UnevenEdge

Toonami Weekly Marathon Stream 2017 Archive & Updates

In this thread, I will archive each weekly marathon stream for the year 2017, so that there will be a historical record of it.

1/2/17-1/6/17: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episodes #11-#20

1/9/17-1/13/17: One-Punch Man Episodes 1-10

1/16/17-1/20/17: Hunter x Hunter Episodes 21-23 (they screwed up), 26-30

1/23/17-1/27/17: Naruto: Shippuden Episodes 131-140

1/30/17-2/3/17: KILL la KILL Episodes 16-24

2/6/17-2/10/17: One Piece (Episodes #s unknown)

2/13/17-2/17/17: Dragon Ball Super Episodes #1-#5

2/20/17-2/24/17: Moble Suit Gundam Unicorn Re:0096 Episodes #1-#5

2/27/17-3/3/17: Attack on Titan Episodes #01-#10

3/6/17-3/7/17: Samurai Jack briefly appeared before getting its own stream channel

3/7/17-3/10/17: Moble Suit Gundam Unicorn Re:0096 Episodes #1-#5

3/13/17-3/17/17: Sword Art Online II Episodes 1-10

3/20/17-3/24/17: DBZ Kai Final Chapters Episodes 99-103

3/27/17-3/31/17: Ghost In The Shell (2nd Gig) Episodes #26-#35

4/3/17-4/7/17: Cowboy Bebop Sessions #1-#5

4/10/17-4/14/17: Dimension W Files 01-10

4/17/17-4/21/17: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Episodes 1-10

4/24/17-4/28/17: The Big O Acts 1-5 briefly Monday afternoon, then 14-18 Tuesday-Friday

5/1/17-5/5/17: Dragon Ball Super Episodes #6-#10

5/8/17-5/12/17: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re:0096 Episodes #6-#15

5/15/17-5/19/17: Hunter x Hunter Episodes 31-35

5/22/17-5/26/17: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Episodes 11-20

5/29/17-6/2/17: Tokyo Ghoul Episodes 1-5

6/5/17-6/9/17: Naruto Shippuden Episodes 141-150

6/12/17-6/16/17: DBZ Kai (Final Chapters) Episodes 99-108

6/19/17-6/23/17: Samurai Jack Season 5 Episodes 1-10

6/26/17-6/30/17: Attack on Titan (Season 2): Episodes #26-#30

7/3/17-7/7/17: Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex HD Episodes #11-#20

7/10/17-7/14/17: Dragon Ball Super: Episodes #11-#20

7/17/17-7/21/17: Cowboy Bebop HD Sessions #11-#20

7/24/17-7/28/17: Dragon Ball Super: Episodes #16-#20

7/31/17-8/4/17: Attack On Titan (Season 2): Episodes #31-#35

8/7/17-8/11/17: DBZ Kai (Final Chapters) Episodes 111-120

8/14/17-8/18/17: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Episodes 11-20

8/21/17-8/25/17: Dragon Ball Super: Episodes #16-#25

8/28/17-9/2/17: Attack on Titan (Season 2): Episodes #31-#35

9/4/17-9/8/17: Hunter x Hunter: Episodes 31-35 (again...  >:( )

9/11/17-9/15/17: Naruto Shippuden Episodes 161-165

9/18/17-9/22/17: Tokyo Ghoul Episodes 1-5

9/25/17-9/29/17: Lupin the 3rd Part 4 Episodes 1-5

10/2/17-10/6/17: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re:0096 Episodes 1-5

10/9/17-10/13/17: Dragon Ball Super: Episodes #21-#25

10/16/17-10/20/17: Attack on Titan (Season 2): Episodes #26-#30

10/23/17-10/27/17: Ghost In The Shell (2nd Gig) Episodes #26-#30 (in Shit-D)

10/30/17-11/3/17: Tokyo Ghoul √Ā Episodes 3-7 (Overall 15-19)

11/6/17-11/10/17: Dragon Ball Super: Episodes #26-#30

11/13/17-11/17/17: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Episodes 1-5

11/20/17-11/24/17: Hunter × Hunter Episodes #61-#65

11/27/17-12/1/17: Naruto Shippuden: Episodes #166-#170

12/4/17-12/8/17: Outlaw Star Episodes 1-5

12/11/17-12/15/17: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episodes #26-#30

12/18/17-12/22/17: Lupin the 3rd Part 4 Episodes 11-15

12/25/17-12/29/17: Samurai Jack Season 5 Episodes 1-5 (XCII-XCVI)

And in your stocking, here's the Samurai to close out 2017...

