UnevenEdge

Cable math lol.

PhilosipherStoned

I think the guy training me  probably only remembers about half of this shit honestly, but what scares me is his memory is still better than mine.. We have a meter we can hook up or splice in if we have to calculate this shit for us anyway.. (Signal loss, and transmit) but there's still a lot of starting values and values used for the computation I need to remember here. I fucking hate relying on memory, but I did freakin' video this online trainer guy computing the values to a whole bunch of house set ups so I think I'm good. :ph34r:

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

Well fuck I clocked out with .35 overtime and it's only wednessday.. I blame you guys. but honestly I was just clicking through 'must click through online training while bullshitting so I don't feel bad. I also had to retrieve an assigned user/pass from my prof/work email that's still inundated with veteran and other work related shit not to mention I had to drive 50+ miles home to even get started on this signal calc portion.. I'll be prepared for Monday though. Main boss says the supervisors are supposed to call me periodically for pop quizzess so yeah that too.. 

I clocked out when they told me to more or less.. Well it should've been six, but I'm sure it'll get fixed if anyone's tripping. :|

Now time to switch gears and get ready to work automotive YAY! 😄

😷

14 hours ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

I think the guy training me  probably only remembers about half of this shit honestly, but what scares me is his memory is still better than mine.. We have a meter we can hook up or splice in if we have to calculate this shit for us anyway.. (Signal loss, and transmit) but there's still a lot of starting values and values used for the computation I need to remember here. I fucking hate relying on memory, but I did freakin' video this online trainer guy computing the values to a whole bunch of house set ups so I think I'm good. :ph34r:

I have forty feet of 32 ohm tv cable tied to an antenna.  What's the line loss over that distance?

Serious question, actually.  I'm pondering the purchase of lower resistance cable.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sofa King Kule said:

I have forty feet of 32 ohm tv cable tied to an antenna.  What's the line loss over that distance?

Serious question, actually.  I'm pondering the purchase of lower resistance cable.

What kind of cable is it RG6 is the standard now, but knowing you... IDEK....

5 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

I don't know.  I just read the ohm rating and saw that it was less than the 75 ohm sold at retail electronic stores.

If you have a better insight, that would be super.

• Confused 1

Pssh honestly I'm new to the cable field in terms of installing and I don't even like cable.. The head company I work for does fiber and my trainer even knows how to do it and prefers working on houses that have fiber lines already.. The coax shit really seems last gen to me, but I mean I guess it's not.. 

The company I work for uses cable modems to do everything else as well (internet and phone) and is still the leading provider in terms of speed arounds here I'm sure even using just RG6 to get it done that being said.. but I always keep an open mind. 

20 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

I just went and looked at the wire again.

Shouldn't the specs be printed on it?  It was on the old 75 ohm.  Nothing here.

It's also much thinner than the old wire, about half the diameter.

Edited by Sofa King Kule

RG59 is thinner than RG6... It's not used much  anymore. RG6 is the standard coax cable most if not all companies use today...but like I said it wouldn't surprise me if you had RG59 ran through everything... It does experience more loss per footage than rg6... It;s honeslty only good for low bandwidth applications you should get RG6 ran through your shit for internet at least.. 

14 hours ago, Sieg67 said:

Can't you just make a cheat sheet to use if needed?
Back in my day, we would write stuff on paper.

I should;ve done that, but I was abit overwhelmed with running cable into old rich people's houses that didn't honestly know jack about shit.. I'll get this though..Really the weirdest part of being a 'cable guy' is people are like.. "The cable guy is here! I don't know shit about shit why isn't this working." *unplugs modem or updates tivo settings half the time* Problem fixed! That shits kind of cringey to me...

My trainer had a trouble call where it was literally elderly people that had their tv zoomed in on aspect ratio or something, and they were complaining about not being able to see the writing on the sides of the screen on a bunch of channels... 🙃

One of those fuckers probably just sat on the remote and changed the settings, and couldn't fix it... Then...'Trouble call' 🙄

11 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

RG59 is thinner than RG6... It's not used much  anymore. RG6 is the standard coax cable most if not all companies use today...but like I said it wouldn't surprise me if you had RG59 ran through everything... It does experience more loss per footage than rg6... It;s honeslty only good for low bandwidth applications you should get RG6 ran through your shit for internet at least.. 

The internet here is on a wireless base transceiver.  It doesn't use any cable.  The cable is connected to a digital broadcast ready antenna.  I'm getting about twenty stations out of Philadelphia and Delaware.

2 minutes ago, Sofa King Kule said:

The internet here is on a wireless base transceiver.  It doesn't use any cable.  The cable is connected to a digital broadcast ready antenna.  I'm getting about twenty stations out of Philadelphia and Delaware.

Eww.. Yeah that sounds like RG 59, but damn your using a roof top antenna. Good luck with that lol IDK. I mean shit like that really isn't even worth the effort these days imo. 

15 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Eww.. Yeah that sounds like RG 59, but damn your using a roof top antenna. Good luck with that lol IDK. I mean shit like that really isn't even worth the effort these days imo. 

I did just get sick of Comcast about fifteen years ago.

Every three months, they would either raise the rate or move two of my most watched channels to a more expensive tier.  

It used to be thirty dollars per month for over 100 channels on basic.  By the time I finally quit and sent back their equipment, it was over $160 just for the minimum, basic seventy channels, all shit.

This new digital broadcast is phenomenal.  Clarity that rivals cable.  I know it's only twenty channels, but at least I don't have to pay anything to watch a marathon of Bait Cars or a classic Dragnet episode.  Then, there's Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.  

Edited by Sofa King Kule
When I'm spelling everything this poorly, it means I need some sleep.

Yeah cable will be phased out altogether soon by the looks of things.. In my adult life I've never even paid for 'cable' tv. I did satellite for a bit..but if you know what you're doing WHY? I don't think there's anything more I can add to that. Even my trainer says the same shit to customers...and I thought I was being kind of...harsh on the shit with the last contracting company I worked for.. At least this company seems on the same page with the parent plus some..