UnevenEdge

Urusei Yatsura (2022) Deserves A Toonami Slot (Yes, really.)

Mr. Idea Box

Hi! This is my first post here, so please understand I'm new to this site. Now, let's get to the meat and potatoes...

Earlier this year, I've realized something about the Urusei Yatsura reboot: It belongs on Toonami's schedule.

Think about the list of Toonami programs from the past 13 months and tell me there wouldn't be a pattern:

• Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon was the previous time a Rumiko Takahashi series was revisisted. It aired on Toonami.
  • Lupin the Third Part 6 was the latest installment in a vintage anime franchise, one that dwells more on comedy and hijinks than shonen or drama. It aired on Toonami.
  • Made in Abyss was dubbed by Sentai Filmworks and can be seen on HiDive, not Crunchyroll. It aired on Toonami.
  • The original Naruto series, the one from the 2000s, was animated by Studio Pierrot. It, Boruto, and Shippuden have all aired on Toonami at some point.
  • One Piece has an oni named Yamato in Luffy's ally circle. While Yamato herself has a way to go before her introduction can be localized, the show is still ongoing on the block.
  • My Hero Academia's protagonist, Izuku "Deku" Midoriya, has an absentee father who breathes fire and travels the world. Lum's cousin Ten can breathe fire whenever he wants AND travels the galaxy on a whim. (I'm not saying Deku or Inko are secretly part oni, but...)
  • Genndy Tartakovsky has his hands on Primal and Unicorn: Warriors Eternal. The original Urusei Yatsura may have inspired the creators of the 2003 Teen Titans animated series.
  • One of the highlights to FLCL is their reference to South Park, of all things. Wendy Darling made a cameo in the Urusei Yatsura reboot, using the design the original UY gave her.
  • Food Wars revolves around ludicrously grand chef skills. Ironically, Lum and the other Oni don't taste human food unless it's too spicy for human consumption. Just ask Ataru.
  • Not only did My Adventures with Superman become a hit, but Injustice aired on Toonami a few months prior. You can draw a connection between Lum and Wonder Woman.
  • Demon Slayer has Tanjiro protect his sister from fully becoming a demon, but Nezuko became a breakout favorite very quickly. Very soon into the manga's run, Lum outpaced Ataru as the face of Urusei Yatsura.

I know I'm reaching for some of these, but I hope I've made my point clear: The Urusei Yatsura reboot already deserves a timeslot on Toonami in my eyes, and it's a personal dream pick of mine to see it on there.

• Confused 1

Earlier in the year quite a few people speculated it might be one of the 2023 pickups but that didn’t come to pass. 

Personally, I’d rather not. The new anime butchers the source material with modern day sensibilities, and without the fanservice it’s a pretty mid series. Air shows by their own merit, not just who wrote them. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1