UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

Konohana Kitan 1 - 10

And the sisters seem to both envy the other, how ironic. Phew, finally caught up. This has been a very good series to this point, but I wasn't expecting it to be so emotionally draining. I was expecting some more standard cgdct escapades. Stuff like taking care of the bubble goddess from last episode or shrunken Satsuki from the first part of this episode was what I was expecting out of the entire show. Instead, for a long stretch there we got stories reminiscent of Natsume's Book of Friends or Mushishi. In particular that eighth episode had me blubbering like a baby by the end, but really that whole stretch of 4 through 8 all brought tears to some degree. So now everyone from that line-up of characters that flashes by in the opening has appeared except for that heavy-set guy in the hat and coat. My guess is we'll get his story next week and then have a finale centering on the girls.

Mr. Osomatsu #9 to #12

Blend S #10

The Ancient Magus' Bride #5

In order: Funny, relaxing, and...

extremely tragic. Honestly, most of this mini-arc reminded me of whatever happened at Lake Yasogami in Dimension W. Both stories had some crazy dude who did violent things, and the heroine had to go through their memories(?) to help them repent and go to the afterlife. Also, both took place near bodies of water and had episodes rated TV-MA. Of course, this one was superior, but most people would assume that because it didn't have a gratuitous Chise fanservice scene.

TAFZq2T.jpg

I'm liking that Osomatsu a lot better than when it started. Some of the jokes are still out there and not really my thing, but more of them are hitting. "Iyami and Chibita's Rental Girlfriend" is probably the highlight of the show so far; it successfully translates the comedy to a longer format and is never boring nor annoying. Even Totoko came off better in it.

Grimoire of Zero 1 - 12(END)

Well that was certainly interesting.:D Not a bad little fantasy adventure series though the thing that stuck out to me most was the unusual way the story unfolded. It's not every series where the primary antagonist just up and does a face-turn with basically no consequences in the penultimate episode. But sure enough that's what happened. Thirteen was even added to the group shot of the protagonists at the end of the opening theme for the final episode for crying out loud! Honestly it kinda felt like if Inuyasha was only 12 episodes long and Naraku just decided to become a good guy in episode 11 or something. :D Some may call that lousy writing but oddly enough I didn't really mind it in this scenario. I was kinda disappointed by some way too obvious reveals that I felt were held back too long like Albus being Sorena's granddaughter(and especially a girl in the first place) and Thirteen also being "Him." But considering how Thirteen was treated after I guess it didn't really matter.

And there were a couple of nice moments I wasn't expecting. That magic vial Thirteen gave to Mercenary being one. I thought for sure they were gonna forget about that until near the end and it was gonna play out as one final villainous macguffin that would need to be dealt with, but no. Instead Mercenary actually successfully used it to free Zero, so that was nice. I was also glad that wolf-guy ended up being a good guy. His design stuck out to me right at the beginning and I was glad we got a lot of him instead of just a one-off appearance. Although I will add in hindsight they probably should have taken out him owning the sex slaves in his first appearance if they were trying to make him at all sympathetic. But then considering they managed to even make Thirteen a good guy by the end I guess that's a relatively minor complaint. The relationship between Mercenary and Zero was fairly nicely executed. Though part of me feels like the series literally could have ended right after that episode 6 cliffhanger had Mercenary not left and patched things up with Zero then and there. I mean thinking about it logically the rest of the events could have been avoided after that. Zero would still curbstomp Thirteen, then they could all just carry out Albus' plan without the added hassle of having to deal with the rest of the Zero Mages, the end. 7 episodes, 8 tops is all that would be needed I'd imagine. Again it comes back to how oddly it all played out. But I guess I'm willing to overlook it since, as said, Zero and Mercenary's relationship was sweet to watch play out as it did anyway. But I guess I'm rambling at this point so uh yeah. Pretty alright little series. Generous 7/10.

