UnevenEdge

So there's a Junji Ito anime now. Cool.

pail

On 1/13/2018 at 1:49 AM, HardcoreHunter said:

2nd episode was better than the first. Still it seems like it isn't fully capturing the unsettling nature of the manga. 

Yeah, I'm not well-versed in his work, but that was closer to what I was expecting. I guess you could kind of see the first story as something being told from the point of view of the "monster" or force causing bad things to happen to people? 

Ito's work tends to go against common sense. Like seeing something and instinctively sensing danger, and knowing the easiest way to avoid it, but the character blindly keeps going forward. He also exaggerates one character to counter others nonchalant attitudes of messed up situations, or what he sees is messed up.  The story in the 2nd episode was a satire he wrote back when Fashion models were a big thing. To him fashion models look like these tall boneyard skeleton horror shows and sees no beauty in them. It is shown in the story how one guy in the group is instantly put off by the witch monster while everyone else were more indifferent of her.  For him it's like hearing people praise something he views as hideous and thinking he was being strange for not being like minded. Today though I have been reading people trying to link it to SJW despite the story being decades before the whole SJW thing. 

Semi-related I just found that the group were inept film makers. You don't have to film in order. This is why you don't bring people for a shoot on a day where you won't need them. Also lighting is a thing, they filmed and re-shot some scenes with different lighting which would be jarring as all fuck. They somehow fit a whole cast and film crew plus equipment into one mini-van. Also they lacked a makeup artist which you kinda need because you need flat shades for lighting, which they were already shit at. People were literally talking over the actors while filming. Audio editing can do a lot but not if you are talking right next to the fucking microphone closer than the actors. Everyone was a little too meh over that guy telling them that witch bitch was eating the one girl. Then that guy was like here I'll show you...The fuck? They were already on the fence of just leaving. This may have made more sense if the person being eaten were the one who had the keys to the van, but they really have to confirm this despite being able to leave whenever. Then they left anyway despite their reason being that they should just stay so that she doesn't try to get revenge on them....Kinda a double edged sword yinz sent yourselves up for on that I suppose. Either you stay there and get eaten, or you leave in which case you may be killed in the future possibly maybe. Then again this is japan and ghosts don't play games like western ones do. Our haunted houses you leave the house and the ghosts can't do shit. In Japan you leave the house and you and possibly anyone you have interacted with will die.  

• Like 1