UnevenEdge

Sunday dinner

crackymckrackin

Every Sunday growing up we would go to my grandmother's home for lunch. She was dirt poor but every sunday she would put on a spread that was fit for a soul food king. Fried chicken, cornbread, fried greens and what ever else she could get her hands on. Growing up l never really appreciated the effort she put into it. Everything she made was from scratch. She would make pies with huge whipped peaks on top. Even with all that food, nothing was wasted, cornbread was mixed with buttermilk for a late night snack. The greens were refried for lunch and the chicken was mixed back in with dumplings. I really miss that lady. Did any of you have these types of traditions. Im honestly thinking of doing it with my kid just so we xan make these memories with his kids if he ever has any.

• Like 1

When I was a kid, we would go to my great great aunt's (my grandfather's aunt) house once a week for years and she would make dinner or get a pizza for us and my cousins as well as her own great grandkids that were the same age.

There were several different things she made, but she would always say that there were so many things she had forgotten how to make in her old age because we were all picky eaters, but she still made a number of things that I liked. Her mashed potatoes were the greatest thing in the history of mankind.

Depending on the time of year, all of us kids would go out and run around or play, or come up with games to play inside, or we would play card games that she taught us.

Even though she died when I was a senior in high school, I still have recurring dreams on occasion of going over there. So I would say it's a tradition that had a long-term impact.

• Like 1