UnevenEdge

The Youngstown News Thread

Poofy

Let me be very clear. I've been resisting all urges to make this thread for some time now. After they found multiple live grenades laying by the side of the highway. That almost did it for me, but still I resisted.

It's not just our long standing historical tradition of carnage.

Or that we are on and off again the literal Arson Capital of the USA

Or that there's no signs of it stopping with things like this being quite normal.

With our ever dwindling population, we're a small town, but when adjusted for this, our murder rate is on par with Chicago, Compton, and Detroit. It's not unusual for Youngstown to have years where it has the highest murder rate out of these cities.

It's not just any of that. It's the particular flavor of the crime that, at times, leaves me in awe. It's almost Floridian in its madness, but different somehow. If Florida Man lost his mind to the tropical heat, sun, and humidity. Youngstown Man lost his in the unrelenting cold, dark, fog of war that envelops the city. I want to share it with the world. I want you to know this wasteland like I know it.

So don't worry, dear reader, this thread won't be a simple list of shootings. I won't bore you with that. It will only be stories that showcase the very particular flavor of crime unique to this lost world.

• Thanks 2

fireball.png

There were bars bolted to the window frame, so the burglar would have been unable to get inside, according to a police report.

Police said there was a rack next to the broken window, however, and items were missing from that rack. Reported stolen were five bottles of Fireball Whisky, 88 packs of Black and Mild cigars, 12 packs of Zig Zag rolling papers and seven boxes of Swisher Sweets cigars.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/burglar-steals-fireball-cigars-during-store-break-in/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Youngstown's one of the drug capitals of the country, right?

I'm not sure. There's def a drug problem, but Idk if the drugs here are as record breaking as our arson and homicide rates. I'll look into it. I might try looking up overdose rates.

gavels.png

Reports say cameras show Smith entered the courthouse around 8:15 a.m., signed in and proceeded to the second floor. Then, Smith entered the courtroom and the judge’s chambers. He later exits the courthouse through the front door, according to the cameras.

According to a report, Niles officers found Smith smashing windows near a business. When officers arrested Smith, they found the items belonging to Judge Rice.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/man-suspected-of-stealing-gavels-from-local-judge-report/

Unknown if the gavels were used to smash the windows, but I choose to believe they were.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Also, it's to be noted that car chases are included in the routine crimes category that will go unreported in this thread. Unless they're particularly singular. Worth noting because we've had four of them since my last update. Along with like half a dozens shootings with victims, 2 drive bys on homes with no injuries, a few arsons (one 16 year old girl killed), the usual robberies, and a couple 12 year olds dropping rocks on cars from an overpass.

Edited by Poofy

UPDATE:

sheetz2.png

According to a police report, officers were called around 2:30 a.m. Sunday to the Sheetz on E. Market Street on reports of a large crowd inside the store.

The caller said there were 30-35 people inside the store smoking and drinking.

When officers arrived, they asked everyone to leave, but the customers refused multiple times, according to the police report.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/report-one-arrested-after-30-crowd-smoking-drinking-inside-sheetz/

Partying at Sheetz on a Sunday night. It really was a siege just like I suspected.

• Haha 1