UnevenEdge

My Vita broke.

Greeny

I updated pkgj and rebooted Vita Shell but was left with a black screen. Powered the system on and the screen was still black but everything else was working (could use the touch functions and hear sound). Couldn't access the safe mode menu at all so I couldn't troubleshoot. Decided to disassemble it (which I've done several times before with no issues so I'm hoping it wasn't human error) just to see if somehow the ribbon cable for the screen came loose but it was fine. Now the power light comes on but no screen, sounds or anything. I'm calling it a day for now but I think she's done. And I thought this bad week was over.

Mine won't charge. I discovered that I still have another one, but it either doesn't power on or I still have the used one that for some reason came with what appears to be a game over or scene transition of Bowser (I want to say Mario 64) burned into the screen.

3 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

Mine won't charge. I discovered that I still have another one, but it either doesn't power on or I still have the used one that for some reason came with what appears to be a game over or scene transition of Bowser (I want to say Mario 64) burned into the screen.

Have you tried replacing the battery? Or there's a setting that can turn off USB charging. Maybe that got turned off? I'm not an expert or anything but those are the two things I can think of off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, Greeny said:

Have you tried replacing the battery? Or there's a setting that can turn off USB charging. Maybe that got turned off? I'm not an expert or anything but those are the two things I can think of off the top of my head.

It won't turn on even while plugged in. I don't know anything about repairing it.

I don't even know if the one with Bowser burned into the screen still turns on.

10 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

It won't turn on even while plugged in. I don't know anything about repairing it.

I don't even know if the one with Bowser burned into the screen still turns on.

Does the power light come on? Because it sounds similar to what's happening to mine.

Posted (edited)

So I replaced the screen a while ago and still had the old one which still worked but had weird artifacts or something on it. Anyway, I plugged that one in and it turns out the Vita was working the whole time but for some reason the new screen stopped working and there's no sound.

Edit: Audio through headphones works so it's a speaker issue. Hoping it's software related.

Edited by Greeny

So at least on the slim models the speakers are actually connected by pins on the back panel that touch contact pads on the smaller motherboards so they won't even produce any sound if the back panel isn't on. I put the back panel on just enough to make contact with the pads and the speakers work just fine. 

I think the issue with the screen might be slight corrosion on the ribbon cable. I cleaned it off with IPA but it still looks like it might have caused some damage to the cable itself. I might see if I can take the cable from the old screen and put it on the new one.