UnevenEdge

Looking for an MMO to play

Distinct Lunatic

Recently started becoming interested in picking up on an MMO, but wasn't quite sure which ones are worth looking into, I haven't really been paying much attention to that part of the gaming industry.

I was curious about Monster Hunter World, I think some people I know talked about it before, but I don't know anything about the game, or that series.

I honestly don't really know what all mmo's people play or talk about, I remember Elder Scrolls Online was a pretty big deal I think, but I give zero shits for that franchise.

Monster Hunter isn't an MMO, although those games are fun in multiplayer. (I haven't played World yet, was going to but plans fell through)

The ones I've heard the most over the last couple years are Final Fantasy XIV and WOW Classic. I know Star Wars: The Old Republic was supposed to be good, but been a while since I heard about that and not sure if it's still a thing,

4 hours ago, Ric said:

Monster Hunter isn't an MMO, although those games are fun in multiplayer. (I haven't played World yet, was going to but plans fell through)

The ones I've heard the most over the last couple years are Final Fantasy XIV and WOW Classic. I know Star Wars: The Old Republic was supposed to be good, but been a while since I heard about that and not sure if it's still a thing,

Yeah, I just found that out after buying it, playing it for around an hour or so before requesting a refund. It didn't seem like a bad game, just wasn't my type of game.

I'm somewhat interested in FFXIV, though I've heard that's one you really need to be in a group to be able to get into it, and I don't know anyone or where to begin. I'm curious about WoW Classic, but I don't want to give Blizzard anymore of my money.

And I do like SWTOR, I got into it a few years ago. I did all 4 of the force user classes, but I can't really get into the other ones. Sith Warrior and Inquisitor were my favorite ones to play, the annoying thing though is I'm far into the story, past the initial story arcs, which means in order for me to continue with those characters I have to become a paid member again, and I have a history of buying a month or two membership but only playing for a few days or a week, it going to waste.

Free MMOs aren't really feasible since there's typically a hook, like with WoW where after a certain level you have to start paying, or with SWTOR where there's a cutoff to free players story, as well as restricted items and a fraction of exp received, but I'd still prefer online games where it's possible to just buy the game for a standard amount, and have at it. I guess Destiny 2 is an option, which is probably a fair one since Bungie has full control, Activision-Blizzard no longer in control.

FF14 might just be the most solo-friendly MMO ever. Literally everything is gated by the main story quests. So unless you're gonna buy a boost (2 actually, since you need both a story and level boost), you have to get through the entire story from 2.0 to 5.2 (dropping today). A lot of people complain that this is a slog, without realizing that there's not actually a whole lot to do once you reach the "end" except grind a couple of the latest fights, or go back and do all the stuff you probably skipped trying to rush.

So, if you're in it for maybe a moderately engaging story (opinions may differ), it can be a good time. People exist, but you rarely, if ever, need to actually engage any of them. Periodically the story may require you to run a dungeon or a fight, but the system is set up to queue you in with anyone else running those or roulettes, so you don't really have to do any "looking for party" stuff, for most of it. Outdated high-end content doesn't fill up much unless you're willing to run with some massively overleveled/geared players to faceroll through it.

Summation, I'd never say you need to have a group or friends to really get into it. But, I'm also biased, being antisocial, and I actually enjoy the quiet of not having to, y'know, actually talk to anyone if I don't want. YMMV.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

FF14 might just be the most solo-friendly MMO ever. Literally everything is gated by the main story quests. So unless you're gonna buy a boost (2 actually, since you need both a story and level boost), you have to get through the entire story from 2.0 to 5.2 (dropping today). A lot of people complain that this is a slog, without realizing that there's not actually a whole lot to do once you reach the "end" except grind a couple of the latest fights, or go back and do all the stuff you probably skipped trying to rush.

So, if you're in it for maybe a moderately engaging story (opinions may differ), it can be a good time. People exist, but you rarely, if ever, need to actually engage any of them. Periodically the story may require you to run a dungeon or a fight, but the system is set up to queue you in with anyone else running those or roulettes, so you don't really have to do any "looking for party" stuff, for most of it. Outdated high-end content doesn't fill up much unless you're willing to run with some massively overleveled/geared players to faceroll through it.

Summation, I'd never say you need to have a group or friends to really get into it. But, I'm also biased, being antisocial, and I actually enjoy the quiet of not having to, y'know, actually talk to anyone if I don't want. YMMV.

is it free to play, subscription based, or just buy the game?

Will look into it down the line, cause as of today my PC is essentially a 50+ pound paperweight, the PSU in it I'm certain has kicked the bucket, it abruptly powering off and turning back on while doing intensive things like gaming. This happened to me back in Dec 2017, replacing that PSU solved the problem.

Fortunately it has a 7 year warranty, but until I get it replaced I'm using my second pc. To be fair though, my second pc is no slouch, and is capable of gaming.

• 2 weeks later...

dunno if this will be helpful, but since life's gotten busy, I started preferring lighter MMOs like Don't Starve Together or 7 Days to Die. They don't require as big a commitment and aren't very elder scrolls/wowish. They focus on survival, crafting, and building.

Before this, Citadel was pretty fun, and might be more like what you're looking for. It got old for me though :( maybe my tastes have changed with the adjustment.  

But Path of Exile is an amazing game and it's free to play (though I only played it the year it first came out - can't vouch on how things are now) and I hear good things on Astellia but don't want it to drain my life away so haven't tried