UnevenEdge

ASMB SwimCon 2011 - Jon Schnepp Q&A

Back in 2011, in an almost early 10 year anniversary sort of thing, the [as]mb became an online fan convention – Swim.Con. Show folders were temporarily replaced with Guest Panels and specialty folders all in an attempt to bring those sweet Con feels without that horrible Con price. Or smell. Seriously, take a shower at least once during the weekend, people.

Anyway, Guest Panels would be nothing without actual guests. The type of guests you would find yourself wanting to stand in line to see. SwimMod_Luuv dug into his rolodex and managed to get ahold of a massive amount of [as] show talents to sign in and show up on the boards for those few days to answer your burning fan questions. No lines, no fighting, just post away and read the personal reply later. Of the many people that were contacted and actually showed up long enough to deal with the rabid board denizens, Jon Schnepp was one of those. He didn’t have a lot of time to post during the whole of the weekend experiment but he was able to set aside enough time to reply to almost everyone that posted a question. The following is a re-worked transcription of that interview thread, re-done in an easier to read Q&A format for this board. Comments and those questions that he was unable to get back to and answer are still included at the end of this transcription. Otherwise, nothing important has been changed, not even the misspellings [we’re all looking at you, scrapyard :D ] . If someone’s screenname has somehow undergone an unwanted capitalization, that’s totally on me and whatever autopilot gremlin is hiding in this program. The ‘ * ‘ are a means of breaking the interview into it’s various segments, once again merely for ease of reading.

For those who want to read the original thread for the nostalgia, I’ve included the individual links [all internets to mahala_la_la for getting this info for us.

Page 1 - https://web.archive.org/web/20150924154257/http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/Metalocalypse/Jon-Schnepp-Q-amp-A/td-p/61465406

Page 2 –

https://web.archive.org/web/20150924160010/http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/Metalocalypse/Jon-Schnepp-Q-amp-A/td-p/61465406/page/2

Page 3 –

https://web.archive.org/web/20150924150459/http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/Metalocalypse/Jon-Schnepp-Q-amp-A/td-p/61465406/page/3

Jon Schnepp

May 16, 1967 – July 19, 2018

SwimMod_Luuv/@Admin:

Jon Schnepp Q&A

[ Edited ]

‎08-25-2011 12:53 PM - edited ‎08-29-2011 02:08 PM

Post your questions and comments for Jon Schnepp here!

Jon Schnepp is a producer, director, editor, writer, and actor best known to Adult Swim fans for his editorial work on Space Ghost Coast To Coast, played the Wisdom Cube and Gary the Dairy Fairy on Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and directs most of the episodes of Metalocalypse, and has directed many episodes of the Venture Brothers, and worked on animation for Aqua Unit Patrol Squad 1 and Space Ghost.

He has also directed eps of Upright Citizens Brigade among many other things.

from Wikipedia:

Jon Schnepp is an American producer, director, actor, editor, writer and cinematographer. His company, Schneppzone, has worked on many shorts and television shows.

Schnepp was Animation Director for Nickelodeons What's Inside Heidi's Head?, and edited many episodes of "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast" seen on Cartoon Network.

He co-directed the pilot for "Upright Citizens Brigade" for Comedy Central, and directed segments and the Title Sequence for the series run.

Jon Schnepp released The Removers (2003) and "Brainwarp", two pilots he produced and directed, on DVD by Filmthreat.

He then went to Brazil, working with Debbie Allen, editing and creating the title sequences for two sitcoms airing in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.

Schnepp co-created, co-wrote, and directed Nerd Hunter 3004 for the Channel 101 pilot.

Schnepp also guest stars on three episodes of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force. In two episodes he voices the Wisdom Cube and in the other he plays The Creature from Plaque Lagoon.

His most current work is on Metalocalypse, a cartoon on Cartoon Network about Dethklok, the world's most popular death metal band. He designed and created the look of the five band members, directs the bulk of each season, and works with the show's co-creators/writers Brendon Small and Tommy Blacha.

Schnepp directed the 2009 Dethklok Tour with Mastodon, providing a heavy metal movie of the fully animated music videos played to every song of this sold-out tour.