Edited by OwlChemist81
Update

• 2 weeks later...

It's Dragon Ball Super this week, again! #16-#20 were playing Monday-Wednesday, like WTF 2 weeks ago, but I guess this week's WTF we get #21-#25!

Edit: nope. It's Thursday and we've still got #16-#20. Maybe they'll fix it tonight and let #21-#25 play Thursday @ 9 PM-ish to Friday @ 8 PM? Only time will tell...

The real question is why are they not showing JJBA Part 1: Phantom Blood this week, as it's a direct prequel to Part 3, which airs this Saturday night? (Part 2 is really more of a flashback side-story, despite the fact that the adventures of Young Joseph took up almost 2/3 of the first season.)

Good thing you can still watch Episodes 8 and 9 for free, with no cable log-in (as well as 10-12 if you're so inclined...)

Edit: the stream never advanced. It's #16-#20 all week!

Did the stream ever switch episodes when Bebop was on last week? They tend to not do so for whatever reason during big events such as SDCC. But to ignore it on this particular week would be strange.

Yes, it did advance on Wednesday night during Bebop. But it never advanced the last time it featured DBS last week, which means we had those same 5 episodes for a total of 7 days!

As for this week, didn't get enough of the AOT S2 marathon which streamed this weekend? Well, you're in luck, because it looks like the stream will feature #31-#35 all week long through Friday night at 8! Unfortunately, to finish the season currently requires a FUNimation NOW account, as #37 isn't streaming, even with a cable log-in! Ditto for if you want to see #26-#28, though you can see #29 and #30 ("Season 2 Episodes 4 & 5") with a Cable log-in!

Now it's DBZ KFC on the stream, but I don't know which episodes. I'm just guessing it's #11-#15, which would be 109-113 of the whole Kai series! And hopefully episodes 114-118 (#16-#20 of Final Chapters) take over later this week.

Edit: the stream has advanced to the next 5 episodes of DBZ KFC as of last week!

Edit: While we are on the final streaming run for this batch of episodes, it has come to my attention that the episodes that actually played were #13-#22 of DBZ KFC, which happen to be 111-120 overall. Interesting choice. Right now it's Episodes #18-#22 of Final Chapters. It's a shame they can't do this 13-22 thing for other series, like Gundam Unicorn, which would be perfect in getting OVAs #5 and #6 on Monday-Wednesday, and then OVA #7 on Wednesday night-Friday.

It was worth watching since Gohan vs. Dabura is pretty awesome!

If you're just getting into JoJo now with Stardust Crusaders, wanna know what Joseph Joestar was like when he was younger? Well you're in luck. Not only are Episodes 11-15 now streaming on the Marathon Stream, but Episode 10 is now available streaming on its own for free with no cable log-in required! So you can watch all the way through Episode 20 this week courtesy of [as] and Toonami!

However, given recent events, this is certainly odd timing. In a time where white supremacists and neo-Nazis are either empowered or hated with a brand new fervor, why show an anime which actually uses them to help the protagonist? If you ask me, 1-10, which feature Phantom Blood (which does more to set up Part 3, which is currently airing on Toonami TV) and New York's JoJo (which is Part 2 but doesn't get to the Germans just yet), would have been a better choice, but Joseph Joestar's antics are a hoot seen even for the umpteenth time, so I'll give it a pass.

Well, the stream has advanced to Episodes 16-20, but it seems to be stuck in a loop on 20. If we ever get out of this, enjoy!

As for me, guess I'm moving on to a rewatch of 21-26 on my DVR!!

Edit: turns out it was just MY stream that was screwed up somehow. I was able to refresh and get it right! By then the battle of Caesar and Wamuu had already passed but I still have it on my DVR!

