UnevenEdge

Earlier this week in FFA, we discussed The Crow. Even though it has been a week since we last discussed both the comic book and the film, I thought I would share James O'Barr's autobiographical video about his comic book, The Crow.

Several years ago, I managed to stumble upon this video. For the last 2 decades, I have owned The Crow on VHS and this video is not on it. Therefore, I assume it was put on The Crow DVD a few years ago, after the movie was re-released.

When you watch the video, you cannot help noticing the amount of tragedy and adversities, that James O'Barr had to overcome throughout his life. I cannot help sympathizing as well as empathizing with him.

Some critics love mocking The Crow and the fanbase, especially when they have no idea the amount of tragedy surrounding Jame O'Barr, the franchise, and Brandon Lee. The fact that Brandon and James became close friends before Brandon's death, and that his life tragically imitated art leaves a long lasting impact.

Comic Book Author James O'Barr Shares His Life & Inspiration For The Crow

O'Barr Discusses His Personal Catharsis

James O'Barr Explains His Art Techniques & Work History

James O'Barr Shares Alex Proyas & Brandon Lee's Admiration

Edited by PurgatoryGirl
  • Like 1

O'Barr really did have a rough life. The fact that his fiancee was killed by a drunk driver stood out the most to me. I can't help sympathizing as well as empathizing with struggling to find love again, after that heartbreak.

Even though my first love was never killed, not being able to be with your first love anymore is like having an open wound in your heart, while having to overcome that heartache. I'm really glad that James O'Barr was able to find love again.

The movie is a slightly different from his comic book. In the comic book, the couple's car breaks down on the street in Detroit and Eric's fiancee gets raped and killed. Soon after, he gets killed by the same thugs.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

A profile of James O' Barr is on the bluray so maybe that's this. I just watched the film, haven't checked out the special features.

It wouldn't surprise me, if it is on the reissue of the film. I saw a few deleted scenes from The Crow on YouTube.

On my VHS from the '90s, it only has a clip of Brandon Lee's interview with him explaining about The Crow, along with advertisements for the original soundtrack.

I have both the movie and soundtrack on CD and VHS. Too bad I don't have a poster of Brandon. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I still love Brandon Lee. LOL!

58 minutes ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

O'Barr really did have a rough life. The fact that his fiancee was killed by a drunk driver stood out the most to me. I can't help sympathizing as well as empathizing with struggling to find love again, after that heartbreak.

Even though my first love was never killed, not being able to be with your first love anymore is like having an open wound in your heart, while having to overcome that heartache. I'm really glad that James O'Barr was able to find love again.

The movie is a slightly different from his comic book. In the comic book, the couple's car breaks down on the street in Detroit and Eric's fiancee gets raped and killed. Soon after, he gets killed by the same thugs.

Foster care without having his real birthday, then losing his fiance in a really senseless manner before shipping out. Talk about Karma just having it out for you.

Yeah, first love can be real tough. Most people are young and get over it, but sometimes, especially if it is tragic or sudden, it can be hard to get over, if they even do.

The comic story is much better than the movie honestly. I was kind of disappointed that there is going to be a reboot, but hey, if O'Barr is on board then it might be okay.

1 minute ago, Ginguy said:

The comic story is much better than the movie honestly. I was kind of disappointed that there is going to be a reboot, but hey, if O'Barr is on board then it might be okay.

Speaking of The Crow remake, they are no longer doing it. I, as well as many other fans of the original are so happy. Like it has been said countless times over the last decade or so, The Crow was Brandon Lee's legacy. O'Barr even said that a remake is still not going to make the amount of money or have the same impact as the original.

Oh, God. The thought of that is absolutely frightening.

For the remake, they once considered using Mark Wahlberg a.k.a. "Marky Mark" from Marky Mark And The Funky Bunch. He declined nearly 10 years ago.

Don't get me wrong. I like watching Mark as an actor, but I can't see him playing Eric Draven. Even though he has versatility in playing different roles, I cannot see him for the role of Eric.

If the remake were to be done right, it would probably be better to have someone like Johnny Depp or Mark Dacascos. It's not like Dascascos has never played Eric Draven before. He played it on the TV series 20 years ago.

1 minute ago, Ginguy said:

I'm kind of leaning towards Bradley Cooper. Man is a total chameleon.

I've only heard of Bradley Cooper. Years ago, they tried getting him to play Eric Draven. I think he either declined the role, or something else happened for it to not come to fruition. Regardless, I am glad they called it quits with the remake.

On 7/28/2018 at 10:00 PM, PurgatoryGirl said:

Oh, I never watched the movie.

I really recommend it. It is probably among the top five best bio-pics ever. It isn't really a war movie per se, but rather a movie about a Navy SEAL and how war affected him and his family. It is well done, balanced and excellently filmed. Well worth the time.