UnevenEdge

Crunchyroll Hacked

The1gairon

About 12 hours to 2 hours ago this Saturday morning, Crunchyroll was hit by someone trying to redirect its URL to their own, and telling users to "download out new Crunchy Viewer app".  What it actually does is download a piece of malware that can seriously harm your computer!  This doesn't sound like the type of hack that would say take your credit card hostage, or use all your sessions for themselves- if it was just a redirect, nothing from your account should be affected.  Crunchyroll's (foreign??) Twitter account says it's not a hack, when in fact what I just described is one of those very definitions of one.

The worst part is that at this time, Crunchyroll isn't even 100% certain it's even a redirect! Their English-speaking Twitter account has said nothing on the matter!  And there is even some saying there's a possibility that it could be downloading RANSOMWARE, a more serious type of malware that steals your information with the exchange of a large sum of money!

Oh, and did I mention that the pirating anime site Kissanime is under a very similar hack occurring at the exact same time as Crunchyroll!??

I have no idea what this could mean for the Funimation site (I have yet to go there since hearing of the hack), or any other anime site, but I would be wary when using any of these today and tomorrow!

You may now. Crap your pants.  Synchronized.  In a dance musical number.

The worst part is that at this time, Crunchyroll isn't even 100% certain it's even a redirect! Their English-speaking Twitter account has said nothing on the matter!

That's because they're all still asleep in CA. :)  Although I imagine a few of their tech folk got woken up to, "Achtung!  Aufwachen!! Du bist angegriffen!!!"

Sounds pretty much like what happened to ANN a short while back, with malicious code added into the mix.

That's because they're all still asleep in CA. :)  Although I imagine a few of their tech folk got woken up to, "Achtung!  Aufwachen!! Du bist angegriffen!!!"

Sounds pretty much like what happened to ANN a short while back, with malicious code added into the mix.

Do you think hackers intentionally target the time of the day when they know people in charge will go to sleep according to their timezones, so there will be a delay in fixing it?

emoji-thinking-3d-model-low-poly-max-obj-3ds-fbx.jpg

Ah, this would explain why a 404 error appeared on my end, when I was on my way to watch Hell Girl Season 4: Episode 1 this morning.

There's a Season 4? I have some catching up to do.

Haven't watched it since it was broadcast on IFC so many years ago.

By the way, it sucks about what happened to CrunchyRoll. Tbf, I don't use their service, so I wouldn't know how bad this is.

There's a Season 4? I have some catching up to do.

Haven't watched it since it was broadcast on IFC so many years ago.

Surprisingly, yes there is. I just discovered the news for myself the other morning. Hell Girl's 4th season premiered this July in Japan. The 3rd season was nearly 10 years ago and I remember the ending of Season 3 feeling like a cliffhanger.

I wonder what made Japan release a 4th season all these years later.

Not that bad. It only lasted a day. The ANN hack lasted WEEKS.

That's because it was a completely different kind of intrusion.  As I understand it, Crunchyroll got intercepted via Cloudflare (which is unsettling, since Cloudflare is supposed to be the anti-hack proxy gateway designed precisely to prevent this sort of thing), while the ANN hack was because a live-chat rep at Macdonald's phone provider let the hacker transfer his number to a new SIM card without proper credentials, which opened the door to their being able to transfer ownership of ANN's DNS registry, as well as access ANN-related Twitter accounts to send threatening tweets to get @anime and @ANNZac's accounts deleted (Twitter gave the @anime acct. back, but refused to restore Zac's.).  Working through the bureaucracy to get the registry back was much more difficult than stealing it in the first place, which may or may not make sense (it should be at least equally difficult to transfer it).

So patching up a Cloudflare breach was orders of magnitude easier than rectifying an unauthorized registry transfer to a foreign country (Hong Kong, China).

That's because it was a completely different kind of intrusion.  As I understand it, Crunchyroll got intercepted via Cloudflare (which is unsettling, since Cloudflare is supposed to be the anti-hack proxy gateway designed precisely to prevent this sort of thing), while the ANN hack was because a live-chat rep at Macdonald's phone provider let the hacker transfer his number to a new SIM card without proper credentials, which opened the door to their being able to transfer ownership of ANN's DNS registry, as well as access ANN-related Twitter accounts to send threatening tweets to get @anime and @ANNZac's accounts deleted (Twitter gave the @anime acct. back, but refused to restore Zac's.).  Working through the bureaucracy to get the registry back was much more difficult than stealing it in the first place, which may or may not make sense (it should be at least equally difficult to transfer it).

So patching up a Cloudflare breach was orders of magnitude easier than rectifying an unauthorized registry transfer to a foreign country (Hong Kong, China).

You already know 100 times more about both of these than I do.

• 2 months later...