UnevenEdge

Black Clover Page 15 Discussion

mochi

On 3/25/2018 at 6:44 PM, mochi said:

more like Sword art Online

.hack was made as a mass media phenomenon but it was also largely experimental, they weren't sure it would work...but it did

with Black Clover they went into production overconfident and 100% sure everyone would love it and it would be a smash hit that would be adored by millions.....didn't work out quite the way they were assuming it would

With a massive media push and paying off Crunchyroll reviewers they've managed to make it popular enough so that it will continue to survive until it's finished. Probably.

Yeah they shoved it down our throats and the critical reception is poor, but you just have to accept that there's a market for this kind of basic Shonen.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Daos said:

Actually the Manga is supposedly very fast paced. Blame Pierrot

yeah fans of the Manga are in agreement that while the manga is okay because it's fast pacing makes it fun and exciting to read

the Anime is almost unwatchable due to having extremely slow pacing by comparison

basically the MANGA is doing well but everybody thinks the anime was a mistake

47 minutes ago, mochi said:

yeah fans of the Manga are in agreement that while the manga is okay because it's fast pacing makes it fun and exciting to read

the Anime is almost unwatchable due to having extremely slow pacing by comparison

There's no nice way to say it. Pierrot is just bad at what they do.

1 hour ago, mochi said:

The anime should never have been 51 episodes (until they inevitably greenlight it for MORE episodes past that), but hey......... THEY NEED MONEY!

34 minutes ago, elfie said:

The anime should never have been 51 episodes (until they inevitably greenlight it for MORE episodes past that), but hey......... THEY NEED MONEY!

This is another area MHA did things right. 13 eps first season, 25 for the second season. Took it slow, focused on quality and great pacing.

Guess how many episodes of those 38 episodes are filler? One.

BC has a filler episode by episode 3.

• Like 1

The only reason an Anime gets 12-13 episodes is because they are testing it out with their Japanese viewers. They are unsure how many will like and dislike it.

In order for it to have a full season, it must be 23 or so episodes long. 12-13 episodes is only 1/2 season.

If more Japanese viewers like the series, they will get an additional 12-13 more episodes. Just like American viewers dictate the ratings in our country, the same applies to Japan and other countries.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl
  • Like 2

12 episodes is actually a full season... or as they say in the anime business a "cour." Literally, seasons last about 3 months and the Japan anime industry seems to go by season.

It depends, sometimes it's because they have no idea that people will want more than 12 episodes. Sometimes they just flat out don't have the content for more than 12 or 13 eps or they don't have the time to do a full 24 and get it out for the season they want to get it out at.

With Black Clover they just said fuck it and ordered 51 eps, which is actually a standard 4 cour order for a shonen that has a ton of content available. Fairly tail got the same order back in 2009. Bleach and Naruto as well.

Tokyo Ghoul had a one cour season despite the manga's popularity due to no further content being available at the time.

Elfen Lied had a one cour season and flopped in Japan, so they never finished it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daos said:

12 episodes is actually a full season... or as they say in the anime business a "cour." Literally, seasons last about 3 months and the Japan anime industry seems to go by season.

It depends, sometimes it's because they have no idea that people will want more than 12 episodes. Sometimes they just flat out don't have the content for more than 12 or 13 eps or they don't have the time to do a full 24 and get it out for the season they want to get it out at.

With Black Clover they just said fuck it and ordered 51 eps, which is actually a standard 4 cour order for a shonen that has a ton of content available. Fairly tail got the same order back in 2009. Bleach and Naruto as well.

Tokyo Ghoul had a one cour season despite the manga's popularity due to no further content being available at the time.

Elfen Lied had a one cour season and flopped in Japan, so they never finished it. 

OR, and this frustrates me the most out of any other reasons, a one-cour anime is made solely because they wanna plug it source material and boost its sales.

27 minutes ago, elfie said:

OR, and this frustrates me the most out of any other reasons, a one-cour anime is made solely because they wanna plug it source material and boost its sales.

That's pretty much the objective of most anime. Madhouse was famous for not making second seasons of any anime regardless of how popular it was.... until they recently did S2 of Overlord. Because their only objective was boosting manga and light novel sales. It works though, you get hooked on a show and want to know what happens? Gonna have to get the light novels or wait with the futile hopes of the anime getting a second season.

At least with a Shonen you know you'll have plenty of episodes and often an actual conclusion to the show... after 500 episodes.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2018 at 8:44 PM, mochi said:

more like Sword art Online

.hack was made as a mass media phenomenon but it was also largely experimental, they weren't sure it would work...but it did

with Black Clover they went into production overconfident and 100% sure everyone would love it and it would be a smash hit that would be adored by millions.....didn't work out quite the way they were assuming it would

SAO started out as a story Reki did for a contest.  He went past the page limit so he posted it online for the hell of it.  This gained traction so he did more stories, web novels, he also posted online.  Eventually a publisher liked what they saw so he adapted the web novels into light novels.  Then an anime producer liked those light novels so they got adapted as anime.  As the franchise took off, you got videogames, etc.  So, it wasn't really planned to be this big huge multimedia thing, but it just sort of exploded.

