UnevenEdge

Watching This Live Performance Never Gets Old

After re-watching Slipknot perform "American Heretic (The Heretic Anthem)" on NBC's Late Night With Conan O'Brien, I'm kicking myself for not recording their performance in 2001. Watching Conan say, "God help us all" before they started performing was hilarious.

Although, I actually laughed much harder watching Slipknot perform. The audience was probably scared shitless.

Here's a much better quality of the song.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl

I've never been that big into music where I had an interest in watching live performances, but this past Friday after work I caught the second half of the 1992 Bob Dylan tribute concert and decided to leave it on.

I have the CD set, but the CD editted out the part where Sinéad O'Connor got bood off the stage before she could do her song, and that totally colored the rest of the performance for me.

I mentioned it to @SlappyKincaid and he correctly guessed that it was shortly after (in his colorful words) "wiped her ass with the pope."

So you do miss out sometimes by not watching original live performances.

Watching Slipknot's 2001 performance on Conan O'Brien was epic. This was years before social media sites were launched and before whiny, Emo bands, and wannabe self-righteous, "political activists" groups hijacked and ruined entertainment.

This was also years before awards shows, music networks, and late night shows started blacklisting anyone, who could entertain their audience by using real musical instruments.

33 minutes ago, Adminderaptorpat said:

I've never been that big into music where I had an interest in watching live performances, but this past Friday after work I caught the second half of the 1992 Bob Dylan tribute concert and decided to leave it on.

I have the CD set, but the CD editted out the part where Sinéad O'Connor got bood off the stage before she could do her song, and that totally colored the rest of the performance for me.

I mentioned it to @SlappyKincaid and he correctly guessed that it was shortly after (in his colorful words) "wiped her ass with the pope."

So you do miss out sometimes by not watching original live performances.

In regards to Sinead, I remember the controversy. That incident ruined not only her reputation, but also her career.

Personally, entertainment was a major part of my life, including music. During the '80s and '90s, music highly influenced fashion and other forms of entertainment. Music also served as a great catharsis for those of us, who were teenagers during the 1990's.

That's besides the fact, that I loved music so much that I wanted to be a DJ. By the time I was 20, I became a Radio Show Hostess/DJ.

Even though I listen to a wide variety of music genres and sub-genres, my show consisted of Dark Trance, EBM, Industrial Electro, and mostly Metal, which also included Industrial Metal.

Once I was granted the Safe Harbor timeslot by our radio station manager, I was able to play uncensored music. During normal hours, we either had to play pre-censored songs, or we censored them LIVE.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl

1 hour ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

Watching Slipknot's 2001 performance on Conan O'Brien was epic. This was years before social media sites were launched and before whiny, Emo bands, and wannabe self-righteous, "political activists" groups hijacked and ruined entertainment.

This was also years before awards shows, music networks, and late night shows started blacklisting anyone, who could entertain their audience by using real musical instruments.

Some of the best concerts I have ever been to have been classical orchestras. As far as bands, I've seen Guns n Roses, Soundgarden (RIP Chris Cornell), Beach Boys and Chicago Symphony Orchestra. None of them had any political edge to them, though Axl Rose was feuding with some reporter from a crappy rock magazine. They performed to entertain, and that was the reason why people attended.

I saw a news story today, evidently the CEO of Twitter had to apologize to a bunch of whiny morons because he ate at Chick Fil-A. Some vegans whined to Apple and Google because the salad emoji seemed to contain eggs and/or chicken, and those companies caved and changed it. I swear, there needs to be a giant shut up button on the internet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

Some of the best concerts I have ever been to have been classical orchestras. As far as bands, I've seen Guns n Roses, Soundgarden (RIP Chris Cornell), Beach Boys and Chicago Symphony Orchestra. None of them had any political edge to them, though Axl Rose was feuding with some reporter from a crappy rock magazine. They performed to entertain, and that was the reason why people attended.

Last week, I was just thinking about GNR. I've never been to any of their concerts but I remember the days when they were in heavy rotation on MTV, when I was growing up. Hell, my mom still has their debut album on vinyl more than 30 years later. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

Last week, I was just thinking about GNR. I've never been to any of their concerts but I remember the days when they were in heavy rotation on MTV, when I was growing up. Hell, my mom still has their debut album on vinyl more than 30 years later. 

I saw them in concert when it was the later line-up, after Izzy left. They did a great show. I think that too many performers these days forget that people them for their ability to entertain; with music, dance, acting etc.. We don't pay them for their opinion or for profanity laced tirades at award shows.

Stick to what you do best, ya know.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

I saw them in concert when it was the later line-up, after Izzy left. They did a great show. I think that too many performers these days forget that people them for their ability to entertain; with music, dance, acting etc.. We don't pay them for their opinion or for profanity laced tirades at award shows.

Stick to what you do best, ya know.

