UnevenEdge

Chainsaw Man S2 possibly screwed thanks to cranky weebs / capitalism

Some info about the anime production: https://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/672004 

Was the unusual "100% investment" a success?

――I think it was a big challenge, but how do you look back on the results so far?

Until now, I had never received so much attention before my work was released to the world. Since we are a young company, we struggled with how to take that pressure and give our best performance.

It was a good learning experience to experience detailed rights procedures, licensing, product planning, and other work that the production committee used to do. If you were a big production company, you probably already had that kind of experience.

It can be said that it was a complete success in terms of income and expenses. However, I'm still not satisfied with whether it has the same impact as the most recent Jujutsu Kaisen.

Some titles sell a lot of (DVD and Blu-ray) packages, while others can be seen a lot on streaming. To be honest, I wish this work had reached the audience who paid for the package, and I wanted to go further.

In the nature of Chainsaw Man, we will explore how to approach the target audience who will pay for it.

S1 was a success, but because it wasn't JJK-level huge (in Japan at least) and Otaku decrying the anime's cinema-literate style and wanting more generic shonen shit I guess, MAPPA will be shifting gears in how they approach the property on the future.

There's also reports that S1's director has stepped down from the role, so I hope this isn't a One Punch Man S1 > S2 situation but...

Edited by MasqueradeOverture

• 2 weeks later...

That’s a bummer.  Honestly, when I heard CSM was getting an anime adaptation I had my reservations because the manga is so gory and I wasn’t sure how they would approach it but S1 was great!  I really enjoyed it.  

IMO, of course, CSM is not going to be JJK level-big (they have Gojo 🤩) but it def deserves a S2. Hopefully MAPPA comes back to it and does S2 well.

They flat out said financially, the show was a massive success.  It's just the aesthetic stuff they're contemplating redoing, especially given the tone.

JJK is a high standard.  Again, JJK 0 outgrossed the Bob's Burgers movie.