UnevenEdge

RIP Michiru Shimada

Satou Kazuma

When I got accepted into RC, I submitted a "sample review" of any episode of any  show. I chose Episode 7 of Little Witch Academia, talking about both Akko's push to try and find any talent that she's good at so that she wouldn't be expelled, and Ursula's role as a mentor, whose faith in Akko is tested by her inability to score well on exams. This episode culminates in the push that Ursula gets to defend Akko and gain a backbone by lecturing Finnelan for trying to do everything in her power to expel her. In her defense, Ursula tells Finnelan:

"You may see Miss Kagari as just a poor student unable to use magic if you compare her to her classmates. But she has learned to understand fish language, and although she has yet to master it, she's continuously improving her metamorphosis magic! You should not be comparing her to other students, but to how she was on the day of her enrollment! Should you not be appraising how she is unable to ignore those suffering before her, putting their feelings above her own desires? Putting grades or outward appearances above that is pure foolishness! I approve of her!"

Michiru Shimada has definitely been behind so many great scripts, but if this was her writing, she really inspired me. I was really down on myself throughout the first half of the year because I took a career change, and only my gf had faith in me while I was doing a string of shitty temp jobs until I finally got a lucrative part time to go along with my blogging hobby. But to hear Ursula fighting that hard to justify Akko's existence was very touching. To have someone that would fight that passionately for you is something everyone could wish for, and had me feeling very emotional. LWA was quite the roller coaster, but I loved it from start to finish, and how Shimada wrote the connection between Akko and her friends as well as the relationship between Akko & Ursula left a strong impression on me that really brightened up my year. Thank you, Shimada. Rest easy and peacefully. 

Edited by imchapp.in
  • Like 4