UnevenEdge

Lupin III: Part V first full trailer (Japanese only) and new key visual released

DangerMouse

The first full trailer and new key visual for the upcoming new season of Lupin III coming in April in Japan:

s_fix.jpg

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-03-13/lupin-iii-5th-anime-series-video-previews-inori-minase-hacker-girl-role/.128924

Looks awesome! Thought there'd be a thread already since Part IV was just on Toonami, but I didn't see it when I looked quickly (so I may have missed it).

Hopefully Discotek gets it so that Epcar's company gets to dub it again just like last season. It was so good to have them all back.

Would be cool if it finds its way onto Toonami again as well, as it was a lot of fun watching Part IV with the usual crew. 

Edited by DangerMouse

I love that unlike the previous shows, they're wasting no time in making Part 5!  It's clear they're using the same animation team too!  I suppose this is the "official" animation style they're sticking with in this franchise now. It's a bit limited and sketchy for me, but I wasn't distracted by it in Part 4.

Yeah, it's great that they are getting right to it. Quite excited for more!

That's true, but there were also times where I thought it looked quite good and also had some good action animation. I really like the updated art style, its seems like a good merging of the full Koike style (of the recent spinoffs) and the old 80s style. 

That real OP for part 4 really nailed the mix I think, since that was this new style looking its best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BUU8800 said:

Did Toonami ever actually get to use the real opening and music for Part IV btw? And yeah, super stoked for Part V.

I don't think they ever did. 

At least the instrumental track for the Toonami short version still felt like Lupin. But I love this updated classic theme.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BUU8800 said:

I see, that's a shame.

Agreed.

I thought we might have had a shot seeing it at least once for the first ep on a repeat showing, like Space Dandy or something.

Oh well, maybe for Part V on Toonami :) 

Was just looking through a search and saw someone mention that there might have been some kind of issue getting the song rights. So maybe that was why they had to use a new one since they knew they couldn't get it in time for broadcast and by the time it might have cleared they'd already be on the weeks where they needed the shortened version anyway, since it seems like we generally only get full OPs for first episodes if at all, so maybe it was too late.

Well they used the Italian dub music and title cards right? Lupin Part IV aired in Italy before Japan. I don't think anything like that is going on with Part V and France so hopefully the Japanese music and title cards will be the only ones available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BUU8800 said:

Did Toonami ever actually get to use the real opening and music for Part IV btw? And yeah, super stoked for Part V.

No. Sadly, the licensors only got the "international" version. That's what Discotek used to dub the anime, and so that's what Toonami got.

29 minutes ago, BUU8800 said:

Well they used the Italian dub music and title cards right? Lupin Part IV aired in Italy before Japan. I don't think anything like that is going on with Part V and France so hopefully the Japanese music and title cards will be the only ones available.

They used part of the Italian version's OP visuals but not the song, instead they used an instrumental track for the song.

The Italian version had its own totally different song:

Ah I see. I actually watched the Italian version of the first few episodes back when it was first airing since they were the only ones up, but eventually as the show went on the Japanese versions were made available and I went with them. So I musta forgotten how the Italian theme went or something. Either way this is the one we should have gotten:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BUU8800 said:

Ah I see. I actually watched the Italian version of the first few episodes back when it was first airing since they were the only ones up, but eventually as the show went on the Japanese versions were made available and I went with them. So I musta forgotten how the Italian theme went or something. Either way this is the one we should have gotten:

Yup, so good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

Oh, that could be, I didn't look up too see if there'd been any updates yet about the disc release.

I briefly thought I remember reading there would be two different blu ray releases, one with the dub but only the Italian soundtrack, and one with only the japanese sub plus the Japanese soundtrack.

I remember thinking I thought it all felt a bit like a cash grabs to separate the releases, but that was awhile ago and I could be very wrong.  

11 hours ago, AnimationFan14 said:

I briefly thought I remember reading there would be two different blu ray releases, one with the dub but only the Italian soundtrack, and one with only the japanese sub plus the Japanese soundtrack.

I remember thinking I thought it all felt a bit like a cash grabs to separate the releases, but that was awhile ago and I could be very wrong.  

Hopefully that's not the case since I want the dub but not the Italian soundtrack lol.

Hopefully once it starts airing in Japan we'll hear something about if Discotek is going to be able to pick up Part V.

Edited by DangerMouse

On 3/21/2018 at 10:17 PM, BUU8800 said:

Well in either event didn't really intend on hijacking a Part V topic to discuss Part IV so I guess I'll leave it at that...for now anyway. xD 

Not a problem! :D

We've got some time to kill before we hopefully get some licensing news for part V anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've got Part V's Opening!

