UnevenEdge

Day 2 of training over

Swimmod_Luna

Yippie

I think this is gonna be a fun job but the more I learn about it the more I worry about how hard it's gonna be to keep it <_<. Right now I'm considered temporary so I don't have any of the benefits or union rights that permanent employees do. That means they can let me go for any reason at any time. They keep talking about how understaffed they are and how many people they need but they also make it sound like permanent employees will be quick to throw you under the bus to save themselves from being disciplined or if they just plain don't like you for some reason. There are cameras everywhere so they can't lie and say I did something I didn't or anything but that also means I need to always be diligent in doing my job and documenting everything.

i mean at any job you are disposable as long as you are at-will. hell my job could fire me tomorrow and there'd be nothing i could do about it

But when you have a union there are procedures you have to go through to fire someone. Like, a permanent employee is part of a union so short of something egregious like assaulting a client there are steps that have to be taken to correct behaviors before termination. They don't have that with us, like they keep telling stories about things that have happened where a long time permanent employee and a temp were both involved in a situation and didn't do something right, and highlighting the fact that the temp got let go while the permanent employee just got a write-up or suspension or something.

But when you have a union there are procedures you have to go through to fire someone. Like, a permanent employee is part of a union so short of something egregious like assaulting a client there are steps that have to be taken to correct behaviors before termination. They don't have that with us, like they keep telling stories about things that have happened where a long time permanent employee and a temp were both involved in a situation and didn't do something right, and highlighting the fact that the temp got let go while the permanent employee just got a write-up or suspension or something.

well then i'd keep applying for jobs just in case

well then i'd keep applying for jobs just in case

I'm hoping they're just trying to scare us and it's not that bad. Like it sounds like as long as you document EVERYTHING and alert a supervisor or someone else when something happens you should be fine. They keep saying how understaffed they are and how they have a bunch of permanent positions open/coming open soon. We shall see.

I'm hoping they're just trying to scare us and it's not that bad. Like it sounds like as long as you document EVERYTHING and alert a supervisor or someone else when something happens you should be fine. They keep saying how understaffed they are and how they have a bunch of permanent positions open/coming open soon. We shall see.

idk, any job that told me "OH YEAH YOU HAVE THIS JOB RIGHT NOW BUT YOU NEVER KNOOOOOOOOOOW" i'd still keep applying but i trust no one but myself

idk, any job that told me "OH YEAH YOU HAVE THIS JOB RIGHT NOW BUT YOU NEVER KNOOOOOOOOOOW" i'd still keep applying but i trust no one but myself

I mean they don't say it like that. They show confidence that we'll all become permanent, I think they just want us to be ready to know what it takes to get there and to know what to expect.

Idk I'd hate to get a job offer while I still have this job, pass on it, then get let go from this job a month later or something. The pay is good and it's the field of work I want to be in, plus the benefits for permanent employees are excellent. I don't want to give it up if I don't have to.

I mean they don't say it like that. They show confidence that we'll all become permanent, I think they just want us to be ready to know what it takes to get there and to know what to expect.

Idk I'd hate to get a job offer while I still have this job, pass on it, then get let go from this job a month later or something. The pay is good and it's the field of work I want to be in, plus the benefits for permanent employees are excellent. I don't want to give it up if I don't have to.

wouldn't it suck more to get let go and have no alternative rather than apply for something and keep the networking contact in your back pocket just in case?

Idk it didn't take me that long to find this job. I'm optimistic.

that was this job. are you sure you'd be so lucky if they decided they didn't need you anymore tomorrow? why not spend the time to do it now? you'll look more confident in interviews because you already have a job. the interviewer has to offer you something, otherwise they're just wasting your time and theirs. always work from the high ground while you have it, don't start looking after your position to bargain has been eroded.

that was this job. are you sure you'd be so lucky if they decided they didn't need you anymore tomorrow? why not spend the time to do it now? you'll look more confident in interviews because you already have a job. the interviewer has to offer you something, otherwise they're just wasting your time and theirs. always work from the high ground while you have it, don't start looking after your position to bargain has been eroded.