Jon has co-produced and directed on the three seasons of "Metalocalypse", and is currently working on the fourth season.

Schnepp co=directed Season 4.1 of The Venture Bros..

Schnepp has done variant cover arts and helped write all four Dethklok Comic books.

Schnepp was featured in The Damned Things music video for "We've Got A Situation Here".

In 2011 Schnepp directed music videos for the bands I Set My Friends On Fire and Forbidden

holkimcardie1/@HolkieGear:

Hi, Jon!  I'm one of the two HELPeRs for Metalocalypse!  But I do have a couple of questions for you.

First, we have heard from Brendon that the show is going back to the 15-minute episodes of the first & second seasons.

Second, Adult Swim had a premiere schedule bump a couple of weeks back that said the 4th season premiere for Metalocalypse would be April 15, 2012.  Long time to wait, but it also means you guys get to do it right.

But there was also a note that there would be 12 episodes.

This is much less than the season length for seasons 1 & 2, the original 15-minutes episodes.  Is this just 12 episodes then and then 8 more later? 

Or could it be 12 episodes...... and then a ...dare I say it, a movie later?  Because 8 15-minute would make a good movie length.

Jon Schnepp :

There are currently 12 Episodes in production right now, what happens next is in the future...

holkimcardie1/@HolkieGear:

Now, my second question.  Actually, this is more settling something with a friend & fellow Metalocalypse fan.

She swears that Brian May has played on the show.  Matter of fact, the intro to "Go Into The Water".

As a fan of Metalocalypse, I know that while there have been a great number of musicians voicing characters on the show, the only one who actually played her instrument on the show was Emilie Autumn for "Dethharmonic".  She played the violins.

Brendon played all the guitars first season and used a drum machine until Gene Hoglan was hired for the first CD.  As of the second season, Gene played the drums.  The main theme was ever re-done with him playing.  (Re-done completely or just the drum parts I don't know, but I noticed it right away.)

I think that the reason it sounds like Brian May played on the show is that Brendon was very influenced by him and just can  play like him. 

Who's right?  No matter what the answer, I will get it to her.

Jon Schnepp:

It's all the maestro of metal known as Brendon Small. He has many influences, and he'll be the first to tell anyone that he is a Brian May and Queen fan. We first connected  on our mutual love of the 80's "Flash Gordon" movie, as well as the David Lynch "Dune".

SwimMod_Luuv/@Admin:

I have some questions:

Metalocalypse has a lot of fantastically horrific background elements that, while graphic, play almost subliminally as horror elements under the broader comedy.  Is the horror genre as inspiring to you as cartoons when approaching Metalocalypse?

Are you a horror fan, and do you have any horror related dream projects you'd like to do?

I think this stuff is on my mind because I just read that you'd signed to direct a segment for "ABCs of Horror", is that at all intimidating to step into that realm so fully alongside so many other genre luminaries? 

Jon Schnepp:

I am inspired by most genre media, horror being one of the main ones, alongside science fiction, thrillers, and surreal action comedies.

I have several dream projects, some of which I am currently developing.

I am truly honored to be a part of "The ABC's of Death". To be on a list with all these other film makers from around the globe is fantastic, and I'm going to do my best to meet that massive collected talent pool with my own twisted take.

Dark_Lord_Khrima :

Metalocalypse has had a lot of really cool musical guests in past seasons. What musicians that haven't appeared on the show would you like to have on at some point in the future? Also, what musical guests can we expect next season (if you're allowed to tell us)?
How did you go about deciding which clips to ultimately use in Space Ghost? It seems like the interviews would give a ton of material to work with and a lot of the humor came from how that material was edited together, so I'm just wondering what you looked for when deciding which clips should be cut and how stuff should be strung together.

Jon Schnepp:

I'm not able to tell you or confirm or deny anyone who is on the new season, but I will say they are all awesome!

