UnevenEdge

TIL

nameraka

1 hour ago, bnmjy said:

As if you don't wax poetically about Jane Austen's sex life to your students.

Honestly, these days I mostly teach technical writing to active duty military types. Ive yet to figure out a way to work Jane Austen's sex life into a lecture on how to format APA style memo reports...

But I'm working on it.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bnmjy said:

As if you don't wax poetically about Jane Austen's sex life to your students.

I don't think anyone can wax poetically about Jane Austen's sex life more than Jane Austen, so what would even be the point?

Now, waxing poetic about the Sir Gawain's sex life with Sir Bertilak.... that's an impressive feat.

3 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I don't think anyone can wax poetically about Jane Austen's sex life more than Jane Austen, so what would even be the point?

Now, waxing poetic about the Sir Gawain's sex life with Sir Bertilak.... that's an impressive feat.

Eh, I was more referring to English professors' tendencies to be obsessed with nineteenth century literature.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

Eh, I was more referring to English professors' tendencies to be obsessed with nineteenth century literature.

Oh, I know.  I think that's partly why Sir Gawain and The Green Knight gets the attention it does, despite being late medieval.  There's a sense of homoeroticism in the work that really seems to mesh with similar themes that often pop up in English Romantic works.