UnevenEdge

Boxing Superfights that you want to see

Zenigundam

• 3 weeks later...

GGG vs. Andre Ward yup yup

Danny Garcia vs. Keith Thurman that would be interesting

GGG vs. Canelo Alvarez hell yes

GGG vs. Mayweather (because Floyd would get KO'ed) too big for May....Canelo was big for May and GGG is bigger than him

Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder I'd rather see Wilder vs. Joshua...Fury has a lot going on right now and I wouldn't trust the condition he would show up in

Roman Gonzalez vs. Naoya Inoue crime scene  : o

Agreed, Garcia and Thurman are extremely overrated. In a stronger era, they're slightly above average in their weight class.

Canelo vs. Lemieux would have been a classic fight, but Canelo is a coward and will only fight scrubs like Chavez Jr instead of taking on someone like Lemieux who could very well knock him out late and destroy the Golden Boy cash cow.

Canelo's fight with Mayweather showed he was overrated. He was clumsy, timid, unathletic, and lacked heart. You put Mayweather against real all-time great light middleweights, and he loses since his real success was at lightweight. 

uhhh, what...Canelo lost to the p4p best, not some bum....he would destroy Lemieux  :D

I love how your arguments in this thread against Mayweather involve just throwing bigger and bigger men at him....yeah, he's not big, we get it...still better than anyone you've mentioned...

Mayweather's not the "pound for pound" best. Hahahaha that's a good one. He hasn't knocked anybody out consistently since he fought at 130.

The real P4P bests are Chocolatito and GGG. They actually knock people out. Just saying, Canelo will never be mentioned as one of the best fighters of his era. I see him having at least five losses by the end of his career if he doesn't cherry pick and will only be remembered as a very good boxer.

Canelo might beat Lemieux, but it'd be something that happens very late or goes to the scorecards. Just no way he dominates him IMO. He doesn't have the technical advantages that Golovkin has. Lemieux isn't some bum; He was already being regarded as the best fighter Canada ever produced even in his early years when Lucian Bute was still the #1 Canadian boxer across weight classes.

uhhh, what...Canelo lost to the p4p best, not some bum....he would destroy Lemieux  :D

Seems like Canelo has been the fan favorite to hate since Mayweather retired...I'm not really a fan of Canelo, I haven't been since before he vacated the belt to GGG but it seems like especially in boxing fans have distorted opinions based on their personal feelings on "X" fighter....pretty sure there's still people that think Mayweather doesn't deserve his record or isn't one of the all time greats

Seems like Canelo has been the fan favorite to hate since Mayweather retired...I'm not really a fan of Canelo, I haven't been since before he vacated the belt to GGG but it seems like especially in boxing fans have distorted opinions based on their personal feelings on "X" fighter....pretty sure there's still people that think Mayweather doesn't deserve his record or isn't one of the all time greats

Yeah, I never understood that...I'm watching to see the fighter, I don't care about the person....for me, this goes for every sport....I don't see them as personal heroes or role models, I don't want to hang out with them, I just want to see the performance, that's it...

Yeah, Canelo is very protected as he is the Mexican superstar and, from the recent financial paperwork released by Golden Boy in the Al Haymen lawsuit, he's the only thing keeping Golden Boy from going under....that being said, the kid has talent...how far he goes, I can't say

So in your opinion only a fighter that knocks people out can be the best?....

He also said "the greatest fighter Canada ever produced" as though that meant something impressive....everyone knows the greatest fighters in history have all come from the boxing hotbed that is Canada  >:D

He also said "the greatest fighter Canada ever produced" as though that meant something impressive....everyone knows the greatest fighters in history have all come from the boxing hotbed that is Canada  >:D

Yeah Lemieux has heart, he's a tough fighter but he seems too one dimensional to pose a real threat to Canelo

Yeah Lemieux has heart, he's a tough fighter but he seems too one dimensional to pose a real threat to Canelo

inorite....it appeals to the kind of fight fan I assume Zeni is...alot of casual fans just love that guy that comes forward all the time and fights with a lotta heart and sledge hammers for hands, but no real wrinkles in his game to speak of....it's almost like they don't want to be "tricked" by all that "fancy" stuff....they respect a meat and potatoes fighter "'cause that's how a real man fights"  -_'

Mayweather's record is certainly padded, but I dislike that he's given credit for being a great at welterweight too. At lightweight and super featherweight, he was a had incredible hand speed and solid power, but he can't knock anybody out at welterweight, barring somebody walking into a clean counter, and there are many welterweights from the past and during PBF's career who would have beaten him.

I'd consider these the best fighters of all-time in each major weight class.

Bantamweight- Eder Jofre

Featherweight- Salvador Sanchez

Lightweight- Roberto Duran

Welterweight- Sugar Ray Robinson

Middleweight- Roy Jones Jr.

Heavyweight- Lennox Lewis

So in your opinion only a fighter that knocks people out can be the best?....

If you move up to a weight class that's not the optimal class for your skills and power, you have to at least not be scared to fight the best fighters in that class in their primes. Floyd was always terrified of doing that.

Although Canelo has a lot of variety to his game, he's still a fairly slow, bulky fighter. That'd be fine if he were a knockout monster, but he's really not. Absent knockout power in both hands, a fighter should be fleet of foot and incredibly athletic, and I don't see Canelo as either. In order for Canelo to impress me with his frame, he'd have to be the Marciano of 154, and he sure doesn't look like it!  :-X