UnevenEdge

Bucket's Hot Garbage

pail

I never joke.

And, no, that wasn't terrible.

You've got great tempo.  I'm not a guitarist myself, but your fingerwork looked pretty spot on as well.  Considering that was just little over 2 minutes, it was definitely a great foundation for a longer solo.  I liked it a lot.

You just have to channel that 2 minutes into something longer.  You have more than enough in your life to tell a story with your blues guitar.

Have you listened to the greats?  B.B. King is probably one of the best you'll ever hear because he makes it so effortless.  Start listening to guys like that and you'll get a better sense of how to construct a blues song.

• Like 1

Pentatonic scales are simple to learn, and relatively easy to fret. Most beginning guitarists are taught them early on because there are "essentially" no "wrong" notes you can play. It's a good foundation for expanding into modal scales, which are just all the notes in a key and the shapes of each "mode". It's been awhile since I brushed up on the rudiments but, just for example, the Ionian mode is just where you play all the notes in any key starting from the 'I'(1) position. I forget most of the other names but you simply play through the key, or within the shape of a particular mode, by starting from the corresponding note in the key. 

I'm probably doing a poor job explaining modes because I haven't revisited them in a long time.

And those are just the basics , really. There's all sorts of unique and more challenging concepts beyond all of that.

If you ever want to get into guitar, buy a relatively inexpensive introduction model or brand.

Learn about the A pentatonic minor scale, how it relates to the C major scale, and the basics will start to click in fairly quickly and easily.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pail said:

Pentatonic scales are simple to learn, and relatively easy to fret. Most beginning guitarists are taught them early on because there are "essentially" no "wrong" notes you can play. It's a good foundation for expanding into modal scales, which are just all the notes in a key and the shapes of each "mode". It's been awhile since I brushed up on the rudiments but, just for example, the Ionian mode is just where you play all the notes in any key starting from the 'I'(1) position. I forget most of the other names but you simply play through the key, or within the shape of a particular mode, by starting from the corresponding note in the key. 

I'm probably doing a poor job explaining modes because I haven't revisited them in a long time.

And those are just the basics , really. There's all sorts of unique and more challenging concepts beyond all of that.

If you ever want to get into guitar, buy a relatively inexpensive introduction model or brand.

Learn about the A pentatonic minor scale, how it relates to the C major scale, and the basics will start to click in fairly quickly and easily.

I know a bit about modes but not a lot since I didn't study music and don't compose (or play a string instrument for that matter), so that sounds right to me.  The important thing to remember is that any musical structure exists to create conflict and provide a resolution to it.  It could be as simples as a bugle call where the first part of the musical command is "resolved" by the second part.  In a typical Sousan march, there's a break up strain of a different mode that creates conflict which is then resolved by the "D" strain.  The point, of course, is that there's an underlying tension in musical harmony that can be exploited for dramatic effect much in the same way a writer uses climax and denonument to build suspense.  The best part is that you don't really need to learn the names at first; just listening to the tunes that you enjoy for tension and resolution gives you a great starting point. 

What about playing Pentatonic scales do you enjoy?  I mean, it is just playing a scale, but what sounds does it generate that you enjoy hearing?

1 hour ago, discolemonade said:

i was given a beautiful guitar a couple years ago. 

i played the few chords i know. and put it away, never to attempt to learn. 

i would love to learn.  

you...are pretty darn good. 

kudos to you. 

It's definitely something that you have to have a passion for.

And even many who do still get extremely frustrated by their shortcomings, perceived or not.

I can relate in a similar way to visual artists, drawers, painters, etc.

I've poured all of my creative talent in that medium into an extremely small number of works, with mediocre to average results at best.

But for me the passion to hone those particular skills is just not strong enough to overcome the pain and frustration.

I don't like to get too superstitious about things... but sometimes it feels like there are these intangible, metaphysical rigors wrapped around beautiful art. Like an invisible force of nature guards and subjects seekers to trials and tribulations to prove whether or not a person is worthy of possessing these ethereal constructs.

Edited by pail
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I

What about playing Pentatonic scales do you enjoy?  I mean, it is just playing a scale, but what sounds does it generate that you enjoy hearing?

So... This was supposed to be a lot shorter... But that's what happens when you don't plan anything out and are horrible at improvising.

I don't really address your question here, but I plan on a follow-up a little later tonight. Few hours or so...

Consider this a preamble of sorts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quickie for beginners demonstrating how to start utilizing the pentatonic notes and beginning to step outside "the box" and experiment with different shapes, rhythms and patterns with the pentatonic notes.

Horrible production value, sorry. I'll work on a much more pleasant presentation next time.

Little bonus at the end got cut because my phone storage is butts. Sorry about that.

Edited by pail

• 2 weeks later...