UnevenEdge

The Grudge - Reboot - R-Rated Horror Movie! - 01/03/20

Lytbryt

Raimi wanted to have another crack at it looks like. Idk if you noticed or not but at the end of the trailer it indicates that it is rated R for Disturbing Violence, Bloody Images, Terror and Some Language. I don't know about the origional but the remake and the sequel to the remake were both PG-13 and managed to get away w/ some pretty disturving stuff so... maybe this will be a good thing. I am interested in it I hate most modern horror movie are PG-13 because want the biggest audience possible there are some weird exception like Unfriended several years ago was R-rated for some reason mostly language I think so the R-rating is prosmissing I loved Lights Out which came out a few years ago but it too was PG-13 and would have benefit from a R-rate in my opinion. It's slate for a January 3 2020 relase so we will know soon enough!

Edited by Lytbryt

11 hours ago, Lytbryt said:

Raimi wanted to have another crack at it looks like. Idk if you noticed or not but at the end of the trailer it indicates that it is rated R for Disturbing Violence, Bloody Images, Terror and Some Language. I don't know about the origional but the remake and the sequel to the remake were both PG-13 and managed to get away w/ some pretty disturving stuff so... maybe this will be a good thing. I am interested in it I hate most modern horror movie are PG-13 because want the biggest audience possible there are some weird exception like Unfriended several years ago was R-rated for some reason mostly language I think so the R-rating is prosmissing I loved Lights Out which came out a few years ago but it too was PG-13 and would have benefit from a R-rate in my opinion. It's slate for a January 3 2020 relase so we will know soon enough!

I don't think the original had a rating but if it did I think it would have been a light-R or a hard PG-13. I only saw the remake once so don't remember it very well.

I feel like it isn't going to work. I can understand making a grudge anthology, it doesn't have to be the same ghost every time and can be around the world. Though the style doesn't mesh well at all. The ghost running out and doing these jump scares is garbage. That isn't scary at all there is no tension. This is more the problem with Western Horror, is a lack of understanding atmosphere. The thing I thought I saw out of the corner of my eye can often be more horrifying than what is directly in front of me. This doesn't capture any feeling of impending dread. It shows fight or flight moments of adrenaline and impulse. Yeah something running right at you is "scary" but for the wrong reason. Having an entity physically come at you is a natural reflex response to avoid brace yourself. There is no complexity to that kind of fear that will stick with someone, it's in the moment. On the other hand feeling a tickle on your shoulder and moving to brush it away only to feel someones hand and turning quickly to see nothing is there can stick with people. It's a common occurrence, we've all had that moment, but now when we get that slight itch maybe we'll think in the back of our mind what is really causing it, is there someone behind me etc. We've all had those moments where we thought we've seen something and our imagination can take over. That is what these films should be playing at. 

As well I don't know how, but the hair CG looks worse than what they pulled off in the 06 remake. It almost looks on par with how shitty the original Ju-on hair looked. Also it really doesn't work as well in a western story. In japan their Yurei have a long association with having long black hair that can move and bind. In america we never really had these traditional beliefs. American Ghosts are almost limited to moving objects and making it feel cold. 

Yeah ngl some of the shots in the traile look preety susupect like when it shows the ghost reach out of the tub then reverse shot to her head popping up when no one around.... like why u know? hopefulu just a trailer shot but then Johm Cho is walking up the star and the ghost is like crab-skittering behind him on the wall and it lloks like something stragiht out of Scary Movie. Some of it looks really comical and don't know how well it is going to work like you said looks like it is set in America now and it's not based in America originally sooo.... amd my best guess at the questionalbe CGI is because Sony CGI seems several years behind the curve. Either their staff is not trained well or doesn't have up to date equipment and software