UnevenEdge

so where is chainsaw man's anime gonna end up?

CountFrylock

I feel like Netflix would have announced it by now.  Honestly that would be a good way to fuck with the people pissed off Bone was canceled, announce it was replaced with Chainsaw Man.

Without that announcement I believe it Crunchyroll bound.

Netflix has zero cash right now, so the days of them throwing around "F U" money and buying everything are over.

Croll is likely, but not a given as Viz could put in a bid if they have cash on hand or Sony decides to cut the budget at Croll or focus on originals.

2 hours ago, Ginguy said:

Netflix has zero cash right now, so the days of them throwing around "F U" money and buying everything are over.

Croll is likely, but not a given as Viz could put in a bid if they have cash on hand or Sony decides to cut the budget at Croll or focus on originals.

I honestly see the opposite from Crunchyroll.  The originals are crap, mothball the line since they don’t need to compete heavily for the animus anymore and focus on importing.

Croll's originals were crap because the budget was crap. It could be that Sony wants to expand anime in terms of its original IPs, that seems to be a trend among streaming services. It could be they just want to play the import game and try to corner the market. With Netflix going broke now would be the time to try and do that. Expanding original IP is tricky though, if you have trash you will eventually go broke much the way Netflix did.

1 hour ago, Ginguy said:

Croll's originals were crap because the budget was crap. It could be that Sony wants to expand anime in terms of its original IPs, that seems to be a trend among streaming services. It could be they just want to play the import game and try to corner the market. With Netflix going broke now would be the time to try and do that. Expanding original IP is tricky though, if you have trash you will eventually go broke much the way Netflix did.

So why waste the money when Japan is lining up to give you the goods, with less competition?  The only way I see CR originals being a big priority is if HBO Max directly goes after some.