UnevenEdge

Why I believe Attack on Titan Season 2 is coming to Toonami this Spring:

Yes, Dragon Ball Super and DBZ KFC are both dub premieres, as is Hunter x Hunter, but still, looking through the lineup on my on-screen guide, I notice something: the lack of any shows which say "(2017)":

DB Super (2015)

DBZ KFC (2015)

JoJo (2012)

Gundam Unicorn (2016)

Hunter x Hunter (2012)

Shippuden (2009)

One Piece (2008)

One-Punch Man (2015)

To the unseasoned observer, Gundam Unicorn looks like the newest show, but its animation is actually mostly from 2010, and like JoJo, it's not a true dub premiere because it was previously streaming. The lack of any 2017 shows should be short-lived, however. We will most likely get Samurai Jack for the 20th Anniversary, and of course Attack on Titan Season 2 would also be 2017. The question is, is that distinction enough to put these shows AHEAD of Super and expand Toonami again to 11 PM, or will they be after DBZ KFC at 12:30? I sincerely doubt [as] would work so hard on Jack and then give it 12:30, but I'd say even an AOT S2 Simuldub might take JoJo's place after Part 2.

What do y'all think?

Super will remain top slot, there's absolutely no doubt about that.  It doesn't matter if it's Attack on Titan or not: Dragon Ball has been and always will be a much bigger property, so they'll push that first.  I doubt that it'll unseat Buu Saga, either, if only for the sole reason that an hour of Dragon Ball goes well together naturally.  I don't believe there's any doubt at this point that AoT Season 2 will come to Toonami.  It's simply a matter of when.

Now if AoT comes, it has two ways of coming: it can replace something already on the block, or it can get another slot.  Barring any unforeseen marathons or preemptions, JoJo should end on April 22, which opens up 12:30 as of April 29.  If I'm not mistaken, AoT Season 2 begins in April, so if the show were to be simuldubbed, it's feasible that it could replace JoJo on April 29.  It could also just be a standard dub premiere, or even just a US TV premiere, later in the year, such as in the summer or early fall. 

If AoT were to pick up a slot for Toonami, which I don't believe in likely, then most likely what would happen is Super would move to 11:00 PM and Buu Saga would go to 11:30.  AoT Season 2 would air at 12:00.  Depending on the actual start date for AoT Season 2, and if it is actually simuldubbed on Toonami, then that opens up the possibility that it can begin before JoJo finishes.  If this is the case, I can imagine that Toonami will hold off airing new Samurai Jack until April, and just have it replace JoJo at 12:30; if AoT can't get Super out of the top slot, no way in hell Samurai Jack does.

Alternatively, Toonami expands in the other direction, and AoT premieres at 12:30, pushing everything else back 30 minutes, with the block running 11:30 - 4:00. 

Out of all the options, I see Option 1 (AoT replaces some show) as the most likely, followed by the option where Toonami expands back into the later hours: I feel that if Adult Swim were to give Toonami more hours back, it would be the hours later in the night that they had previously, rather than the ones earlier in the night.

I know I talked about having reservations about predicting the next Toonami show, but Attack on Titan S2 does seem like a good pick to succeed JoJo's on April 29th. And then they could jump into Stardust Crusaders after it's done, which helps out variety.

I fully expect Samurai Jack to be its own thing, and premiere separate from the rest of the block.

I know I talked about having reservations about predicting the next Toonami show, but Attack on Titan S2 does seem like a good pick to succeed JoJo's on April 29th. And then they could jump into Stardust Crusaders after it's done, which helps out variety.

I fully expect Samurai Jack to be its own thing, and premiere separate from the rest of the block.

You think Jack wont air on Toonami? Nonsense. With the total lack of promotion the 8pm showing of Super is getting, I'd say chances of Jack premiering outside of Toonami are slim to none.

Yes, Dragon Ball Super and DBZ KFC are both dub premieres, as is Hunter x Hunter, but still, looking through the lineup on my on-screen guide, I notice something: the lack of any shows which say "(2017)":

DB Super (2015)

DBZ KFC (2015)

JoJo (2012)

Gundam Unicorn (2016)

Hunter x Hunter (2012)

Shippuden (2009)

One Piece (2008)

One-Punch Man (2015)

To the unseasoned observer, Gundam Unicorn looks like the newest show, but its animation is actually mostly from 2010, and like JoJo, it's not a true dub premiere because it was previously streaming. The lack of any 2017 shows should be short-lived, however. We will most likely get Samurai Jack for the 20th Anniversary, and of course Attack on Titan Season 2 would also be 2017. The question is, is that distinction enough to put these shows AHEAD of Super and expand Toonami again to 11 PM, or will they be after DBZ KFC at 12:30? I sincerely doubt [as] would work so hard on Jack and then give it 12:30, but I'd say even an AOT S2 Simuldub might take JoJo's place after Part 2.

What do y'all think?

I fully expect Jack to get 11pm or alternatively shift everything down a half hour and for Attack on Titan to replace that.

Jack only lasts 10 weeks but it is an original production, it's going to get top billing and the benefit of a Family Guy lead-in.

Attack on Titan probably wont get stuck behind Kai. It's a huge property in its own right and one that they were willing to air reruns of AHEAD of DBZ Kai initially. We can all agree that was a bad idea but it shows you what they're willing to do for Titan.

I don't see a lack of 2017 shows as a notable concern for them though. It never really has been and very few series on this Toonami have started less than a year after the Japanese broadcast as is.

You think Jack wont air on Toonami? Nonsense. With the total lack of promotion the 8pm showing of Super is getting, I'd say chances of Jack premiering outside of Toonami are slim to none.

I meant that by airing separately, it would not replace any other show. Regardless, the wording I used is pretty bad. >:D