UnevenEdge

Initial Last of Us 2 reviews are out

Guest Koala_Lump_R

3 hours ago, Chapinator-800 said:

Glad I never jumped onto the first game’s hype train. After Uncharted 2, I felt weary of the trash mobs and empty scenery that bogged down Naughty Dog’s games.

It was a good game that got far more praise than it probably warranted. I played it recently and it probably would've felt somewhat dated had I played it on release.

It's very linear and the story that gets raved about was basically a well-made paint-by-numbers zombie movie. By no means bad; simply nothing special.

There were a handful of wonky gameplay stuff too. I got so fucking mad during areas where it seemed enemies would respawn in completely different places when you died. It made coming up with a plan a chore, and wasn't helped by the deliberately poor lighting. I know, it's a horror game so limited vision is one of the most basic parts, but when I turn up my screens brightness and the games internal brightness and my screen is functionally pitch black with a flashlight on, maybe they took it a little far. It was really inconvenient to require a pitch black room to so much as play it and that often STILL wasn't enough.

I do like the game, regardless. It's more like a 7/10 than the "best game ever" I've heard so much. It was disappointing. Too many flaws to love it.

Edited by naraku360

3 hours ago, Chapinator-800 said:

Glad I never jumped onto the first game’s hype train. After Uncharted 2, I felt weary of the trash mobs and empty scenery that bogged down Naughty Dog’s games.

The first game was hyped an insane amount, but it was still good and pretty well made.

That said though the worst thing to happen to Naughty Dog was losing Amy Hennig, her being the one that wrote and directed Uncharted 1-3, as well as TLOU 1. Supposedly she did Uncharted 4 but Druckmann chased her off, rewriting the 4th game completely despite the fact it was just about finished, the game tanking so hard in reviews in reception, him also removing Fat Drake cause it was offensive.

the dude destroyed what could have made for a well made game franchise with TLOU 2. The leaks are spot on, it's so very bad. Sony's spending big bucks on paying off the big review sites, so I wouldn't trust any review from someone that was granted an reviewers copy of the game, trust in those that had to go out and buy their own copy. Also when it comes to reviews there's very specific sections of the game they're allowed to show or talk about, only a couple hours out of a 25 hour game, the entire second half they're not allowed to show or even talk about, which again confirms everything.

Says a lot when Troy Baker has to do damage control months before the game came out because of the leaks, him later saying he doesn't think anyone going into the game will like the choices they made, them specifically making those choices because they didn't want anyone to like them.

I wasn’t adverse to Abby existing because of the guts it takes to have a character that completely shits on the first game, but she was designed to be ugly so it just makes the sex scene look awkward when she’s wrapping her Lanky Kong arms around the Druckman clone.

It’s also bullshit how mocapped people stripping naked and going doggystyle is more acceptable to Sony than anime tiddies, but I digress.