UnevenEdge

Super Mario Bros. (1993) with Hoskins and Leguizamo

Icarus27k

Super Mario Bros. 93 isn't that bad.  It was disappointing when it first came out

but it's a guilty pleasure of mine.  I still like the movie even though most hate it.

It helps that I like the cast a lot.  Especially the actors who played Iggy and Spike.

Fisher Stevens has been one of my favorite actors since I first watched the movie.

Anyone who says the Mario 93 movie is better than the new one is a contrarian troll.  That film killed Bob Hoskins’ career and would have killed Dennis Hopper’s had Speed not been around the next year.  It’s a terrible film from every perspective, tone, performance, script, etc.   Yes, Hopper says “MONKEY!” funny but that can’t save a film that looks like it’s going through a real time identity crisis.

There.  The one funny scene in the movie and it’s not even funny on purpose.

Anyway the new film is fine.  It’s the film that I think people were expecting in 93 before it was turned into an LSD user’s attempt to ape Tim Burton’s Batman with the wrong franchise. The spectacle of the scenes is tons of fun and if you see it in one of those fancy pants Regal theaters with the moving seats and mist in your face, it really ramps up the spectacle of the action scenes.  The characters are likable enough but the plot does absolutely no breathing and it can make a viewer feel rushed.

Also the voice cast does a mostly good job, except Seth Rogen who’s not doing a voice, but I think that’s the joke.  (That and Cranky Kong who sounds like they wanted to get Mel Brooks but the dude is 96).  Jack Black is a great Bowser and “Peaches” is a Tenacious D song through and through.  Pratt is fine, especially since it’s obvious he’s playing a Brooklynite.

• Like 1

Yeah, I really enjoyed the new film too. Anyone who said the 93 movie is definitely, as Jman said, a contrarian troll (don't get me wrong, I liked the 93 movie as a kid).

I'd give this movie a 6.5 out of 10. It had much room for improvement, but it was respectful to the Nintendo franchise and could have been worse.

6.5-7 sounds about right.  I would up it to 7.5 if you see it in the 4DX theater with the moving seats and mist in your face because it really does give that feeling of being in a video game world by upping the spectacle of the experienced which is an experience you just can’t duplicate at home.

Granted the ONLY reason I paid the surcharge for 4DX (I have a monthly Regal subscription) was because the film was sold out damn near everywhere else, but it made the film way more fun, so fair play.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...