UnevenEdge

Rest in Peace, Chick Corea

Bouvre

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/11/arts/music/chick-corea-dead.html

Chick Corea, an architect of the jazz-rock fusion boom of the 1970s who spent more than a half century as one of the foremost pianists in jazz, died on Tuesday at his home in Tampa, Fla. He was 79.

The cause was cancer, said Dan Muse, a spokesman for Mr. Corea’s family.

Mr. Corea’s best-known band was Return to Forever, a collective with a rotating membership that nudged the genre of fusion into greater contact with Brazilian, Spanish and other global influences. It also provided Mr. Corea with a palette on which to experiment with a growing arsenal of new technologies.

But throughout his career he never abandoned his first love, the acoustic piano, on which his punctilious touch and crisp sense of harmony made his playing immediately distinctive.

May he return to forever.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i was thinking about making this thread but didnt think there were any fans here of the man.

big loss to the music world.

return to forever chick!

rip.

I'm fortunate to have best friends who intensively played and studied music so I got a huge repertoire thanks to them. Didn't get into Chick until years later but I'm glad I did. Such a magnificent sound.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bouvre said:

I'm fortunate to have best friends who intensively played and studied music so I got a huge repertoire thanks to them. Didn't get into Chick until years later but I'm glad I did. Such a magnificent sound.

very nice! he really was great all around with music. making music and playing it the man was a genius at it. he played with so many other awesome musicians too. hard for me to pick a favorite song from him cause hes got so many. but i think i like his return to forever material best. 

• Like 1