UnevenEdge

Resume/cover letter help needed

Doom Metal Alchemist

I am writing a resume and cover letter to apply for a cashier or customer service job at a retail store.

I have large gaps in my resume. So I want to address that in the resume, but I don't know if that's a good idea. So I am asking you UEers what you think.

Basically, this is the combination of work and education timeline:

2002 - 2007: College

2006 - 2007: Work

2007 - 2008: College

2010 - 2011: work

That covers all my college degrees/certificates and jobs. Obviously, that is a lot of gaps, especially from 2011 to the present. So here is what I want to put at the end of my resume. A section with the heading "Gaps in my Experience":

"Due to my frequent changing of desire of what I want to to do with my life, I have done many college classes over the years not mentioned above; for a while I was a psychology grad student, and realized that was not the field for me. Other times I have taken many college courses purely for the knowledge, rather than for a degree or certification, as I am currently doing in 2016."

So what do you guys think? Is it ok to include this section in my resume? Should I put it in my cover letter instead? Is it even ok to address it at all in either document?

Just remember, whatever you put in the resume will be open to question durring any interview.  The first thing I'd ask as an interviewer is, "With your desires changing constantly, how do I know if I hire you that you won't change your mind and leave?".

If there are gaps, let there be gaps.  If they question the gaps, that's when you have to explain, not on paper.  BTW - I wouldn't do a cover letter.  You want a one page resume for this sort of position.  Most HR in stores are going to toss anything with a cover letter.  In fact, are you sure you even need a resume for this?  At store level, they're not usually needed - I never used one until I applied at corporate.

Just remember, whatever you put in the resume will be open to question durring any interview.  The first thing I'd ask as an interviewer is, "With your desires changing constantly, how do I know if I hire you that you won't change your mind and leave?".

If there are gaps, let there be gaps.  If they question the gaps, that's when you have to explain, not on paper.  BTW - I wouldn't do a cover letter.  You want a one page resume for this sort of position.  Most HR in stores are going to toss anything with a cover letter.  In fact, are you sure you even need a resume for this?  At store level, they're not usually needed - I never used one until I applied at corporate.

Thanks for the input regarding the gaps.

I found out about the position by a help wanted sign on their door. The sign said to leave a resume.

I've left resumes with this store more than a few times in the past, including when they have had Help Wanted signs on their door. I've never gotten a callback. This would be my first time leaving a cover letter with the resume, with my intention in the cover letter is to let the store (a music store--the kind that sells CDs and records, not instruments) know that I have an extensive knowledge of music that would be an asset to them, which is not reflected in my resume as I've never worked in the music or retail industries. I also want to let them know I would be excited to work there, as I patron their store all the time. And again, this a music store, not walmart or target. I shop there because I have a passion for music and I love shopping at their store, not because I see shopping there as a "necessary evil", such as with a Walmart or Target or what have you. This is also not reflected in my resume.

Please let me know if you still think its a good idea to dump the cover letter. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks for the input regarding the gaps.

I found out about the position by a help wanted sign on their door. The sign said to leave a resume.

I've left resumes with this store more than a few times in the past, including when they have had Help Wanted signs on their door. I've never gotten a callback. This would be my first time leaving a cover letter with the resume, with my intention in the cover letter is to let the store (a music store--the kind that sells CDs and records, not instruments) know that I have an extensive knowledge of music that would be an asset to them, which is not reflected in my resume as I've never worked in the music or retail industries. I also want to let them know I would be excited to work there, as I patron their store all the time. And again, this a music store, not walmart or target. I shop there because I have a passion for music and I love shopping at their store, not because I see shopping there as a "necessary evil", such as with a Walmart or Target or what have you. This is also not reflected in my resume.

Please let me know if you still think its a good idea to dump the cover letter. Any help is appreciated!

I'd ditch the cover.  Like I said, it might get you ignored.  If you're interested in the place, learn something on how the staff handles themselves.  It might give you insight on what to stress in a resume that might garner attention.

I am writing a resume and cover letter to apply for a cashier or customer service job at a retail store.

I have large gaps in my resume. So I want to address that in the resume, but I don't know if that's a good idea. So I am asking you UEers what you think.

Basically, this is the combination of work and education timeline:

2002 - 2007: College

2006 - 2007: Work

2007 - 2008: College

2010 - 2011: work

That covers all my college degrees/certificates and jobs. Obviously, that is a lot of gaps, especially from 2011 to the present. So here is what I want to put at the end of my resume. A section with the heading "Gaps in my Experience":

"Due to my frequent changing of desire of what I want to to do with my life, I have done many college classes over the years not mentioned above; for a while I was a psychology grad student, and realized that was not the field for me. Other times I have taken many college courses purely for the knowledge, rather than for a degree or certification, as I am currently doing in 2016."

So what do you guys think? Is it ok to include this section in my resume? Should I put it in my cover letter instead? Is it even ok to address it at all in either document?

I wouldn't even include a cover letter unless they request one. Like GSN said I'd just explain the gaps in your interview if it comes up.

Did you participate in any clubs in college or do any research assistant type work? Or do any volunteer work? When I was applying for my first job out of college I literally only had one month at Wal-Mart the summer before I started college on my resume. I added some 'work' I did helping a graduate student in my department to my "work experience" (it was unpaid and I only had to commit like 2 hours total in a week but I did it for a year and was able to use her as a reference) and I had a section for clubs I participated in. I had a leadership position in one club and mentioned that as well. I added a summer I volunteered at an animal shelter to that section as well. Got a solid job within one months of starting my search.

I'd ditch the cover.  Like I said, it might get you ignored.  If you're interested in the place, learn something on how the staff handles themselves.  It might give you insight on what to stress in a resume that might garner attention.

Ok, I guess I'll ditch the cover letter. I'm not sure what you mean by how the staff handle themselves.

I wouldn't even include a cover letter unless they request one. Like GSN said I'd just explain the gaps in your interview if it comes up.

Did you participate in any clubs in college or do any research assistant type work? Or do any volunteer work? When I was applying for my first job out of college I literally only had one month at Wal-Mart the summer before I started college on my resume. I added some 'work' I did helping a graduate student in my department to my "work experience" (it was unpaid and I only had to commit like 2 hours total in a week but I did it for a year and was able to use her as a reference) and I had a section for clubs I participated in. I had a leadership position in one club and mentioned that as well. I added a summer I volunteered at an animal shelter to that section as well. Got a solid job within one months of starting my search.

I've done pretty much nothing noteworthy since 2011. I've taken many college courses, but no degrees, certificates, etc since 2008. No clubs, no volunteering, no research.