UnevenEdge

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 Episode #20 Discussion!

Rewatching this episode right now, I noticed something that didn't jump out at me before. It was mentioned that the Box was a treaty that established the Universal Century, and that some of y'all felt it was "stupid" that something like this simply recognized that Newtypes have rights. Well, that wasn't quite the point of the Box. That article that had been stricken from the century goes beyond that, and mentions that if the Newtypes emerge, it is they who shall RULE the world (priority positions in government), not simply be recognized to have rights equal to non-Newtypes. THAT is why the cover-up and the secret of Laplace's Box. Kind of a "divine right of kings" thing.

That's the kind of show this is, one you've gotta watch multiple times to REALLY figure out what's going on, and I'm fine with that. Ghost In The Shell was similar. Too bad unlike GITS the ratings are so bad it will probably never air again, but what can ya do?

Rewatching this episode right now, I noticed something that didn't jump out at me before. It was mentioned that the Box was a treaty that established the Universal Century, and that some of y'all felt it was "stupid" that something like this simply recognized that Newtypes have rights. Well, that wasn't quite the point of the Box. That article that had been stricken from the century goes beyond that, and mentions that if the Newtypes emerge, it is they who shall RULE the world (priority positions in government), not simply be recognized to have rights equal to non-Newtypes. THAT is why the cover-up and the secret of Laplace's Box. Kind of a "divine right of kings" thing.

That's the kind of show this is, one you've gotta watch multiple times to REALLY figure out what's going on, and I'm fine with that. Ghost In The Shell was similar. Too bad unlike GITS the ratings are so bad it will probably never air again, but what can ya do?

I didn't even catch all that until I listened to the Toonami Showdown podcast.  And even they didn't mention the thing about Newtypes having some divine rights bullshit.  Besides the whole fact of Newtypes in general being stupid (why would you get psychic powers from living in space?), it feels very artificial in the way it's obviously written in after the fact, based on previous Gundam mythos.  How the hell would they be able to predict that Newtypes might come into existence?

More like the show is so bad no one is ever going to watch it again. :D I don't think you need to watch GitS multiple times to understand it, either.  You can notice new things and look at things differently than you might have at first, though.