UnevenEdge

I have never been so enthralled listening to a class lecture as I was tonight

Doom Metal Alchemist

I had Computer Music Production class tonight, the third time we've met, I believe. We were learning about how really old school analog synthesizers work. I think the giant ones with patch cables.  I don't know anything about electricity or voltage, and very little about sound waves, so this class (and Audio Engineering, which I'm also taking right now) have been very enlightening. It was difficult to understand, but not so difficult that I didn't get anything out of it, because I feel like I got a lot out of it. Prior to tonight I had no fucking idea how sound synthesis worked. Plus, the teacher brought up some software on the computer (I think it's called Reason) to simulate one of those old school synthesizers, and showed us how to play around with it, and a lot of the sounds he was making sounded straight out of 80s Atari and NES games. Then he let us fool around with the software on the computer stations in the class.

I've had a guitar synthesizer for a over a decade, but I barely know how to use it. I still get a lot out of it, because I use it to make my guitar sound like a tin whistle, a harp, a sitar, a tamboura, a pipe organ, etc. But with the knowledge I'm gaining in this class I should REALLY be able to utilize it.  O0

That's pretty cool!

I use to hate lecture classes except for one, my Philosophy teacher would actually bring the students into it and have discussions with them. 

He only offered his class on the Tues-Thur schedule and at 4 pm.  He later told us the reason behind that was he found not a lot of people liked taking classes on those days/times so it'd keep his class small and more personal

I really respected the guy after hearing that.  Dude was tenured, he could have easily just done a normal schedule been home for dinner with his family... instead he was still passionate about teaching and getting people to open up their minds.

That's pretty cool!

I use to hate lecture classes except for one, my Philosophy teacher would actually bring the students into it and have discussions with them. 

He only offered his class on the Tues-Thur schedule and at 4 pm.  He later told us the reason behind that was he found not a lot of people liked taking classes on those days/times so it'd keep his class small and more personal

I really respected the guy after hearing that.  Dude was tenured, he could have easily just done a normal schedule been home for dinner with his family... instead he was still passionate about teaching and getting people to open up their minds.

Honestly, I've never liked classes where the students were supposed to participate in the discussions. I never have anything to add.