Space Ghost was truly a great blend of the writers and the editor/director. The mixing up of the recorded interview and re-dialoging done in post, followed by camera placement, pauses, finding those tasty shots of the celebrities blinking, yawning, looking board, and lip smacking was some of my favorite moments. Also adding inane new bits of surrealism was my bag on the show. They should bring it back!

Dark_Lord_Khrima

They really should bring back Space Ghost! It seems like a lot of the people who worked on the show would still be up for it, and Space Ghost is a big part of why Adult Swim exists. What guests would you want to have on if Space Ghost did come back?

GodspreadThin :

I love the Wisdom Cube. Would you like to own a model of all the characters you've played? Because a Wisdom Cube one should be easy enough.

Jon Schnepp:

Please send me thousand and four (3004)  hand made, hand painted Wisdom Cubes , or just one, as well as the Creature from the Plaque Lagoon (the red bodied,  head filled with teeth dude, shopping at furniture store), to the following address:

Attn: Jon Schnepp

Titmouse Inc.

6616 Lexington Ave

Hollywood, CA. 90038

poisonbella :

Hi Jon thanks for joining us! I recognize your name from seeing it on Melalocalypse. I have a few questions about odd stories, maybe you can answer them....well, first of all i love all those shows!! i really enjoy them. Wow, that is great that you get to work for them. sometimes i think that adult swim airs certain shows as a sort of subtle or subliminal sign....do they? for instance, a week or so ago, we were talking about the symbolisms in the new britney spears video, (hidden symbols etc such as colors and a mind control theme, ruby slippers...etc)
hmm........well i noticed that on adult swim later that night, they aired two shows with the all seeing eye in it...(the one where they were operation on an eye and it was on the tv screen...after that, superjail with the all seeing eye..
what makes you decide to put such symbolisms in the show? is it subliminal? does it affect us in some way by watching?
im really curious and interested in this sort of stuff which is why i just have to ask!
do you have any crazy or funny stories to share too? adult swim related? thank you

Jon Schnepp:

It is all random, just like all connect the dot conspiracies.

Subliminal edits are done for our own amusement, and if someone sees a frame that we put in (114, the blues devil flash skullface), then thats cool.

We have put in many fun flashframes and quick cuts, its up to you the adience to figure them out, and then connect those dots.

Poisonbella:

oops sorry i didnt explain myself there, they also played family guy with the hannah banana episode, like hannah miley is some sort of android....i mean, is that true? not an android... :( MK'd??? im sorry for these questions, its just something i read about and i have to ask!
oh yes i love all the scenes in metalocalypse! its very well animated!

Jon Schnepp:

Banana Splits is a dark and dangerous show, filled with triple meanings and creepy subtext, highlighted by the fact that really sweaty adults are acting inside those bizarre costumes.

@viperxmns:

Hello Jon, I'm a huge fan of your work; I have a question about Space Ghost Coast to Coast:
An essential part of any show is editing, but I feel like SG in particular exhibits its own kind of magic in how it's edited, especially in Space Ghost's interactions with the guests, and how the guests' interviews are portrayed. Can you tell us a little about working on SGC2C? Was there anything you had to cut that you wished could have stayed in?

Jon Schnepp:

So many, here are a few:

I cut out a looping edit of Harland Williams that went on for over three minutes, it was reduced to about twenty seconds. 

I had additional body twitches and long stares and body jumps of Emo Phillips that we did not use, as well as great long takes of Mike Judge blankly staring at Space Ghost. I edited together Mike talking to himself as both Beavis and Butthead, that was fun and weird.

my all time favorite episode that i was the most involved with creatively was the 1999 episode called "King Dead". I made most of the homes and streets myself, as well as coming up with "The Circus of the Barking Dead" tv show, and that's my voice as the skeletal barking dog. (eventually the homes became the model for the aqua teen hunger force streets).

@viperxmns:

:D Awesome! I freaking love "King Dead" (and the SG shirt I picked up from the shop a long time back with the phrase on it). The skeletal dog always cracks me up.