I like it, it's very stylized, but very much in keeping with the Lupin spirit. That said I definitely think Part IV's was superior. Crunchyroll  has also announced it'll stream every Tuesday starting tomorrow at 2:30pm eastern time. The Spring Anime Season is here ladies and gentlemen! :D

Edited by BUU8800
  • Like 1

Nicely done! Just saw it myself and was coming to post it if no one else had yet :D

I agree the Part IV one was better and just so damned slick looking, but this new 3D but very pixel style one is still very cool and the style really fits well and is a lot of fun, even despite being a little choppy a couple of times at least on Youtube. This new intrumental version of the classic theme is also very good too, though for perfection I wish they'd still have thrown in a few of the vocals at the very end of it, just for that extra properly epic touch.

The shot of all of the cop cars coming over the hill was really fun, along with Lupin's car going into space to put up that spy satellite lol, which he of course then uses to check out Fujiko on the beach LOL. xD

Edited by DangerMouse

Lupin III is back at last! And I'm glad to see the vocals were included in the opening theme as the clean version released on youtube yesterday didn't have them. I beat you were too eh @DangerMouse? Also nice to see a bit of continuity with previous Lupin incarnations right at the start. The rest of the episode however seemed to be going out of its way to drive home the modern technology of the current world as perhaps being Lupin's toughest foil yet. With so many eyes looking at every move he makes, how can Lupin possibly escape? Well more on that next week I'm sure, so I guess I'll close for the introductory outing by mentioning the new girl, Ami. Too early to try and say how much I like her, but so far so good. Rebecca from Part IV has her beat in the looks department, but that's more of a superficial point I suppose. Character and role in the story will matter most. And that remains to be seen. But yeah, liked what I saw here, Lupin's bullet theft might have been my favorite outlandish moment of this first outing, and looking forward to more! And oh yeah, still lovin' those female character designs. The tits on that one girl who was all over the dude on the boat...my God! xD Speaking of, only a brief glimpse of Fujiko this first week outside the op/ed, but that probably won't last too long. xD 

Episode 2 this week and the Lupin game is in full swing. That first part involving the Zenigata chase really gave off the feel of watching a live sporting event or something with all the cuts to the internet stream reactions. Ah the wonders of modern technology. It's pretty clear the show is pushing that angle hard. I was a bit surprised Zenigata would let something like Lupin fleeing to an unaffiliated country stop him from pursuit, but then I guess this series is meant to be taken more seriously with stuff like that. I liked Lupin betting on the public's lack of an attention span, but he wasn't counting on assassins to spice the game up! Still not much of Fujiko in the early going, and I'm still fairly indifferent on Ami, but perhaps that'll change as she gets more involved. It even looked like she might have been hit or grazed in the preview. Lupin still displaying that chivalry. It made me think about how the whole no honor among thieves thing really doesn't apply to him...most of the time anyway. xD 

Edited by BUU8800

Heh, well episode 3 this week touched on alotta what I mentioned last week for an overall fun outing. Watching Lupin(and us) get to know Ami better, fucked up past btw, and manipulate the game/assassins to his advantage was great. Ditto Jigen and Goemon mowing them down. Chopping off his hands Goemon? Brutal stuff. xD And well, I did say Lupin wasn't always honorable right? It's a shame that "Momma" character with the massive tits died, but in comes Fujiko to fill the void, with murderous intent. Not that she's a real threat of course, all things considered. And best of all, Zenigata! I wonfdered why he wasn't still going after Lupin last week and it seems the show agreed with me! Zenigata episodes are usually among my favorites so definitely looking forward to next week!

Edited by BUU8800

Zenigata to the rescue! In what was probably my favorite episode so far. Loved the chemistry between he, Lupin and Ami. Who was quite the badass taking down that chopper btw. xD I do wonder how far they'll take this "Fujiko is now my enemy" thing they're trying to push, but more on that later I suppose. For now as Zenigata mentioned in the preview it looks like Lupin has faked his own death to try and get the game shut down for good so let's see how that goes. Also, there were quite a few stunningly beautiful background shots this week I noticed. 

Well damn, wasn't expecting everything to be wrapped up all neat and tidy after 5 episodes. But it looks like the Lupin Game arc is done, and I'm satisfied with how it played out. Zenigata looked good, everyone else also felt true to their characters too, and Ami was a nice addition. I'll be kinda disappointed if this is all we get from her though. The promotional material made it look like she'd be this series' Rebecca equivalent from Part IV but if she doesn't show up anymore that won't be the case. I also wondered how far they'd try taking the whole "Fujiko is now an enemy" routine from last week, and I'm happy to say the answer was...not far. While it's clear her relationship with Lupin is still strained it's not to the point where they can't work together, very good. Overall this arc was solid I'd say.

The preview for next week definitely has me confused though. Pink jacket Lupin from Part III is back? Zenigata's colors seemed to match his from that series too. Is this supposed to be a flashback episode or something? I'm guessing it'll be a one-off episode either way. No surprise there as Part IV had several one-offs, but I do wonder how many more arcs we'll have and how long they'll last like the Lupin Game 5 Parter. But I guess we'll see soon enough so....until next week!

