UnevenEdge

Black Clover

mochi

I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever seen a more blatant knock off in my life(''>_>'')

we all give Naruto grief for borrowing a little too heavily from Hunter X Hunter on Toonami night, but Black clover has nearly the same premise

(Naruto Premise) a young blonde boy who's hated by his villiage wishes to one day become Hokage(his countries version of a President), and his rival/best friend is a gloomy black haired boy who the villiage loves

(Black Clover premise) a young Ash blonde boy who's hated by his villiage wishes to become the new Wizard King(see above) and his rival/best friend is a gloomy black haired boy who the villiage loves

not to menton "Asta"latest?cb=20150625134301&path-prefix=es(the protagonist) is dangerously close to being a palate swap of Naruto 284121.jpg

they look nearly as similar as Atolilatest?cb=20061005234710 and Shinolatest?cb=20070608221011 from .hack//G.U. and at least in that case it was within the same series and the resemblance was actually a plot point

I collect the manga and am current with it. Needless to say I greatly enjoy it, for what it is, but I won't deny it's flaws. Primarily its highly derivative nature from other shonen works. On that note though it surpasses Naruto in one aspect: Its Sasuke equivalent character isn't total and complete shit like the actual Sasuke. That aside it's a fun enough read, but I'm rather forgiving of most things in general. And the art is pretty great, but that's highly subjective. In the most recent arc it has committed a large sin however: introducing light novel only characters with no prior explanation expecting the readers to know who they are. It was a pretty baffling decision that Tabata never should have done or been allowed to do. Regardless, I'm looking forward to the anime announcement likely coming this weekend.

I collect the manga and am current with it. Needless to say I greatly enjoy it, for what it is, but I won't deny it's flaws. Primarily its highly derivative nature from other shonen works. On that note though it surpasses Naruto in one aspect: Its Sasuke equivalent character isn't total and complete shit like the actual Sasuke. That aside it's a fun enough read, but I'm rather forgiving of most things in general. And the art is pretty great, but that's highly subjective. In the most recent arc it has committed a large sin however: introducing light novel only characters with no prior explanation expecting the readers to know who they are. It was a pretty baffling decision that Tabata never should have done or been allowed to do. Regardless, I'm looking forward to the anime announcement likely coming this weekend.

so basically it's actually slightly better than the series it's copying (that doesn't surprise me)

I'm just fascinated that such a blatant rip-off was allowed, whether or not it's decent as a series on it's own merrit, I'm just saying....they could've been a liiiiittle bit more subtle