.hack was planned that way from the beginning.  I think it's probably actually unusual in that aspect.  But it's actually kind of annoying because of how chronologically wonky it is, and if you want get more of the story, you have to play a game or something, etc.  So far I've just seen the first show.

Again, it started out as a manga, which then got popular enough to made into an anime.  Don't know if it has any videogames or whatnot, but if it gets big enough, you can bet they'll be coming.  Pretty perfect for it though since the show is basically an RPG in anime form, heh.  But yeah, like Elfie said, I think just about everyone wants their franchise to be successful?  It's called capitalism.  So not sure what your point was with all this.

On 3/27/2018 at 7:50 PM, Daos said:

This is another area MHA did things right. 13 eps first season, 25 for the second season. Took it slow, focused on quality and great pacing.

Guess how many episodes of those 38 episodes are filler? One.

BC has a filler episode by episode 3.

Most anime companies finally got the hint and have moved the seasonal model.  This allows for better adaptations with improved pacing, and lacking the need of filler.  So, Pierott actually went backwards here with this quasi-long-runner dinosaur model.

• Haha 1

After endless filler in Inuyasha, Bleach, One Piece, DBZ, Naruto, Fairytail and basically every other shonen of the era... I think fans have really had enough of filler laden shonen.

MHA and Mob Psycho saw that and gave the fans what they wanted.

BC somehow missed the boat and went with the old model and got absolutely savaged.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 4:33 AM, Daos said:

After endless filler in Inuyasha, Bleach, One Piece, DBZ, Naruto, Fairytail and basically every other shonen of the era... I think fans have really had enough of filler laden shonen.

MHA and Mob Psycho saw that and gave the fans what they wanted.

BC somehow missed the boat and went with the old model and got absolutely savaged.

To add to those, Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, Seven Deadly Sins, SAO, and just about every other series has gone with the seasonal model.  It's the new standard.  The fact Pierott would go this way with Black Clover is truly baffling.

Edited by ben0119

What old style Shonen are left at this point? Boruto, Fairytail, One Piece and BC?

With the push BC got I think they decided ahead of time that they wanted it to become part of the new "big 3" that Bleach, Naruto and One Piece were a part of. That's probably why they went with the old style.

So now it will be One Piece, Boruto, and BC as the new big 3.

Western audiences just don't have the tolerance for filler that Japan does.

I have no idea how anyone has anymore appetite for anything Naruto-related.  I didn't even realise that Boruto was planned to go long enough to become a long-runner.  Fairy Tail at least takes breaks.  But yeah it would air for long stretches and still has some filler.  One Piece got grandfathered in.  It could change formats but Toei is probably too greedy for that.  It's not like people are going to "forget" about One Piece if it's not on for a while.

But was the big three concept even in Japan or was it something America came up with?  But that's not a very good reason either way.

That may be so but if that were the case why did so many series move away from the long-runner model?  Also I thought the Bleach anime ended or was cancelled because of the filler?  Though how people put up with Shippuden's bullshit I have no idea.  These decisions would be based on what Japanese audiences wanted so that makes me think even they finally got sick of the filler bullshit.

Big 3 must be a Japan thing, because it was Shonen Jump Manga that the big 3 was  referring to. Plus... the US doesn't give a rats ass about One Piece so it has to be Japan.

With Bleach... I didn't watch Bleach but I read that it wasn't the filler, the author just ran out of gas after a certain point and people just didn't like the story anymore.

Why are they moving away from the long runner model... hmmm... hard to say. Maybe they sensed that starting a new long runner in this day and age would be harder? Maybe animators were getting fed up with the ridiculous schedule and studios thought that to make money they'd have to actually put some care and thought into their product instead of a bunch of mostly unanimated boring filler?

I've also noticed that the creators of new manga seem to have more input over how the anime ends up when it gets an adaption. Years ago they seemed to be more like slaves, forced to churn out endless content until their masters were satisfied.

Oh and did you say you wanted more Naruto? Have more Naruto.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/04/05-1/three-new-naruto-novels-are-on-the-way-starting-this-may

• Haha 1

Oh yeah that's right.  It must be a Japan thing then. xD

I wouldn't personally agree with that assessment, but there were lots of people complaining about the story.  Don't know if I would say it was a majority or not since I know complainers can be vocal, especially manga/anime fans, and I would just be going by forums and comments, etc.  I do believe the ratings were going down in Japan, though.  I mean, Bleach a long-running shonen, they wouldn't have stopped the anime without reason if they thought they could still get more mileage out of it.  Even odder still a live action movie is being made though.

It could be all of that. xD I would also like to think that Japanese fans finally stopped putting up with filler.  Whatever the reason I am glad things have changed!

Yeah I've noticed that as well.  You hear more and more about authors having more control and sometimes even direct involvement with the anime productions.  From what I understand this was pretty rare in the past.

Bleh!  lol