Exactly, more viewers have stopped watching the award shows because we don't want to sit through watching 3 hours of nominees, winners, and hosts ranting about their political views. We want to see our favorite entertainers win and show their gratitude, not their attitudes.

The main reason why I quit radio was because the music became too polarizing and oppressive with political division. Entertainment as a whole went to hell by 2004. It's gotten worse over the last 4 years.

Speaking of GNR, I managed to find that old SNL skit from the early '90s. The skit featured, Adam Sandler as Axl, Kiefer Sutherland as Slash, and Skid Row's Sebastian Bach. Since Skid Row was a musical guest, Sebastian was featured in the skit.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

Exactly, more viewers have stopped watching the award shows because we don't want to sit through watching 3 hours of nominees, winners, and hosts ranting about their political views. We want to see our favorite entertainers win and show their gratitude, not their attitudes.

The main reason why I quit radio was because the music became too polarizing and oppressive with political division. Entertainment as a whole went to hell by 2004. It's gotten worse over the last 4 years.

Speaking of GNR, I managed to find that old SNL skit from the early '90s. The skit featured, Adam Sandler as Axl, Kiefer Sutherland as Slash, and Skid Row's Sebastian Bach. Since Skid Row was a musical guest, Sebastian was featured in the skit.

Well, I think part of the decline is viewership is the decline in quality of entertainment being awarded. Most modern music is trash that is either mindlessly repetitious or vulgar beyond belief, frequently both. Why would anyone want to tune in and watch that be awarded and celebrated as though it is somehow poignant. Hollywood sucks, most of their major films are reboots or have strayed so far from the original films in terms of sequels in an effort to appease a fringe minority of screaming spoiled brats with bogus social media accounts run by scripts, rendering them into little more than sanctimonious drivel with a plethora of booms and pew pew.... I'm supposed to pay twenty bucks to see this?

Did you used to work in radio? I only really listen to talk radio, in much the same way I read Drudge, it is kind of a job requirement. I prefer to listen to live music, and our local symphony has a pretty good program where they play a free summer concert series at a local park. Since some of the members practice in our church, I usually get a heads up on what pieces are being played, so I try to make it to the arrangements I like.

It's scary how Kiefer really does look like Slash....

• Like 1

That SNL skit was from 1991 and Skid Row were the musical guests. More than 2 decades later, that skit is still hilarious. Adam Sandler and Kiefer Sutherland had Slash and Axl's physical appearances and mannerisms down to a tee. That's the most hilarious part of it all. Knowing Axl, he was probably pissed.

As far as working in radio goes, I was a local on-campus Radio Show Hostess and a DJ. At the time, our radio shows were not only heard locally, but also via Internet. That was the main reason why we had to censor our music on our shows.

Otherwise, we could've been fined because of FCC regulations. The FCC also fined radio stations for having dead air.

Before quitting my radio show in college, I considered working at other radio stations. Considering how much the music changed for the worse, I lost passion for it.

Entertainment in general was not the same as it used to be. Also, the radio stations in my town have a high turnover because they keep rebranding and changing DJ's.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl
  • Like 1

I'm sure Axl was pissed. Oh well, now he is in a band with a guy who wear a KFC bucket on his head. Pride....

I used to be in television, community access programming, and so I was FCC licensed to do that. It was pretty much don't say naughty words, don't broadcast anything obscene (Miller test et al), and donn't broadcast anything bigoted. Most of the time the shows involved an odd mix of Carson and Tim and Eric type comedy. I did enjoy working on a project though that was focused on local psychedelic music. It was an odd combination of new age and 60's stoner rock, and the people were endlessly fascinating to film. There wasn't much of a future in it though, so I went into sales. I'm glad I'm not doing that anymore, I much prefer my current job.

Sorry to hear about the radio gigs, but it happens, particularly in small to medium markets. Do you ever consider going back into radio, or maybe starting an internet radio station/podcast program? I think you might be surprised as to how large that market can be.

3 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

I used to be in television, community access programming, and so I was FCC licensed to do that. It was pretty much don't say naughty words, don't broadcast anything obscene (Miller test et al), and donn't broadcast anything bigoted. Most of the time the shows involved an odd mix of Carson and Tim and Eric type comedy. I did enjoy working on a project though that was focused on local psychedelic music.

Oh really? When I worked in radio, we had playlist sheets to write out. It was mostly for our station manager and supervisor to keep track of all the songs we played on our shows, in case the FCC had a problem with any of the songs we played on our shows. It always goes back to censorship.

Friends have asked me countless times, if I would ever consider doing another show. I have thought about it over the years, but it just wouldn't be the same. Years before podcasting became the trend, listeners could hear our shows both on and offline.

Even though most newer cars today, for example have access to Sirus XM, there are still those people who don't have access to the Internet or newer cars with that capability. Also, people keep forgetting that technology glitches.

Personally, I like traditional radio better. Then again, I'm more old school and I hate having to be dependent on the latest high-tech gadget for much of anything. Using cell phones and the latest computer software has even become more of a pain today.