Guess what? This week it's more Dragon Ball Super, a show that's so overexposed it makes Samurai Jack seem rare these days! It gets 3 airings on TV AND the marathon stream at least once a month, sometimes TWICE!!

In fact, it seems ever since the midpoint of the year, every 2 weeks, the Marathon Stream shows a Dragon Ball show?? Meanwhile, Hunter x Hunter hasn't even gotten out of Heaven's Arena on the weekly stream, while on TV we're already on Greed Island, and Naruto Shippuden is still in pre-Pain filler Hell and on TV we're already past Pain vs. Naruto part 1 and back into filler Hell! If you're a long-runner on Toonami that isn't Dragon Ball or JoJo, SUCKS TO BE YOU!!

But thanks to last week's Marathon Stream, yeah, I may actually end up watching all of Battle Tendency in a single week!

So Attack on Titan is mysteriously skipping forward from Episode #30 to Episode #36 at 3 AM, but fear not!!

The marathon stream has you covered with #31-#35 all week long!!

What a coincidence, did you ever ask Demarco what's up with that?

We STILL have no schedule for the following week as well.

I did, and there was no reply. I don't believe it was a coincidence--I believe it was by design. However, it does beg the question as to why they never did anything like this before, unless maybe you count the KLK marathon that happened on the Stream right before they lost the rights to it back in February, which they inexplicably did not repeat for SAO beyond playing Episodes 1-10. But going forward, it shows promise. For example, it would be wise to play Gundam IBO episodes #16-#25 on the Stream in the first week of October leading up to Season 2's premiere on Toonami TV.

Hopefully the 9/9 and 9/16 schedules which are shrouded in mystery will be revealed soon. It also seems we're not losing double DBS at 8 PM anytime soon!

I did, and there was no reply. I don't believe it was a coincidence--I believe it was by design. However, it does beg the question as to why they never did anything like this before, unless maybe you count the KLK marathon that happened on the Stream right before they lost the rights to it back in February, which they inexplicably did not repeat for SAO beyond playing Episodes 1-10. But going forward, it shows promise. For example, it would be wise to play Gundam IBO episodes #16-#25 on the Stream in the first week of October leading up to Season 2's premiere on Toonami TV.

Hopefully the 9/9 and 9/16 schedules which are shrouded in mystery will be revealed soon. It also seems we're not losing double DBS at 8 PM anytime soon!

Something must be up. Demarco usually appreciates if people point out things like the wrong episode airing. If it was a legitimate mistake, he would've probably thanked you for letting him know.

I hope if something new is coming, they are not waiting until Dragon Con for the announcement since its only a week out. Of course it could be some legal hangup keeping things them from announcing anything. Or it could just simply be that they don't know what they want to do and are making their final choices.

I don't see the point in hiding a new rerun like this. It could be that we get Big O back on and its a Sunrise thing holding the announcement. I also have this strange feeling that they want to run Vision of Escflowne as a "unfinished business" pickup and that's Sunrise also. They seem to be the worst when it comes to finalizing deals. Apparently at Momocon, when asked what would be replacing GiTs their reply was "Can't legally comment" and they still couldn't at Comicon. So I have a snaking suspicion that this is some Sunrise business.

The on-air schedule was back on track, as we indeed got Attack on Titan episode #31 "Warrior" last Saturday night as the side dish after the 8-piece bucket of DBZ: KFC!!

But now it's Hunter x Hunter episodes 31-35, which also streamed like 3 months ago. We STILL can't get to the Kurapika/Phantom Troupe/Yorknew arc on weekday stream! Hopefully, we'll advance to 36-40 on Wednesday and that arc will FINALLY begin on the weekday stream!

But in the meantime, why not enjoy the Kastro/Hisoka fight that graced our TV screens in December/January? And then witness Hisoka's fightboner for Gon?

[could be worse]

Toonami observes Pain Awareness Month this week! This week, it's Viz's other current Toonami show Naruto Shippuden, which has advanced to unknown episodes, unlike its brethren Hunter x Hunter, which is inexplicably stuck in Heaven's Arena!