Oh, I also love that the show randomly gave us a shot of the dog with the kids in the very last episode. Wasn't expecting closure on that front. :D

Edited by BUU8800

Kakegurui 1 - 12(END)

Not too much to say about this one really. Just another Kaiji with tits and sexual overtones only probably not quite as good. Still haven't actually finished that by the way, it's been on my hold list for what must be over a year now. Maybe one day. I guess I don't really watch too many gambling anime either come to think of it. Those two are the only ones coming to mind for me at the moment. I guess maybe No Game, No Life counts but that's still in hold limbo with Kaiji. But uh yeah, it was kinda entertaining for the over the top facial expressions, situations, and tits, though some of the shock entertainment value definitely waned as it went on. Most of the games' rules went way over my head too so I just kinda watched everything unfold. Certain characters, the girl with the gun fetish in particular, were just obnoxious. Others, like the dude whose hair ended up turning white, I actually kinda liked and wanted to win against the MC. Maybe he'll end up married to that nails girl he lost his life to or something, I could certainly think of worse fates than that. And hey, at least he'll stand out more with that hair.

:D Nothing too great or anything, but it was at least interesting enough to where I was able to watch it all in under 24 hours. Which considering my December quest to plow through as many anime I fell behind on for the last 6 or 7 months as I can hell I'll take it. Generous 6/10.

Konohana Kitan 11

Yeah as I figured the big dude in the coat and hat from the opening appeared this week. Who knew Okami was such a beauty? Second half with Okiku had that Toy Story-esque tinge of sadness to it. Wish she knew Lily got her happy ending, but at least we the audience do. And who knows maybe she does too. :)

Edited by BUU8800

Inuyashiki 10

Fucking finally he kicked his ass. Pretty emotional scenes with Inuyashiki healing Mari and then everyone else while the people look on in awe. Not sure how much time's left for Hiro to cause anymore damage with no arms and half a head. Even if he pulls off some regeneration somehow or something there's still just one episode left, but we'll see.

Classroom of the Elite 1 - 12(END)

Aaaand add this to my list of successful December marathons. This series was...interesting. It didn't start that way mind you. The first 3 episodes seemed particularly slow. With obvious twists like the whole points thing and Kushida having a dark side taking waaaay too long to get revealed. It got better as it went along though thankfully, bizarre fanservice episode 7 aside. And I quite enjoyed watching the last arc unfold. Or as I like to call it: Lord of the Flies with a Great Panty Thief Interlude Mixed With a Dose of Careful Icarus. By which I mean:

:D And watching that reveal at the end was fairly satisfying. Honestly going in I was expecting this to be over the top Kakegurui kinda crazy shenanigans. Again those early episodes didn't really turn out that way but there was some ridiculousness by the end. Character wise they were all more or less fine considering what they were designed to do. The vast majority of the girls had big beautiful tits, which is a plus in my book, and our semi-maniacal monotone mc was alright. Though his final little reveal of being somewhat psychotic fell flat for me. There were those over the top ones too of course, that foreign bodyguard of the Class C head springs to mind. All in all not a bad watch. I'd probably check out more if it was coming but I'm fine either way. I'm feeling a 6 for this one but I guess I'll be nice and say 7/10.

Edited by BUU8800

On 12/7/2017 at 3:49 PM, Blatch said:

The Ancient Magus Bride #4

Blend S #9

The Boy and the Beast

Hide contents

The movie was good, especially since it somehow caused a heightened emotional state within me. But, begrudgingly, it did rekindle my interest for our club to stop using KissAnime. I mean, at the very least, they could go buy the Blu-ray of whatever they wanted to watch (though that would spur a different problem) and either sell it or give it away at the end. They have the money, and I wouldn't mind doing sweepstakes for everyone to participate in.

2J0O0jh.jpg

Hide contents

KA, really? The least they could do is DL.

• Like 1

Blend S 11

You know, in real life I'm not a big fan of dogs. But in anime they can be pretty darn cute such as in this episode. Love was certainly in the air this week, but with just one episode left is there any chance for any of the ships to set sail? Next week's episode is called "I Love You!" after all, but who knows?

Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion

Squid Girl S2 #1 and OVA #3

Hacka Doll the Animation #1 and #2

That movie was such a mindfuck. I had a general idea of what would happen, but it still wowed me with superior art, animation, and the ability to piss people off while still being an awesome work. I cannot blame Shaft at all for not doing anything else Madoka in the four years since this came out. Frankly, I feel like the better decision is to not make a sequel work at all, that supposed "concept movie" be damned. I just hope they're making enough money off the franchise through royalties and/or contributing art to the spin-off projects.

iKAjEm6.jpg

lmmqurk.jpg

Hunter x Hunter OVA 7-8

I liked the foreshadowing with Franklin and Bonolenov spotting Kalluto inside their base while Hisoka traded places with Illumi, as well as the symbolism attributed to the extended scene with Pakunoda and the stray cat. The translators totally misinterpreted the symbolism of "heading east", though; can't be helped, they probably didn't know Chrollo was referring to the Nen exorcist on Greed Island when he said that. Finally, you just can't not love Hisoka's pelvic thrusting.

b536b61387b0f0c1b0bf0fe2a61334e3908697c2

Rewatched Tokyo Ghoul 3 and Tokyo Ghoul Root A 7

The time has come for me to start writing another chapter of that fake anime idea I've been occasionally mentioning here, which means it's also time for more rewatching of older episodes containing relevant staff I selected. This next episode's director is Souichi Shimada, and being somewhat newer to the direction game than most and limiting himself to mostly his home base of Pierrot, any stuff of his I've already watched was fairly limited, just four episodes of Tokyo Ghoul/Root A. As such, I selected the #NotAllGhouls and reminder that Tsukiyama is creepy as fuck episodes, them being the first of each season he directed (OPs excluded), and both shared the atmospheric details I needed. On-screen fades from one lighting style to another, characters present in establishing shots between places, cloudy skies over any other kind of weather... Yesssss perfect. [insert evil smiley here]

As for the episodes themselves, the night-and-day differences between them were something to behold. Black-haired wuss Kaneki vs. white-haired emo Kaneki, tsun-tsun Touka vs. dere-dere Touka, Hinami in her debut appearance vs. Hinami after a season's worth of development, the most fun CCG Inspector being Mado vs. it being Juzo, and the always-unchanging Tsukiyama. Edgy the first season was, and inferior to the first the second was, but I enjoyed rewatching both of these episodes.

[for shibalba]

• Like 1

Inuyashiki is my #1 right now. There have been a lot of good shows over the years, but I honestly consider it to be one of the best of the past decade. Loving every single moment of it.

Ancient Magus Bride has been a treat as well. Again, definitely a quality series.

Zodiac War, Dies Irae, and King's Game have been guilty pleasures. Not great shows, but they're fun enough for mindless gore and the like imo.

Fate/Apocrypha has been okay enough. Nowhere near as good as Fate/Zero and UBW were imo, but still mostly enjoyable. Save for one hugely jumbled mess of an episode early on (I think Episode 6? can't remember for sure), it's at least been watchable.

Beyond that, I'm still watching big shonens like Black Clover, Boruto, Dragon Ball Super, and One Piece.

Sagrada Reset 1 - 24(END)

Well this turned out to be quite a ride. I wasn't too high on this show initially. The monotonous way many of the characters spoke made it feel a bit lifeless and boring. Thankfully it picked up and by the end turned into a roller coaster of intrigue and excitement. Seriously Kei's battle of wits with Urachi over the last few episodes was pretty awesome to watch unfold. It reminded me of the best parts of Death Note, only perhaps even more impressive. The whole Haruki Soma Kei love triangle was interesting. From early on I was rooting for Haruki, so I'm glad that came to pass but also was pleased to see Soma avoid her initial fate. Near the end I actually began to get bad vibes that something might happen to Haruki but thankfully that was avoided. And yeah, she's definitely making the right call in deciding to grow her hair out again.:D I'm feeling a strong 7 or a generous 8 with this one. I'll give it the latter.

Edited by BUU8800

Konohana Kitan 12(END)

At first I was thinking she was maybe Okami's long lost daughter or something, but turns out that actually WAS Okami much younger. Interesting, even in the end this show surprises me. And I even teared up just a bit by the end, one last time. This show was good at getting me to do that. As I've said before it reminded me of a cgdct version of Natsume's Book of Friends, which I mean as a compliment. Solid 8/10.

11 hours ago, elfie said:

Get a HDMI hub/separator?

Yeah I have a hub, BUT, the thing is when I plug the hub into my TV, only one device registers. I"m either going to have to buy a TV with more HDMI plugs, OR I'll just have to plug each one in when I watch it, then unplug it, plug the other one in watch that. Still if that's the case it sounds like a pain in the ass. I can deal with it. CE La Vi