NOTdubbed :

Dear Jon,
How many people do you hope to have killed in the show (Metalocalypse) before it ends, in total? I would say 5 mil is a good number to shoot for personally.
Have you ever done the wisdom cube character to annoy your friends and co-workers? If you haven't, I think you should because it would be hilarious.
Can we ever hope to see more Space Ghost Coast to Coast? ....ever?
Do YOU think that Dr. Girlfriend is just a transgendered dude? I mean, does it cross your mind at least once in a while?

Jon Schnepp:

So many people, so little time.

I have done the Wisdom Cube several times, and it really works! Hey! HEY! HEY! This one time....

SGC2C will come back someday.

Doc Hammer is one of the funniest guys I know, and he is an amazing artist as well. Weep is awesome!!! Dr.Girlfriend is a cartoon character.

@katt_goddess:

First, thanks for taking the time to float in and deal with all of us!
I have to start out by saying that Metalocalypse especially has brought waaaay too much in the way of entertainment to the store where I work. You will never believe how many times the stress and tension of dealing with the consumer hordes has been alievated by my attempting to play DethMetal on a toy ukelele whenever things got to be too much. The cashiers thank you for being part of that. :D
Of all the hats you seem to wear / have worn [director, design artist, writer, producer, etc.] , which gives you the most enjoyment?
And, a question I'm asking anyone I can remember to, if a drink were made / named for a character you've done, what would that drink be [and maybe a basic recipe if it's something completely novel]?
For the record, doesn't have to be alchoholic either.

Jon Schnepp:

I thank the cashiers back double!! I love that the show connects with people, and that we are all able to keep making it for them.

I really enjoy them all, because they allow me to flex different creative muscles with each job. Honestly, if I wasn't doing so many jobs, I'd get bored.

The Murderface: Start with a 8 ounce guinness, pour into a 16 ounce glass. Add a shot of Dewars, A shot of Baileys, and 6 ounces of peach cider.

The Knubbler: two lemon slices, shot of fanta, 3 shot of Belvedere, two sprinkles of salt.

The Jean Pierre: 2 shots maker mark, an orange slice, shot of cola, shot of kahlua, shot of Frangelico

ENJOY!!!!!

@katt_goddess:

I'll let 'em know on Monday! :D Although if I ever do figure out how to play "Happy DethDay" on the accordian, you might want to keep away for a bit. And I've added those recipes to the collective, thanks!

Jon Schnepp:

Awesome, GET DRUNKER!!

@katt_goddess:

That would be for someone else, I am allergic to alcohol which means all acts of weirdness are done completely and painfully sober. :D

A lot of the creative teams out there tend to get into some kind of hyjinx or prank wars at their work. Any stories to share from your neck of the creative universe?

Jon Schnepp:

Then you should drink lots of wheatgrass, almond milk, and goats blood.

A few years back, while I was in New York codirecting The Venture Bros season 4.1, the titmouse east crew hung hundreds of tree freshener paper cutouts with my face on them in my office. I laughed my ass off. I still have one hanging in my office to this day.

@katt_goddess:

"Then you should drink lots of wheatgrass [done that] , almond milk [done that too but prefer soy chia because it's not as watery] , and goats blood [if that can come in those fancy little transfusion bags like those blood energy drinks, totally game. :D I have never seen people scatter so fast as when I've whipped one of those out at work and taken a shot. :D Plus it would filter out the goat hair, those things shed in everything. ].

A few years back, while I was in New York codirecting The Venture Bros season 4.1, the titmouse east crew hung hundreds of tree freshener paper cutouts with my face on them in my office. I laughed my ass off. I still have one hanging in my office to this day."

:D That took a little time too. Sounds like a pretty friendly environment. J

Over the years, how would you say that directing has changed? And is there anything that may have changed that you wish you could just change back?

SwimofTruth :

My question for you Mr. Schnepp is... what inspires you to do what you do? In my view there is a CLEAR downgrade in content with programing and content with most networks, Cartoon Network is most notable so... how do you stay inspired to help contribute in the creation of quality material? I think Metalocalypse is just amazing.

Jon Schnepp:

I'm always pushing myself to make and create new content, and force myself to make sequences and images that I want to see, imagined on an epic scale for Metalocalypse. The scripts always call for amazing new scenarios, and Brendon always opens the door to coming up with really creative new ways to make mega-scenarios.