I'm thinking it's 151-160, but I don't know for sure. It appears the Stream starts over at 8 AM Eastern/7 AM Central on Monday mornings, which means it's only on the 2nd or 3rd episode of the 5-episode run right now. Kakashi has just perished as well, and I can't remember what number episode that was.

It seems like it has probably advanced beyond the end of the filler arc and the "crowjob", but I'm not sure. I'll get back to y'all as soon as I know more.

I believe they can and will next week or 2 weeks from now. Remember, we just had Episode 3 on the Toonami block Weekend stream!

Also, JoJo's Part 1 didn't get its first marathon (of Episodes 1-5) until the week before its Christmas Eve on-air marathon (of Episodes 5-10)!

As for a Stardust Crusaders on-air marathon? I would say Saturday before Halloween (October 28th), but how far back it would go is a mystery. If they get to use all of Toonami's timeslots, then we're talking 3-12, but that 3:30 AM timeslot might be different, so I'd say 4-12.

Edit regarding Shippuden: It's actually 161-165 right now (completely skipping the 150s, apparently)...or WAS before 8 PM-ish. Now the Toonami stream is playing...Robot Chicken!?

Nope, Pre-Flight. But it's still really weird that it switched to the Robot Chicken marathon when it got close to 8. Should be back to 161 about 9:30.

This week's selection is Tokyo Ghoul, which with the upcoming finale of Root A, kinda makes sense. Right now it's obviously episodes 1-5, but hopefully this Wednesday night it will shift to episodes 6-10, which almost brings us up to Root A.

Forgot about the quest to get a mask to hide ghoulish eyes, and the ghouliseum? Well, this is your lucky day; the Ghouls have come out to play!

Edit: no advance for Tokyo Ghoul tonight. Still stuck on episodes 1-5. It could happen tomorrow night but it's also been several weeks since we've had a Wednesday stream advance! Given that the last time it happened was with Dragon Ball Super around the 2-year anniversary of the Stream, I fear it may not happen anymore.

They COULD have showed the last 5 episodes of Gundam IBO S1, which to my knowledge have not yet aired on the weekday stream.

But instead we get the FIRST 5 episodes of Gundam Unicorn (again). I'm not even optimistic that they're moving on to the next 5 on Wednesday night  this time, since they haven't done that in over a month.

This is such a shame after what seemed like a coordinated effort between Toonami on-air and the Toonami stream to move episodes 6-10 of the rerun of Attack on Titan Season 2 to the Marathon stream and keep Toonami at 4.5 hours. Don't get me wrong; I'm glad that didn't happen, and we still got 6-10 rerunning on-air, with Toonami expanding to 5 hours. But if they could do that, and have that final run of KLK's 2nd arc on the stream back in February, then I thought maybe they could at least use the stream to re-introduce us to Gundam IBO's characters, but I guess I thought wrong.

Gundam Unicorn it is, which at least re-introduces us to Gundam after a long time, so enjoy.

Show me one other person who actually watches the stream to get refreshed on a show. The people who run it certainly can't, which explains the lack of effort. -_'

It's certainly a bunch of randomness that appears to have no correlation to what's aired on TV, and sometimes even detracts from it. (AOT S2 marathon of Episodes 1-5 before AOT S2 on-air marathon was probably a bad call, for example). But to see it being used more effectively would be a welcome change. Still, I guess it gets the narrow win this week because at least it's Gundam.

Hopefully Gundam IBO S2 doesn't start out cold and actually sort of re-introduces us to the world of Gundam IBO, especially for new viewers who just started watching Toonami.

That wasn't my point.

You still don't seem to realize how few people watch this stream as opposed to anything else [as] does. I do somewhat agree with your point that they could make it line up with the on-air block more often, but it's not likely since that effort is more likely to go into other parts of their streaming empire.

On the other hand, ask me what it's like to fight for a cause that is already irrational. :P

And my point was that everything big starts out small. With a little bit more effort, the weekday stream could be huge.

Now? Probably has about 100 people watching at any given time (NOT counting app streaming), but at one point when they still showed number watching, Kill la Kill was up to almost 500.

