UnevenEdge

Radiant -underdog of Fall 2018

Sandstone

If you like Shonen manga/anime I highly recommend this show. It has exceeded expectations so far, and I have a feeling this one will eventually grow into an epic. Three episodes out so far, check it out.

Pros thus far:

MC is likable, though a bit cliche so far in motivations. It is handled well and there is a distinct personality that will leave an impression. This is worth mentioning, as lately there has been a run of very unlikable, or dumb MCs in shonen.

Interesting character designs. Some of the character designs in this show remind me of D. Gray Man and Soul Eater in their overall uniqueness.

World Building potential. The premise while somewhat trope filled, is set up in a world that is somewhat unique in several aspects. There is a kind of "punkesque" feel to the show so if you like things like airships, and well-structured magic systems this might be your thing. The premise of a world comprised almost entirely of floating sky islands I think has great potential as well.

Backstories displayed so far are rather interesting particularly the MC's mentor/adoptive mother Alma, though it is unclear how much she will be involved in the main storyline going forward she definitely constitutes an interesting and emotionally compelling character.

Art style - the animation is rather spectacular so far. This is to be expected considering it is produced by studio Lerche (of Assassination Classroom notoriety).

Secondary tagline- It's an ADVENTURE anime. These are some of my favorites, especially those that involve an MC exploring out into a large sprawling world. There are too many action animes that are not real adventure animes these days imo. In that respect this story's premise is more akin to stories like One Piece or Hunter x Hunter as the motivation for the character is an exploration in search of some goal.

Funimation has lined up a dub cast already, so there will be a simulcast soon that is only slightly behind the subbed anime. https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/10/28/radiant-anime-english-dub-cast-funimation/

https://myanimelist.net/anime/37202/Radiant

95345l.jpg

The opening is pretty good as well.

Edited by Sandstone
  • Like 1

It's turning out better than I expected, but the MC needs to dial it down a notch, they mostly sidelined the best character (Alma), and the redhead above needs to rein in her ditzyness.  But I'm hoping most of those things will get ironed out as it goes along (and not take 50+ episodes like Asta to do it).  If they do, this could be a very good series.

The MC's personality reminds me very much of Gon from HxH (early in the story). He's very naive I think, and I think this may cause him issues later on -this can be a strong story device if utilized correctly. I have a feeling Alma will be a recurring character still but will not reappear til a later story arc. I somehow doubt she is a throwaway character there seems to be too much background and forethought put into her for that to be the case.

I like "alternate" personality of the orange haired girl, and the fact her magical focus changes when it switches. Her mentor figure I'm not so crazy about. I want to know more about the Inquisition and how exactly they can rival/hunt sorcerers if they can not use magic. Is there perhaps some secondary type of power that the religious figures possess in this universe that rivals "Fantasia" which I am assuming is like the source of the magic in this story?

You can always tell a story has promise when you are 3 episodes in and already have more questions than answers. Whether or not this will end up being a fan favorite will probably rely on a combination of decent pacing, character development that makes you emotionally invest in a character (like with Alma), and subversion of some shonen tropes.

• Like 1