I'm a big fan of many different forms of art, be it music, movies, or the printed page. I go to lots of art shows, movies, special screenings, comedy improv, standup, and many of my friends are constantly having shows that I go to and I'm able to talk with them and exchange ideas, and have lots of laughs. Staying involved in the world around me keeps me buzzed and alive and always brewing with new ideas. I think visually for the most part, and many of my ideas are in my head stewing for a long time before I get to actually make them for other people to see.

Masta_ShakeZoidberg :

First off, i love your work, and im proud to say it,

first question, Is it hard going back in forth between show or projects? or do you like to stay commited to one at a time?

second question, While working on Metalocalypse do your ear drums bleed from the constant metal music?

thrid question, If this was the 90's, do you think any of your shows would work?

Forth question, Whats was your favorite show from the 90's ?

Thanks MSZ

Jon Schnepp:

Thanks,

1 I like working on many shows, or many multiple episodes at a time. It keeps me going.

2 Nope, love the metal, and my favorite part is getting those tasty new Small songs!

3 I'd be a dude drawing in the streets or in a starbucks, or the guy sweeping up at that  starbucks, telling the other me to get the fuck out, or in a sex commune in the hills of SF, drawing naked mutants riding space squirrels.

Or scratch that, dude I was already kicking shit in the 90's! Watch me and ozzy osbourne tear it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4eqC3DX_oE

4 Twin Peaks!

Lupinfan83:

First of all, let me say Metalocalypse is one of my favorite shows.  Will fans ever know what happend to the band member Toki took over for?  Also, who created Dr. Rockso, the rock n roll clown, that does cocaine? 

Jon Schnepp:

1 What? (mmmm hahahahah)

2 He was created in a group storyboard meetiing by Brendon, Tommy, me, Mark Brooks, and Sonngu Kwon. Originally, in episode 3, first season, both a clown making lame balloons and a magician doing dumb tricks were there to entertain Murderface. We all mentioned it was a bit of a double beat, so we talked about combing the two characters, everyone said different combos, someone said Rockso, someone said the rock n roll clown, and Tommy did his best David Lee Roth, screaming and I do cocaine!!! the jumpsuit and police hat were talked about, Mark did the new storyboards, and Songgu did the final designs.

westpark :

Hi Jon, any chance SGC2C to come back? Or is that a done project?

Jon Schnepp:

Space Ghost is a furry nubblin floating on a dumpy moldering cloud of forever, eating crawsticks and sucking the dust from the eyes of the gingered pample fruit.

pirateking42 :

Hello!

I was just wondering if you know of any new Dethmerch that will be released along side season 4?

Thank you for everything! <3

Jon Schnepp:

There really should be way more DethMerch! I do not make a cent on any of it, even though there are some of my own designs (murderface logo, etc), but I buy my own merch, and wear it proudly. They should get going on making some bad ass Dethklok Sculptures of them in concert, like the mcfarlane metallica set. Anyone who wants more stuff, please flood the boards of adultswim. Nothing will happen, but it will at least make you feel like you did your part.

pirateking42 :

Do you dress up for Halloween?

What was your favorite costume?

Jon Schnepp:

Yes, I dress up for Halloween!

My favorite outfit was as the Skullzard!

CDRhom :

Hi Jon. I just wanted to say "Thanks" for all the entertainment you and your crew over at Titmouse have given to us.

Jon Schnepp:

You are very welcome.

The Frost Piglets slowly wake, their slumber disrupted by the tiny struggling humans trapped underneath them.

@CartoonPlanet:

Hey Jon, I've been a HUGE fan of Space Ghost Coast to Coast ever since it was on Cartoon Network in the 90's. I've been in love with Cartoon Planet as well, which should be obvious because of my username
Were there any guests you really wanted to be on SGC2C that never worked out?
Who is your favorite character and what is your favorite episode?

Jon Schnepp:

Hi, PLANET!

Hmmmm. Was Mr.T ever on?