That's nothing compared to on-air ratings, but still significant.

No update.

We're stuck with Dragon Ball Super 21-25 throughout the whole week, it would seem, and Wednesday advancements are a thing of the past.

But we get a 10-show Toonami on Weekends; why can't we get 10-show marathons during the week? Then there would be no need for the Wednesday advance, and also, showing 5 episodes and then the same 5 is kinda hard to follow! But then again, even the weekend stream is fairly tough to follow, as you have no idea when it will begin, since it begins after Pre-Flight ends, and Pre-Flight has an irregular length!

Attack on Titan Season 2, episodes #26-#30. No advancement. If you want to see the transformation of Bertholdt and Reiner again, you'll need to look elsewhere.

Still no JoJo: Stardust Crusaders or Outlaw Star, but who the hell cares? The stream is a pale shadow of what it used to be on weekdays and has been for quite some time. They should change it up so that it at least shows a whole cour (11-14 episodes) like it used to. That would be a true "marathon!"

So we have GiTS 2ND GiG on the stream right now to tie into its on-air return, but it looks awful. I guess they went back to the original Shit-D tapes. That's poor management even by my low standards. ohno

Took the words right out of my mouth! Well at least it's not Samurai Jack. Looks passably decent on a smartphone, but full-screen streaming on a laptop? FUGEDDABOUTIT!!!

:painfap: And still no JoJo: Stardust Crusaders or Outlaw Star on weekdays.

So, maybe you can explain this to me; there is a Toonami stream which requires that any show they air have streaming rights along with it. The stream quality is garbage, the variety is limited and generally it is an afterthought at best, an active detriment to the quality level of the Toonami brand at worst. They should stick to broadcast rights for shows that will do well, and leave the streaming to others. People will tune in for unique Toonami packaging content such as Intruder events. Combine and develop that aspect with broadcasting a mix of good new shows and older favorites. Personally, I think that would be a much better mix than the current limited selection because "Ugh Netflix got the rights!". Netflix has no need for broadcast rights, nor would they give a rat's ass, so get the broadcast rights for the shows you like, and F streaming.

Personally, I think Toonami should have some online presence, and the stream is good enough for that. Giving it a paid(?) streaming service like a much smaller Crunchyroll would be a direct contradiction of what it is as a brand. And yes, they did have Jetstream way back in the day, but when they did it, streaming as a primary form of viewing was just a glimmer in the eye of the guys delivering Netflix DVDs to everyone's mailboxes. Also, in regards to what the hell is up about the broadcast rights vs. streaming, I have no answer. Do the companies licensing out these shows require Toonami to get everything in one shot? I guess so, considering that the Kill la Kill dub has only ever streamed on the Internet through the [adult swim] site. Maybe Toonami would have less of a problem losing shows to Netflix if they didn't require a full package. So they could still show things on TV and not be considered competition, and everyone would be happy. But I don't know. I don't know at all. |::

Now, this whole idea with the stream... is kind of dumb, honestly. If I was genuinely interested in what they're playing, I'd rather watch it on my own terms, and preferably in better quality. Presenting it as a marathon means only the die-hard Toonami fans are going to appreciate it, because a lot of people don't have the time to sit down and watch it all in order, in two-hour shifts, with no breaks other than maybe pausing it and hoping the web client doesn't go kaboom. There should be an easier way to get your fix of this stuff. And it's not going to have to follow the Toonami broadcast every week, owing to how few people see it (at least right now), but they could at least play more newer shows, and maybe others Toonami doesn't currently have rerunning, like IGPX.

So, maybe you can explain this to me; there is a Toonami stream which requires that any show they air have streaming rights along with it. The stream quality is garbage, the variety is limited and generally it is an afterthought at best, an active detriment to the quality level of the Toonami brand at worst. They should stick to broadcast rights for shows that will do well, and leave the streaming to others. People will tune in for unique Toonami packaging content such as Intruder events. Combine and develop that aspect with broadcasting a mix of good new shows and older favorites. Personally, I think that would be a much better mix than the current limited selection because "Ugh Netflix got the rights!". Netflix has no need for broadcast rights, nor would they give a rat's ass, so get the broadcast rights for the shows you like, and F streaming.

