UnevenEdge

Lost media archivists uncover DIC attempt to make a Western animated Saint Seiya in the early 90s

Jman

Yes, odds are this would be followed by that awful Double Dragon cartoon.

The early 90s were a weird time for animation.  Until about 97, the general feeling at most animation studios was that Western designs were superior and Americans wouldn’t accept Japanese designs.  Hence all the redrawn video game covers.

They saw blood in the water after re-editing Super Sentai shows struck gold with the Power Rangers.

But their big flaw was thinking that anime could be easily repurposed the same way when their push to incorporate live action forced them to have to make their own animation on the cheap. 

I’ve been saving all the newer discoveries for a special day because I’ve been waiting to see if anything would come of this for a while. Ever since I discovered Sailor Mercury had a magical wheelchair because her human self has a wheelchair, I had to see what they had in mind for the American adaptation. 

Edited by Chapinator_X

Someone isolated the opening (but you should watch the documentary, she’s the same sleuth that finally discovered the Toon Makers Sailor Moon pilot, and she’s quite good at what she does).

You know why this wouldn’t have worked, because all the obvious reasons from the animation?  

Because Spanish language TV was already airing Saint Seiya, with blood and cursing.  If you thought the kids watching uncut DBZ on Telemundo were smug, imagine the Spanish speaking kids dunking on the gringos who thought Guardians of the Cosmos was something fun to watch after Captain N reruns.

• 4 months later...