BRAK, and "King Dead".

scrapyard :

dear jon schwepps:

who would win in a fight - tommy blacha or carl

Jon Schnepp:

The Tommy would totally twist his body in a convex angle, perpendicular to the fat toad-like Carl, and land a triple reverse Mongrel Slam due to the completely and perfectly timed out move.

SwimMod_Luuv/@Admin:

What are some of your personal favorite cartoons (past and present)? 

Jon Schnepp :

I really loved the Fash Gordon and Thundarr cartoon from the 80s, 

I dig the Batman animated and Justice League series, Superjail and Venture Bros currently.

I love all Miyazaki!

I really loved "Paprika" and "Ghost in the Shell".

I'll write some more later tonight.

SwimMod_Luuv/@Admin:

That Filmation Flash Gordon cartoon!  I used to have action figures for that. 

And I like all them other things too.  And Paprika, people don't mention that enough.  I think actually we're at about the 1 year anniversary of Satoshi Kon's passing.  Which was a big loss, because there are so few of those strikingly individual/unique creative minds out there that break through.  Makes me want to go dig out the DVD, or watch Paranoia Agent or something.

nugatoki :

Will we ever get to see Adult Toki with scars on his back? 

Jon Schnepp :

ha!

The Lingering Comments and Questions Section

[posted near the end of the event and that Jon never got back to answer but preserved here with the rest of the thread]

SwimMod_Luuv/@Admin:

You should consider a remake of the "Danger Island" segment.  I'd love to see your take on the "native pie fight" scenes.

Imgoingtohell:

Jon I have a couple questions for you:

You must attend a lot of cons. What do you like most about them?

We're having a con of our own in the Massachusetts next year, from June 27 to July 1st, and it's going to all be about Metalocalypse and Venture Brothers! (It's gonna be called the Rusty Gear. Get it? *pokes with elbow*) But considering you're related to both fandoms and are made of win, I was wondering if it would be too forward to ask who I could contact to get you to make an appearance? Also, if you had any programming ideas, that would great.

And last but not least, who do you think would win in a fight, Brock or Nathan? xD

Missy

http://therustygear.org/

http://therustygear.livejournal.com/

duzitickle :

Hi Mr. S, thanks for joining us in this eCon.
You're awesome for mingling with us and answering our burning questions.
=^___^=

burning question #1. Do you have an actual DethPhone? >>
burning #2. Is it hard to remember what life was like before THE MOST BRUTAL CARTOON BAND IN HISTORY happened?
Burning 3. I picture your home having awesome and dramatic VB paintings. Am I picturing wrong?
burning, burning 5. Whose idea was BirthdayFace? It was the episode that made me fall in <3 with murderface.

LDK_SPARDA:

Dear Jon Schnepp,
Thank you so much for joining us tonight.
I do have a question. Will there be more Venture Bros. episodes soon and the same with Metalocalypse? Will there be more guest appearances of Jack Black, band members of Dragon Force, In Flames and more to come in the near future?

Sincerely from a fan of Metalocalypse and Venture Bros.,
LDK_SPARDA \ლ/

pirateking42:

Questions from w_the_polluter :

Hey Jon, I have a couple of questions about some Metalocalypse character designs.
First question:
I have been living with a bald person for some time now, which is why I think I noticed something odd about Molly, Pickles' mom, a little while ago. Upon closer inspection, I came to the conclusion that she's wearing a wig. I mean, Pickles' father and older brother both have full heads of hair, so Molly wearing a wig would explain some things about his follicular predicament. Like the bald. 

Second question, and this one's a three-parter:
There is a moment during Rehabklok that was uncensored on the DVDs, and it ended up spawning the fandom trope of Pickles being transgendered. Yes, I mean that moment. One, who the hell came up with the idea to clone the beard? And two, did they know it would cause the fan speculation that it did? (Because they **beast** well should have, the trolls.)

And finally... if it is what it looks like, then what the frig did he DO during Dethrelease?

Here's to hoping you don't get any questions creepier than this.

5740aab2-jon-schnepp.jpg

Panelbanner (3).JPG

Edited by Admin_Raptorpat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3