UnevenEdge

KeyofGeebz "Old Composer Reacts" videos

Raptorpat

Wanted to share this YouTube channel that popped up in my recommendations a few weeks ago. It's this professional composer named Geebz who makes videos listening to music outside of his normal universe of music (he's got a couple other channels that I haven't explored), and he got himself caught in the YouTube algorithm once he started doing videos on anime themes and video game OSTs. The video game stuff picked up enough that he jumped into doing live Twitch streams.

It's a super simple concept but there was just something wholesome and smiley about seeing an old guy listen to super nostalgic nerd stuff that he's never even heard of until making the video, and then tell you why it's great. A couple examples that I watched:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

omg 

so he set up a twitch for the video game OST stuff. I watched the Donkey Kong vod and it seemed a really good fit for what he wants to do, because he can engage the audience in real time and they can correct him etc. and then he gets to meander through stories and anecdotes between songs. the audience itself seems equally wholesome and not the cringe stuff you'd be afraid of. you can tell he's clearly got a twitch high.

SO HE'S TAKEN IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1745458773

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ColdFusion said:

Been watching this guy's stuff consistently, very nice. Got invited here from the stream, someone's thinking of setting up a sub-forum here for Geebz and/or for the subject of.. game music?

I think, the fact that the geebz streams are turning into a bit of a cohesive group with regulars and shared interests and jokes etc., but everyone just disperses between streams, *and* we're kind of set up already as a place focused on those shared interest - games, music, anime, etc. - I think it's a good fit!

Buuuuut unfortunately I kind of happened to make the suggestion as he was rushing out the door and shutting it down for the night, so I think I could do a better job of actually getting people's attention next go-around.

If folks do start to hop over, this thread can function as an HQ of sorts with the various topical folders open for use, and if a bunch of folks all come over and it makes sense, I can set up a separate sub-board.

That was a hell of a lovely stream. I can feel the joy when people got their request filled after so many streams going unheard. and Journey really works with a different game's music in the background, particularly if it's ambient and continuous.

• Like 1