UnevenEdge

Kids networks and kids shows going extinct

Sketch

Linear cable is dying more and more every year but more so than that, linear cable aimed at children is hitting critical lows and it seems like a lot less children's television is being produced even for streaming.

Adult Swim has eaten up basically all worthwhile time on The Cartoon Network, WBD is killing more of their remaining kids shows, Nickelodeon networks are being eyed for either big changes or removal from cable packages and with all the media consolidation there's a lot less companies attempting to make kids programming even for streaming services.

There's dozens of free streaming kids programs but the vast majority of them are from decades ago and probably entertain 30+ adults more than kids.

Many of us grew up in an era when Saturday morning cartoons, weekday afternoon blocks and kid-targeted cable networks were a significant part of growing up in the US. Now these things are considered relics of the past and kids aren't clamoring for these institutions for entertainment.

I never thought I'd see the day when it looked this likely for not only Cartoon Network but also Nickelodeon to go off the air. They probably won't but they will continue to stagnate as long as the companies that own them wont make much of anything for them to air.

Years of cartoons that were supposed to be for kids really being by weirdo shippers for weirdo shippers, a general reluctance to make merchandise driven stuff nearly ceding that sector entirely to film, and muddled demographics mean this is what happens.  

I think I saw the writing on the wall earlier in the year when I had one of those monthly movie passes and spent a Sunday watching that recap Demon Slayer film.  Families bought their kids, and those kids were 9-10, tops.  Yes it’s a young boys franchise but it was an R rated film with beheadings.  That’s the purest definition of muddled demographics.  Especially with the internet where everyone has an opinion on a show.  Ironically one of the few that seemed to embrace being for kids was one adults hate, Teen Titans Go.

2 hours ago, Jman said:

Years of cartoons that were supposed to be for kids really being by weirdo shippers for weirdo shippers, a general reluctance to make merchandise driven stuff nearly ceding that sector entirely to film, and muddled demographics mean this is what happens.  

I think I saw the writing on the wall earlier in the year when I had one of those monthly movie passes and spent a Sunday watching that recap Demon Slayer film.  Families bought their kids, and those kids were 9-10, tops.  Yes it’s a young boys franchise but it was an R rated film with beheadings.  That’s the purest definition of muddled demographics.  Especially with the internet where everyone has an opinion on a show.  Ironically one of the few that seemed to embrace being for kids was one adults hate, Teen Titans Go.

And TTG is one of the few still cranking out episodes.

I don’t think the approach to kids shows in the 2010s and 2020s is necessarily the problem but in attempts to appeal to a broader audience the course correction was arguably too far to the other side.