UnevenEdge

do you think toonami will have a new years marathon?

CountFrylock

will there be a marathon on january 2nd 2021?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. will toonami air a new years marathon for the first toonami of 2021?

7 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

the wonder woman announcement means there can't be a new years marathon....unless toonami just feels like pissing fans off with a three week hiatus for no apparent reason

I mean you have a  point. Running a marathon on January 2nd, when the holiday is over, wouldn't be logical.

25 minutes ago, elfie said:

I mean you have a  point. Running a marathon on January 2nd, when the holiday is over, wouldn't be logical.

it also wouldn't be logical to have a marathon after having a dc animated movie double feature on december 19th followed by a bebop marathon on the 26th

that's just too many interruptions to the regular line-up....imagine a fan of SAO Or Fire Force having to wait three weeks to see the continuation of a cliff hanger from December 12th

it would suck....and I'm starting to wonder if this is what prompted toonami to do away with weekly promo's in favor of generic sustaining promo's

maybe team demarco had a feeling another hbo max event was gonna be forced upon them

And this is another thing that grinds my gears. Sucking HBO MAX is turning out to be a permanent thing Toonami has done, is doing, and will do for the foreseeable future, despite the irony of it all. When they ran Batman movies, I thought it was a one-time thing, but this announcment shows me it's gonna stick around.

Yes. PLEASE tell me how great it is to abandon the one cable block that has basically kept me from ditching my sling.tv service. DOOooo tell!

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, elfie said:

And this is another thing that grinds my gears. Sucking HBO MAX is turning out to be a permanent thing Toonami has done, is doing, and will do for the foreseeable future, despite the irony of it all. When they ran Batman movies, I thought it was a one-time thing, but this announcment shows me it's gonna stick around.

Yes. PLEASE tell me how great it is to abandon the one cable block that has basically kept me from ditching my sling.tv service. DOOooo tell!

and what really grinds my gear are the people who try to spin this as a positive thing for the block

because "Oh Well More DC Animated Movies for the block is something i can fully support" despite the fact this is only happening because AT&T Demanded it

we had a planned schedule with gemusetto death beats concluding on the 19th only for AT&T to tell toonami that the block must be focused on promoting wonder woman 1984's release on HBO Max and in theaters!

• D'oh 1

20 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

and what really grinds my gear are the people who try to spin this as a positive thing for the block

because "Oh Well More DC Animated Movies for the block is something i can fully support" despite the fact this is only happening because AT&T Demanded it

we had a planned schedule with gemusetto death beats concluding on the 19th only for AT&T to tell toonami that the block must be focused on promoting wonder woman 1984's release on HBO Max and in theaters!

960000050_grindsmygears.thumb.png.e7bbd8dd490bd472ce8f2886e3e7bed8.png

CN and Toonami are both playing Wonder Woman films to hype WW84 in theaters and on HBO Max on Christmas Day. It's the first of Warner's big budget films to premiere on HBO Max the same day as theaters. While it's possible there could be other HBO Max pushes for other stuff down the line, I expect them to be pretty rare. Hyping up WW84's same day release is a wise decision because if they cannot get people to sign up for Max for that highly anticipated film then they're not gonna have much luck convincing people for most of 2021. They gotta try everything they can to make that roll out a success. So frankly having Toonami air a few movies and having CN air the live-action Wonder Woman movie that same night is kind of the bare minimum of what they ought to be doing to hype WW84 for HBO Max.

Like I don't think we'll see Toonami run an usual schedule to shill for the HBO Max same day release of Godzilla vs. Kong in May. But if HBO Max wants to sponsor the inevitable Memorial Day or 4th of July marathons, I'm all for it.

• Like 1

this is just my opinion but all the non stop hbo max schilling on tv has not made me want to subscribe nor has it made me think "HOLY CRAP! that is a great service!"  instead i just feel annoyed

i don't really see anything on there that makes the service truly king of them all

it's not the netflix killer or the disney plus slayer

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 4:50 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

If there is, I want it to be Attack On Titan Season 3, Part 2!

I'd prefer an AssClass marathon myself, although AoT would have a neat practical purpose.

As for the other major topic of this thread, I don't think they'll randomly preempt the normal schedule to do an HBO Max-related thing at least outside of special times. The Batman movie nights only happened because Toonami felt it would be a cool diversion from the monotony of the normal schedule, as there wasn't going to be a usual Labor Day marathon. It worked for me, although I still have DVR copies of the two parts of The Dark Knight Returns that I need to watch. And as for this special schedule, it's merely turning a one-week break into two weeks, in a spot Toonami normally does marathons to start with. If they end up piling on a second marathon after New Year's, you totally have the right to complain (but I wouldn't mind it), but you should focus your anger on that rather than random attempts at corporate synergy.

• Like 1