UnevenEdge

Skrew's debut didn't break new ground

ZoomBubba

ello-xhdpi-f5e460d6.jpg

Industrial music was evolving and diverging in the early 1990s. Some bands doubled down on their samples, keyboards and drum machines. Others went a more metallic direction.

Skrew is one of the latter and they are the focus of this review.

Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame is the debut album of the band, released in 1992. While there are high spots, it leaves a lot to be desired.

https://zoombubba.com/blog/2017/11/09/skrews-first-album-broke-no-new-ground/

There are way to many genres in music if you ask me.  The only ones I really see a need for are the classic ones like country, folk, rock, metal, jazz, blues, hiphop/rap. 

I mean Heavy metal, speed metal, death metal I get that, and I've said this before, but I just think a lot of these newer genres are either too niche or vague ..lincluding stuff like progressive rock/metal...but more so stuff like horrorcore, hardcore, new age :|

There's just too many in general. 

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

2 hours ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

There are way to many genres in music if you ask me.  The only ones I really see a need for are the classic ones like country, folk, rock, metal, jazz, blues, hiphop/rap. 

I mean Heavy metal, speed metal, death metal I get that, and I've said this before, but I just think a lot of these newer genres are either too niche or vague ..lincluding stuff like progressive rock/metal...but more so stuff like horrorcore, hardcore, new age :|

There's just too many in general. 

People like to think in genres. I think our brains just naturally categorize things like that. 

I try not to think in terms of genre, but more like "innovative" and "avant garde." I like things that are interesting, even challenging to listen too, which is why I drift toward the industrial and metal end of things.