UnevenEdge

So Chise's hair is actually red and she's Japanese...?

pail

1 hour ago, pail said:

I'm still not buying it.

And maybe that's the joke in and of itself.

That the most unbelievable thing in a show with magic, faeries, and dragons... Is a Japanese person with red hair.

I mean it's not RED red it's more Auburn (so reddish brown) but it IS possible though MONUMENTALLY rare for a Japanese person to have wavy reddish hair

1 hour ago, Daos said:

What about all the anime characters with blue and green hair?

Those characters don't apply here.

In this particular show, one of the main characters' ethnicity and hair colour are cemented as contextual fact directly by another character in the show.

I don't remember the line off the top of my head but it's something along the lines of "Ah. You have such beautiful red hair. It's rare for an Asian to have red hair. This will make your wand very awesome-eru."

Not literally that but, honestly, not far off either.

It's essentially setting the precedent that everything in the show is literally as it appears.

Which means if any green-haired gals do show up, that means they have dyed their hair.

It's just a weird level of self-awareness for a show. Particularly a show like this. Because it's primarily a drama and not a comedy.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

It was also mentioned at the end of the last episode that she has some European genetics in there somewhere. I.e., you're not the only one who's noticed she doesn't look typically Japanese.

I must have missed that part.

But sure by some miracle of genetics Chise's recessive every tenth other generational gene was activated therefore Japanese gingeru.

Okay.

29 minutes ago, pail said:

I must have missed that part.

But sure by some miracle of genetics Chise's recessive every tenth other generational gene was activated therefore Japanese gingeru.

Okay.

biracial people can look like either more like just one  parent or a mix of both

take Rashida Jones and Wentwoth miller, they just look white but they do in fact have one Black parent

where as Halle Berry clearly looks Black (albeit light skinned)

Edited by mochi

15 minutes ago, Spindack said:

Red Hair. Oh! You must be talking about Magus Bride! I love that show! And not all anime and manga characters are necessarily Japanese. It's fantasy. They could be any race...The world is diverse...

She is specifically referred to as "Asian" by another character in the show.

And she's from Japan.

Just putting two and two together here.