What would I even say when they ask me when I could start? "I don't know, maybe tomorrow, maybe never." Like, by your logic it seems like any employee in an at-will position should be actively seeking other jobs at all times.

What would I even say when they ask me when I could start? "I don't know, maybe tomorrow, maybe never." Like, by your logic it seems like any employee in an at-will position should be actively seeking other jobs at all times.

well if they offer it on the spot, and it's better than what you have now, then why not? or, be honest and say that you don't think you'd be a good fit for that specific role, but you think that you'd still make a good fit for the company should something else come up. if they don't offer it to you on the spot, which most places won't, shortly after or shortly before the second interview say that you found other employment but ask if you can keep in touch. get their business cards. and yeah, any employee in an at-will position should always keep on top of their interviewing skills. always be one step ahead of your employer, you never know when they'll up and decide to close your division.

well if they offer it on the spot, and it's better than what you have now, then why not? or, be honest and say that you don't think you'd be a good fit for that specific role, but you think that you'd still make a good fit for the company should something else come up. if they don't offer it to you on the spot, which most places won't, shortly after or shortly before the second interview say that you found other employment but ask if you can keep in touch. get their business cards. and yeah, any employee in an at-will position should always keep on top of their interviewing skills. always be one step ahead of your employer, you never know when they'll up and decide to close your division.

Thats the thing tho I'm probably not going to find anything better in this field with my current experience and education. I mean I can't get all the benefits now but once I can (I'm staying positive, when I become permanent, not if), it's pretty unbeatable. Plus pretty much any employer is gonna have a probationary period where you can't get benefits and can more easily get fired. It happens to be a bit longer for the state (one year), but it will be worth it when I become permanent.

Thats the thing tho I'm probably not going to find anything better in this field with my current experience and education. I mean I can't get all the benefits now but once I can (I'm staying positive, when I become permanent, not if), it's pretty unbeatable. Plus pretty much any employer is gonna have a probationary period where you can't get benefits and can more easily get fired. It happens to be a bit longer for the state (one year), but it will be worth it when I become permanent.

can u send me those benefits. all i have is a lowly ramen noodle

Stop putting 20% of your income into retirement

i don't put 20% of it into retirement. something less than that. also, the $3.50 in there will need to last when i'm old. i need ur money. i'm having to carry the internet megabits back and forth myself to save money

i don't put 20% of it into retirement. something less than that. also, the $3.50 in there will need to last when i'm old. i need ur money. i'm having to carry the internet megabits back and forth myself to save money

But I need that money in case they decide not to keep me permanentaly

but ur money will help me in case my new position doesn't work out. think about the vast amount of ramen noodles we could split

Or it will help me if my new position doesn't work out. And I'm better at budgeting my money so I can actually buy real food and even splurge on some pizza or Chinese take-out like once a week or so.

Or it will help me if my new position doesn't work out. And I'm better at budgeting my money so I can actually buy real food and even splurge on some pizza or Chinese take-out like once a week or so.

i had chinese food ones many moons ago. or maybe that was me eating my pillow in a dream.

i had chinese food ones many moons ago. or maybe that was me eating my pillow in a dream.

I just had it this past weekend.

My credit card balance was like $200 less this month than it usually is and the payment isn't due until after my first pay day AND I have enough in checking right now to cover my next round of bills and still have like $350 leftover (have to estimate how much my electric and gas bill will be but I estimated high on those so I'll probably have even more than that) so I don't think I'll have to dip into my savings anymore and may even be able to start rebuilding it already. Yay responsible spending.

I just had it this past weekend.

My credit card balance was like $200 less this month than it usually is and the payment isn't due until after my first pay day AND I have enough in checking right now to cover my next round of bills and still have like $350 leftover (have to estimate how much my electric and gas bill will be but I estimated high on those so I'll probably have even more than that) so I don't think I'll have to dip into my savings anymore and may even be able to start rebuilding it already. Yay responsible spending.

i have a $5 coupon for a mexican place by me. that counts for money