UnevenEdge

This Is America

i watched this twice yesterday. once because everyone was losing their Fing minds about it, and a second time because i didn't really see anything that made me go "oooh" the first time i watched it. i saw a bit more the second time, but meh. i mean, so many layers, amirite?

i get it though. the whole commentary on the infatuation with pop culture / media / trendiness set against a backdrop of violence, murder, chaos. the blatant disregard for human life but the careful handling of firearms. etc etc. it makes a point. i'm just not sure that it deserves to be called "genius" or that it's this revolutionary piece of art. it feels like all the subtle references and easter eggs are almost too forced.

one thing i did notice that doesn't seem to be getting any attention though. i think the handgun in the opening was cgi or some other trickery. it wasn't in his waistband before he turned to the camera, and yet he whipped it out like nothing. makes me wonder if the squib / exit wound was also cgi. and if that is indeed the case, is that yet another subtle comment on how the violence is "manufactured" or some shit? or perhaps it's part of the jim crow reference. or maybe it's just nothing, and glover just didn't want to actually act the scene out with a real gun.

meh. i guess as long as the video gets people talking and thinking and feeling things, then purpose served.

Finally watched this after seeing the memes for a week. The videos pretty well made and constructed, but the song is interesting too with how switches between different sections. The music video did alot to stage the transitions like how the bridge would shift into the chorus whenever Gambino shot at the man or the choir.  Reminds me of some of the artsier stuff he did on Because the Internet.

• Like 1