UnevenEdge

French Monday, French Writers and Artists: Your favorites?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I know, I'm not debating that some of them came from outside Paris or France, but Picasso lived in France for a long time. Merton was born there. They're all associated with France on some level, Van Gogh had a ton of influence on Parisian art, a lot of his art ended up in the Louvre, the most prestigious French Museum. I guess I'm including influence, not just citizenship.

Also, Delacroix, Hugo, Jules Verne, and Sartre were still pretty diehard French

I mean, you could say Bill Watterson, and Frank Miller are American, but Calvin and Hobbes and Miller have had an enormous influence on Bandes Dessinee books in the last 10 years or so. After they started achieving popularity in the publishing industry there.

France is a lot less exclusionary than Japan in terms of what it considers to be part of its culture, even though France has a heavy influence on Japan. Unlike Japan, where citizenship predates influence, France adapts a lot of non-French artists into its culture.

Edited by J.M. Matthews

Germans had influence pretty much EVERYWHERE...in 1942. But it was forced influence, not willingly. there's a pretty big difference.

Germany was an influence bully. They raped their way in, not got invited. Remember? That's why the Allied Force fought against them.

Edited by J.M. Matthews

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...