UnevenEdge

Manga Rec's similar to Oyasumi PunPun?

bipolar bear cub

2 minutes ago, Chapinator_X said:

My rule of thumb would be to look up manga influenced by Dazai’s No Longer Human.

Zetsubou-sensei is kinda close but that’s more of an observational gag comedy with dark surreal elements. 

i do love some gag comedy though, especially with dark surreal elements 

There's not a lot like Punpun....

Maybe Not Simple or Onani Master Kurosawa? I remember them both being very good. However, I read them in or shortly sfter high school (at least a decade ago), so I can't really speak to the similarities in much detail nor quality.

They are both pretty highly regarded by all 10 people who've read them, though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, naraku360 said:

There's not a lot like Punpun....

Maybe Not Simple or Onani Master Kurosawa? I remember them both being very good. However, I read them in or shortly sfter high school (at least a decade ago), so I can't really speak to the similarities in much detail nor quality.

They are both pretty highly regarded by all 10 people who've read them, though.

I was gonna say Onani Master Kurosawa, but I was racking my head because it shares the anxiety of isolation from Punpun but I don’t remember it being as surreal. It looks like it follows the OP’s criteria though for something that’s dark, psychological, and reality-based so it could be a good shot. 

• Like 1

The manga for Aku no Hana is a dark philosophical school life kinda story. But at the same time, Nakamura can be immature at times.

I’d recommend Happiness from the same author, but that’s a lot more heavily rooted in supernatural horror if that’s ok.

Edited by Chapinator_X
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pandas_Love said:

I'll put them on my list uwu

and this

and i'll look into the Nakamura manga(s)

Shūzō Oshimi is the author, Nakamura is the girl that ends up roping the main guy into rebellion in Aku no Hana

Edited by Chapinator_X

5 hours ago, Chapinator_X said:

I was gonna say Onani Master Kurosawa, but I was racking my head because it shares the anxiety of isolation from Punpun but I don’t remember it being as surreal. It looks like it follows the OP’s criteria though for something that’s dark, psychological, and reality-based so it could be a good shot. 

It's definitely not surrealist at all.

The premise may be unusual enough, especially being a non-hentai doujin.

• Like 1