UnevenEdge

'Annihilation' - Princess Amidalan leads a research team into SCP-093

pail

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 11:03 PM, pail said:

Jokes aside, it does look kind of interesting and exciting.

Hopefully they don't fuck it up.

I'm at ends with how much is different seemingly, including the protagonist's characterization. However, I did enjoy Ex Machina a whole lot and loved the book, and and willing to gamble on differences between source material. 

1 minute ago, Bouvre said:

I'm at ends with how much is different seemingly, including the protagonist's characterization. However, I did enjoy Ex Machina a whole lot and loved the book, and and willing to gamble on differences between source material. 

I haven't read the book, never even heard of it.

Worth a read?

4 minutes ago, pail said:

I haven't read the book, never even heard of it.

Worth a read?

Annihilation was the last book I really sped through, longing for the next sentence. It reveals itself as surprisingly character heavy despite the lovecraftian elements and mystery. 

There's two other books, making up the whole of the Southern Reach Trilogy, each one covering different characters and storylines, but interconnected enough to make reading them in order worth it.

1 minute ago, Bouvre said:

Annihilation was the last book I really sped through, longing for the next sentence. It reveals itself as surprisingly character heavy despite the lovecraftian elements and mystery. 

There's two other books, making up the whole of the Southern Reach Trilogy, each one covering different characters and storylines, but interconnected enough to make reading them in order worth it.

Need to read them in any particular order?

Or are they stand alone pieces?

Just now, pail said:

Need to read them in any particular order?

Or are they stand alone pieces?

Annihilation, Authority, Acceptance

They do stand alone, but trust me, information that seems small in a later book is occasionally a game changer for the preceding book. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bouvre said:

Annihilation, Authority, Acceptance

They do stand alone, but trust me, information that seems small in a later book is occasionally a game changer for the preceding book. 

I'll have to look into it.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Bouvre said:

I also recommend Tarkovsky's film Stalker, which was a big influence on Annihilation, so long as you have 2.5 hours to spare on a movie that moves you at an intentionally tense but slow pace.

Tarkovsky sounds familiar...

I'll have to look him up to see if I recognize any of his work.

For some reason I want to think he was the director of 'π'; but I'm probably just confusing him with someone else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pail said:

Tarkovsky sounds familiar...

I'll have to look him up to see if I recognize any of his work.

For some reason I want to think he was the director of 'π'; but I'm probably just confusing him with someone else.

Aronofsky, it's those pesky skys

My husband gets Tarkovsky mixed up with Tartakovsky, the creator of Dexters Laboratory

Edited by Bouvre
  • Thanks 1