Operation Make Lupin Dumber! Well this was certainly a weird and wacky pink jacket Lupin outing. I never actually decided if it was supposed to take place in the far past setting of the original pink jacket series or not though. I don't recall seeing any modern computers or cell phones or whatnot, but I may have missed something. Regardless, I guess I'm glad the brothers made out alright, and watching everyone clobber Lupin, or feed him in Goemon's case, to lower his intelligence was humorous. Still, Jigen's initial plan of having Fujiko strip remained the best. Too bad it never happened, but at least Lupin tried in a way only he could. xD Next week, the start of the next arc? That new guy was also in one of the promotional posters iirc so there's a good chance.

Wow that was actually a pretty engrossing setup episode for this second arc. Felt like I was watching a movie. A spy thriller or heist film blend or something to that effect. Nice to get a Lupin/Jigen centric outing too. (I'm not counting disguised Lupin as a Fujiko appearance.) Definitely excited to see where this goes next, but I really couldn't even venture a guess at this point.

Edited by BUU8800

Oh wow, I figured for sure Lupin would have foreseen Albert realizing he switched the gun out and had another idea in place(aside from the bomb), but no, the episode really ended with Albert seemingly winning. Well I guess this early on in the arc they needed to make him at least look like a real challenge for Lupin so I guess it makes sense. And to be fair Lupin seems just fine in the preview so maybe he did forsee things going like this afterall. But that's for next week, this week was another fun and engaging outing, sad death of the old cop with the instant memory aside. I'm right there with Goemon when it comes to cell phone ineptitude. xD Though I've still never actually owned one. His scene with the kids was pretty cute too. Still no signs of Fujiko or Zenigata, the latter at least is probably gonna get left out of this arc entirely if I had to guess. And uh...yeah, until next week!

Edited by BUU8800

Well looks like everything really was played straight last week. Unfortunately for Albert there were other forces at work however, involving a right wing presidential candidate's hired assassins. And now he can't hope to control France, or even stop them without help from....Lupin! Boy, it's a good thing Lupin is so acrobatic and nimble so quickly after getting such severe wounds. xD But I kid. The flashbacks were somewhat interesting I guess, but mostly this felt like a transitional/buildup episode for the all out scramble over the book that's sure to come next week. I'm just not sure if next week will be this arc's finale, or if there'll be a bit more yet after it.

And so the 2nd arc ends, pretty cleanly too. Just Lupin and Albert recovering the black book while Goemon and Jigen fight off the extras, and really moreso just Goemon. Well Lupin comes out on top, as it should be. Not much else to say really, this was a good arc, not sure if I prefer it to the first though. No Fujiko or Zenigata at all as it turned out, though with a Part II insdpired Lupin one-off next week, Fujiko's coming back. And it looks like the fanservice with her, as it usually does. xD 

The search for Pablo's Collection in a rather nostalgia-tinged flashback episode to earlier times, when Lupin wore his legendary Red Jacket from Part II. After that serious arc it felt nice to wind down with something simpler. With some nice lecherous Lupin antics with Fujiko, and charismatic battle team-ups with Jigen and Goemon. Definitely a very comfy episode, with very strong character chemistry between our main 4. Possibly my favorite episode of Part V so far honestly. Only thing missing was Zenigata, who has now been absent for 5 straight episodes. He did do the end preview narration at least, so maybe he'll appear in what looks to be another Red Jacket one-off episode next week. And with anime cosplayers and Goemon apparently meeting a girl this should be fun. xD 

Edited by BUU8800

Another throwback Red Jacket outing this week, with Goemon as the star. Looking for a gem in a locket, but finding a girl he may just be smitten with. Another extremely fun outing. The various ways ninja brat and security dude were milking Goemon was fun, and of course Lupin had to come along just to be a dick. xD I see everything worked out well for Chloe, both the real one and her daughter. And it looks like Ami is returning next week! Good, good, I just wonder how much of the focus she'll be.

Edited by BUU8800

• 2 weeks later...

Well we're back after an unexpected week off. And so is Ami! Definitely nice to see her back to start our 3rd main story. Zenigata too, however briefly. Looks like he'll get more attention and activity starting next week. Finally, it was very, very nice to see Fujiko showing off her greatest weapon: her tits! xD Still not as blatantly delicious as in certain episodes of previous series, but I'll take it. Takin' down terrorists with sex and skill, no sweat. Lupin and the boys for their part seemed a step behind this week in what was, on the whole, merely a prologue episode of sorts for the larger picture involving Princess Dolma of the Padar Kingdom and her valuable necklace. Let's see how the story continues to unfold in the weeks ahead...