UnevenEdge

Current favorite full albums?

Bouvre

KEN mode - Loved

KEN mode are a great band that have niche appeal and don't get nearly the exposure they deserve.

Every Time I Die - Low Teens

The whole album doesn't maintain this level of musical intensity but the brutal honesty in the lyrics makes this a choice cut.

Mutoid Man - War Moans

Lots of crunchy, fuzzy stoner sludge riffs and, surprise, clean vocals.

Rival Consoles - Persona

And now for something completely different.

• Like 1

This is probably my favorite album of all time, and I listen to a lot of music. This one was a disappointment to a lot of fans up to that point, since Baroness were more of a Mastodon style band with unique flourishes of bluegrass and prog rock, but this album was a huge turn and alienated a lot of fans. In one way, it was a huge leap forward and showed a drastic maturation in their sound, but it's also a long album with a lot of softer, folky, introspective work. For fans, either it clicked or it didn't. I went from being marginally interested to a diehard Baroness fan with this album.

Baroness - Yellow & Green

The most recent album from electronic music darlings Boards of Canada, this album is more spacious and ambient than their previous material. It's a cold, lonely view of apocalypse in real time, and, though the soundscapes are grim, there is stark beauty to be found in this album as well. Few albums have left an impression on me like this one.

Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.

A progressive rock concept album by English multi-instrumentalist Steven Wilson that is partially based on the true story of Joyce Carol Vincent, a London woman who disappeared one day and was found dead in her apartment nearly three years later, with no one having noticed until then. Touching on themes of loneliness, isolation and heartbreak, this album encompasses a little bit of everything he'd done in his career to this point - jazzy, extended compositions, tighter, more aggressive metallic songs, poppy anthems, ambient soundscapes and more. Probably one of the better albums he's released in his long multifaceted career.

Edited by empty

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've been jamming to LCD Soundsystem nonstop this past week, especially Sound of Silver and This Is Happening.

I think I like Sound of Silver just a little bit more, it's more consistent in tone and mood and Get Innocuous! really pulls me in and makes me have to sit and listen to the rest.

James Murphy's blend of poignancy and irreverence are also nice, and there are some real bangers on both albums. I don't dance very well but I can't help but move around when drums kick in on North American Scum, and he wears his Talking Heads fanhood on his sleeve.

Party on, Wayne.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

The Eye of Every Storm, by Neurosis. Pretentious mini-review incoming.

Shows another side of Neurosis. Their music has always been brutal and punishing, but also captivating in its exploration of our best and worst traits as humans. However, on this album, we see them take a more staid approach, working in long ambient passages and less aggressive arrangements that allow for reflection and thought. This is a recording by a band that was growing older and wiser, and shows an evolution of sounds and ideas they explored in their previous two albums, 1999's Times of Grace (a fantastic album in its own right) and 2001's A Sun That Never Sets, where ambience and breathing space would allow for a different kind of meditation than the dark and angry music in their earlier catalogue. While still overwhelming and forceful at times, The Eye of Every Storm gives us numerous reprieves from the sonic onslaught that Neurosis have been famous for. The production, handled by Steve Albini, is also top notch, and plays to Neurosis' strengths, allowing their sound in the softer passages to ring out with richness and warmth, and alternately hitting us with crunchy distortion when the time is right. This album used to be a little too heady for me. I loved the harder parts, but I found it a bit too relaxed and placid at times; I was younger and wanted the instant gratification. However, on repeated listening, this album unfolds and becomes something beautiful.

Edited by empty