UnevenEdge

The Division 2

Satou Kazuma

I gave up on the first one after Ubisoft with their head cut off took to long to fix the broken game. By the time they did, almost everyone had exploited the flaws in the game to gain powerful loot items, weaponry and armor. So, I'm taking a chance on this sequel after trying out the private beta this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

I liked the first game a lot. My problem with it was more about the players than the game.

I'd been looking forward to it for a long time and had really hoped that I could play with a team of my IRL friends, but none of them got the game. at least not for PS4.

Matching with strangers is okay, but a lot of them don't seem to understand that it's a cover based game and just Leroy Jenkins their way into danger, expecting me to wae out into enemy fire to get them out. Now, I'm all about team play, but maybe don't charge straight at an unknown group of enemies firing like a lunaic and then expect me to rush into a bulletstorm to save you.

my playstyle was all about moving from cover to cover, patiently watching the enemy group's movement patterns and then picing the best time to attack. in solo play, that works best. i can imagine relaxing that a bit for group play,but really only a bit.

played the private beta and had a lot of fun, so i'm definitely planning to pick up the full game when it drops. i want to get into the open beta this weekend, but i'm scheduled to work, so i probably own't have much chance, plus an entirely different game i'm playing has a rare special event this weekend, so my time is halved twice.

i'm going to ask IRL friends in advance  to grab the division 2 and play with me, but i can't say i'd be averse to teaming up with some friends from these boards here.

anyone sure they're going to pick it up?

• 2 weeks later...

i go guns blazing on small fries only to get killed in seconds when they overwhelmed me with laser precision tec-9s and mac-10s. on missions, solo or otherwise, i'll do cover and somehow end up dying because the npcs keep taking pot shots and charging to my position.

i was on the fence but damn, the pre-load install data of 100GB and the 50GB game data plus the 2GB 1.5 day one patch on PS4? it's like Red Dead Redemption 2 all over again, except heftier data. i'll hold off for now but will eventually come back to it if i feel like playing it.

• 4 weeks later...

i got it practically day one and started playing again. but the thing i learned from the first game is, while the game is pretty damn fun, it's only so fun to play solo. i was hoping some of my friends IRL would play, but that hasn't worked out. i'm still at level two because the idea of playing alone hasn't been terribly appealing, but i wonder if anyone else on these boards is getting into the game. 

????

I got it the second week after it was released and I'm pretty much almost done with the main campaign. While I appreciate the vast experience and openness of D.C., it felt like a chore of hitting up crates and random loot items. Co-op with randos is a nice experience but I mostly solo'd for the majority of it.

I made the most of it by playing on weekends and grinding out control points and random encounters before tackling missions. Brush up on Division 2 Reddit for tips, Google things about division 2. Heck, I still haven't found some of the hidden stuff they stash around the map.

In my opinion, just send out for help or toggle your group setting to open for randoms, if you want to explore with someone. Just be wary that they'll hop from one mission to another without actually examining certain objects. Depending on what system you have, PS4 here, I'll help out if needed on weekends, though I actually hit lvl. 30 two weekends ago and I'm currently putting around avoiding the last mission.