for, haha.  Though with many series I find fights better in animated form. 

I read the chapters of Kakashi's backstory, one with the bridge battle with the Mist Ninja, and I think the first volume.  Don't remember it being too sketchy.

Hahahaha oh god.  Well, that series does like to over-explain mundane bullshit. :D