UnevenEdge

Snake Taxonomy Question.

PhilosipherStoned

Ok I give up WTF is the full taxonomy of this snake? This came from a Texas wildlife group that stated the pic was from Lake Summerville Birch Creek Park in Texas. Based on that and my knowledge of garter snakes my educated guess is thamnophis proximus orarius (Gulf Coast Ribbon Snake). A subspecies of Thamnophis proximus (Western Ribbon Snake)...Which according to wikipedia IS a species of garter snake..Hence the (Thamnophis).🙏 There's a lot of snake maniacs out there that say ribbon snakes arent garter snakes, but again genus THAMNOPHIS! Technically and scientifically speaking they are still garter snakes if they are in the genus Thamnophis right?

IDK Ribbon snakes are more slender and prey on more aquatic wildlife than anything the slenderness being where the name ribbon snake comes from. All ribbon snakes have that little mark in front of their eye as well where as non ribbon snake members of the thamnophis genus don't have that or the little dot in their head..Usually. Anyway that's my final answer. Garter Snakes/ribbon snakes whatever...There's too many of the fucks that was more of a rabbit hole than I expected. All for this lil guy. 🙃

284286102_373378001484960_35318082692656

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

1 minute ago, Seight said:

So is this a danger noodle or just the regular kind?

Garter snakes are typically your most basic non-danger noodle so there you go. That was the actual question proposed in the post from the state park with extra points for the name.. It is a ribbon snake I'm sure...From there...Not so sure. 

• Thanks 1