UnevenEdge

Yeah I'm watching Toonami tongiht

Zenigundam

and I notice that everything on it is for like middle schoolers at best, and that's generous because I honestly think it's a 2nd-5th grade audience range. Yeah and I'm completely serious. I would be putting on some badass TV-MA/R-rated shet, live-action movies too, hell yeah there'd be crazy horror movies on there. This generation is softer than playdoh those lil betches

• Confused 1

On 2/10/2018 at 11:29 PM, Zenigundam said:

and I notice that everything on it is for like middle schoolers at best, and that's generous because I honestly think it's a 2nd-5th grade audience range. Yeah and I'm completely serious. I would be putting on some badass TV-MA/R-rated shet, live-action movies too, hell yeah there'd be crazy horror movies on there. This generation is softer than playdoh those lil betches

Middle-School-grader Swim.

Shows where DeMarco's tastes lie, and also shows where we are as American TV watchers.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:29 PM, Zenigundam said:

Live Action has no place on Toonami unless it's for a gag (like I'm thinking they MIGHT do with Dragonball Evolution for April Fool's Day) or it's a micro-series like Sand Whale & Me. Horror huh? So you want Tokyo Ghoul back? Duly noted.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Apparently he missed JoJo, Gundam, and Hunter x Hunter.

Those were episodes with STRONG adult themes and you're a moron if you don't think so!

Honestly, though... HxH, Stardust Crusaders and Gundam IBO are written for young viewers and just hide that fact behind some particularly violent moments.

The violence in JoJo is particularly ridiculously over the top. Blood spray happens from the tiniest scratch and the characters are usually fine after what looks like a deadly wound.

Chimera Ant can be disturbing but is it that much worse than how Cell ate people? It's taken more seriously and with good reason but it's not like we saw the queen eat the kids we just know full well she did it.

Gundam is violent because war is violent but violence alone doesn't make something mature. IBO is probably at least more mature than HxH and JoJo and leagues beyond Dragon Ball Super but it's still not really seinin material.

For the record I don't think Deadman Wonderland, Akame ga Kill or Attack on Titan are actually any more mature than those shows and they're ridiculously over the top with their violence as well. They are after all still shounen.

Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Black Lagoon, Michiko & Hatchin, Dandy, Champloo, Lupin, One-Punch Man, Parasyte and to a lesser extend Hellsing Ultimate and Tokyo Ghoul are the shows that aren't just extremely violent or edgy shounen but actually deal with adult situations, characters with complex motivations or adults dealing with every day adult problems. Attack on Titan and Gundam can border on that when they get into philosophy, politics and war but they stay very entrenched in the concept of a young hero coming of age and fighting for whatever he believes in. In the case of Gundam it's all about idealistic protagonists who think they know better than adults and that's honestly pretty grating at this point. The coming of age story appeals to adults who want to remember youth but those who crave stories that are more relatable to adults tire of the shounen formula. Shounen is however without question the most popular genre of anime in America and plenty of adults enjoy shounen anime.

For better or worse, Toonami has incorporated a lot of what made it appealing to young viewers into the current block on Adult Swim. 10 years ago, DBZ airing on Adult Swim would seem unthinkable but now it's one of their top performing acquisitions. Shows like Black Clover which don't even have the kind of grit Hunter x Hunter and JoJo have only made this more apparent. My Hero Academia would cement it even further and that's one reason I'd be totally okay with Toonami never airing it despite how good a show it can be. So while I think Zeni is exaggerating things, Toonami does have a real problem with how teen-centric it has become. That's why Lupin was a breath of fresh air. It focused on adults in adult situations and while it was pretty zany a lot of the time it was still relatable to adults in ways shounen anime are not. So I dearly hope they continue to air at least one new adult-centric anime at a time whenever possible if not more than one given they run 5.5 hours.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1