UnevenEdge

The Echo.. echo.. ECHO

We hit the library :): regularly :):

found this little snippet in a book titled "Serious Noticing":

((laughing ((in tandem)) at those 'tiny black clouds :):

" 'A fortune-teller once read my cards and said that if it wasn't for a tiny black cloud hanging over me I could do great things and not only for my country but for all mankind.' "

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, suziefish said:

We hit the library :): regularly :):

found this little snippet in a book titled "Serious Noticing":

((laughing ((in tandem)) at those 'tiny black clouds :):

" 'A fortune-teller once read my cards and said that if it wasn't for a tiny black cloud hanging over me I could do great things and not only for my country but for all mankind.' "

is that a quote  from something

• Like 2

yes, as noted above the quote, it's from a book called "Serious Noticing"  It's a group of Selected Essays by James Wood

another one in there talks about George Orwell and how he may have come to write Nineteen EightyFour (1984) .. apparently it was a response to the abuse of power he noticed as a student at Eton, and his stint in the English Army

he had a scholarship to Eton, and the more 'well-to-do' students never let him forget he came from a relatively impoverished background..

all the essays included in the book are thought-provoking. (to say the least :):

• Like 1

1 minute ago, suziefish said:

yes, as noted above the quote, it's from a book called "Serious Noticing"  It's a group of Selected Essays by James Wood

another one in there talks about George Orwell and how he may have come to write Nineteen EightyFour (1984) .. apparently it was a response to the abuse of power he noticed as a student at Eton, and his stint in the English Army

he had a scholarship to Eton, and the more 'well-to-do' students never let him forget he came from a relatively impoverished background..

all the essays included in the book are thought-provoking. (to say the least :):

one of my favorite books are The Hunt for October and Jurassic Park

• Like 2