This is true, but only on the weekdays. On weekends from about 9 PM Friday through 8 AM Monday ET, the stream actually shows the entire Toonami block from 4 weeks prior. That is actually a useful feature for anyone who doesn't have Adult Swim on cable who would like to keep up with these shows. And with few exceptions due to glitches (such as when they mistakenly showed Gundam IBO episode 18 instead of Gundam Unicorn episode 18), it's exactly the same, only 4 weeks behind.

The weekday stream started out useful, and actually played through an entire show in a week. Then in 2016 around April they scaled it back to 5 shows at a time, playing twice between each Pre-Flight episode. This has long since been mind-boggling to me, as it seems it would just make more sense to play 5 episodes, then Pre-Flight. But that's not currently how they do it. The whole thing is just one great big major head-scratcher, and it seems to me they would be better off just letting that old Toonami block play all week long.

In case anyone cares, no advancement. Still GITS #26-#30.

That makes the 9th week in a row of no Wednesday advancement. I'd say that's the new norm. If you watch on Monday, you've seen everything for the week.

It is such a shame. When this first debuted in 2015, every Monday morning was like Christmas morning, because you KNEW (with a few glitchy exceptions) you were getting a full cour of a series for the next 2 days. Now? It's just the same 5 episodes over and over and over again all week! Useful for a busy weekday schedule, but terrible for watching a whole series.

Weekends for the most part have retained their excitement. Sure, the stream is now 4 weeks behind, but at least you're still getting episodes later in normal size series than episodes 1-5, and it might be useful to rewatch them for stuff you missed before, especially if your recording glitched.

Now? It's just the same 5 episodes over and over and over again all week! Useful for a busy weekday schedule, but terrible for watching a whole series.

There are a lot of people who don't mind that, honestly. I can't think of many who would want to binge a whole show in such little time. But, at the same time, seeing just five episodes of a show in a week is too much of a tease. Especially if you're emotionally invested in it and want to continue the story elsewhere. So all in all, airing any amount of a show on the stream is going to disappoint somebody.

Personally, if they're not going to air more than five episodes at a time, I'd rather them junk this idea entirely. Just air the time-delayed block all week. Maybe they could work to have it on just a one or two week delay to compensate.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A this week. Since Halloween is Tuesday and Day of the Dead (which involves masks) is Thursday, good call.

Even if it's just the same 5 episodes beat to death all week, at least they work with the season!

Edit: the episode selection is quite strange. I'm not sure if we actually see the One-Eyed Owl in these episodes (well, not in Owl form anyway). To make a long story short, it's actually Episodes 15-19, which I figured out because Episode 20, the 8th of Root A, is titled "Old Nines", and that's what showed in the next episode preview right before the cut to Pre-Flight. If the Wednesday advance is back this week, then that means the week would end with Episodes 20-24. Not that I ever wanted to see that ho-hum ending again, but it's kinda neat that they're doing it with a series if so.

Now if they would only do it with Gundam Unicorn, as that would leave 13-17, the content of OVA's 5-6, on Monday-Wednesday, and then 18-22, the content of OVA 7, on Wednesday-Friday. That would be pretty neat, even if everyone who wants to watch it that way has probably already used their DVRs to do so.

Dragon Ball Super this week. And looks like it's episodes 26-30.

I gotta say, this is an incredibly stupid way to watch a series. Then again, I guess it's really not THAT much worse than one episode a week!

However, to add to the stupidity even further, they actually glitched and repeated one episode, and it's the one in which Frieza destroys the Earth and Whis grants a do-over, then Goku beats Frieza before he can destroys the planet!

I mean, if you're going to repeat an episode during a marathon that repeats 5 episodes over and over again, I guess that's not a bad one to repeat, but still, OVERKILL!!!

And it appears there was no Wednesday advance either. I'll be shocked when it DOES happen. Also, no clue if they fixed the glitch, and I doubt I'll ever know. Hell, at this point, I barely care.