UnevenEdge

NHL 2016-2017

Master-Debater131

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Rangers/Hawks tonight, a few noteworthy things about this game is...

1. Johnathan Towes and Brent Sebrook are back in the lineup

2. Antti Raanta is starting for the 4th straight over Henrik Lunqvist game so let the rumors begin. It's interesting that the Rangers are paying Lunqvist all that money to be a backup.

Epilogue - So Eric was invited by Scott Darling to attend that weekend's game at the United Center as a guest of the Hawks.  He also got his own Trading Card.

https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20161211/sports/161219817

https://twitter.com/PuckJunk/status/806621743712522249/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This is still a really cool story.  Pretty great to see how Chicago really started to roll with it to.  Pretty classy and fun organization to do that.

Blackhawks give Panarin a 2 yr extension for $6 mil.

A local sports show said that the Hawks have $69 mil  tied up in 12 players, leaving around $12 mil (their words) to spend on everyone else.

Thats not going to end well I think.

Going to result in a massive drop-off in talent between the top 2 and bottom 2 lines.  Which could cause them to rely far to heavily on their top 2 doing all the work to win.

So the Avs suck, they suck bad.

But now its starting to appear that they might suck at a historical level

At their current pace they are on track to lose the most games of any team in the Salary Cap era, and one of the worst seasons since the introduction of the current point system.

At this point its just fun to watch them to see the new and creative ways they fuck up :D

Today's "One More Shift" by the Hawks was Roenick.  He came out to ELO's 10538 overture.  In the pregame interview, I think he was actually touched by the honor.  He talked about how much it meant to him as a kid for Gordie Howe to single him out and dump snow on his head.  He said that was why he'd skate over to some random kid and steal some popcorn or the kid's hat and briefly put it on before giving it back.

Anyone ever beat a puppy because it kept doing the same stupid shit? Or hell, it did something new that was totally stupid? Well....that's what it means to play the Bruins this year. Lotta young guys, lotta old guys, lotta the same dumb shit from the past 2 seasons. I almost don't want the B's to make the playoffs again this season just so there's some major change ups. Sweeney can stay for now, but Cam or Claude gotta go. And maybe even Tuukka, if someone is dumb enough to take him. I mean shit, last Monday, the Bruins sucked so hard in a 4-0 loss to the Islanders, the Islanders FIRED THEIR HEAD COACH. I don't get it. I honestly don't. The fact that they're even in the playoffs (for now) just shows how badly the rest of the Atlantic sucks. Sorry, I needed a moment.... Go Bruins, I guess.

Anyone ever beat a puppy because it kept doing the same stupid shit? Or hell, it did something new that was totally stupid? Well....that's what it means to play the Bruins this year. Lotta young guys, lotta old guys, lotta the same dumb shit from the past 2 seasons. I almost don't want the B's to make the playoffs again this season just so there's some major change ups. Sweeney can stay for now, but Cam or Claude gotta go. And maybe even Tuukka, if someone is dumb enough to take him. I mean shit, last Monday, the Bruins sucked so hard in a 4-0 loss to the Islanders, the Islanders FIRED THEIR HEAD COACH. I don't get it. I honestly don't. The fact that they're even in the playoffs (for now) just shows how badly the rest of the Atlantic sucks. Sorry, I needed a moment.... Go Bruins, I guess.

Well I know the Bs and the Avs have been talking about some pretty major trades involving some huge names.

Both teams are sorta in the same place.  Have some good young talent, and some old sucky contracts.  We lost our coach and had Bednar come in but we are getting worse, not better.  Right now were on track to have the single worst season in the Salary Cap era.  Thats pretty bad.

Just changing coaches doesnt always mean instant results.  Sometimes there are structural issues at play, and that usually has more to do with the GM than with the Coach.

Is there anyone out there to take Boston's coaching position?  Or is it a GM issue?  Seems like the same Coaches move from one team to another and nothing much changes for any of those teams.

It seems to be more of a GM issue with some teams rather than a Coaching issue.

The Bs have some good young talent, but also some horrible contracts for old guys who are well past their prime.  Thats all on the GM.  Coaches cant control contracts.

That's why I was asking.  Large contracts can come back to bite you, but there are exceptions - look at Hossa, the players on the Hawks said he came into camp this season in better shape than the rest of them.

There are a few exceptions, but there is a reason its called an exception.  GMs are getting smarter at signing older players to long-term deals.  They realize(well the smart ones do) that giving an old guy a long term contract carries some pretty huge risks. 

Some GMs are good at recognizing who is worth signing and who is not.  theres a pretty big gap between the top GMs and the bottom GMs in the NHL right now.

Tsar: I think it's a coaching issue. With Sweeney replacing Chiarelli, and all the moves Sweeney made (like getting rid of Lucic and Savard), he helped build the future of the team. The team now has a bunch of good guys, but no one can seem to get anything done. Pastrnak hit a stride when no one else could, but he got cold. Everyone else just has moments of greatness, followed immediately by moments of despair or stupidity. But the effects of some of Chia's contracts are still being felt. For instance, I would not have kept Chara this long.

Debater: At least the Bruins are on the bubble of being just in/just out. Avs are currently at the bottom, and knowing the B's, they'd lose to the Avs if they played tomorrow. Again, we did replace our GM, and I think it's too early to change again, simply because some of the effects from Chia are still being felt. We had a lot (way too many) diminishing returns on big trades. Or we just let a lot of good guys go. Some guys, like Seguin, probably would not have hit their stride unless they were traded. I personally think it's on the coaching, or maybe it's a general locker-room attitude....I dunno. But something needs to be done. (I just hope that something isn't trade Bergeron.)

Tsar: I think it's a coaching issue. With Sweeney replacing Chiarelli, and all the moves Sweeney made (like getting rid of Lucic and Savard), he helped build the future of the team. The team now has a bunch of good guys, but no one can seem to get anything done. Pastrnak hit a stride when no one else could, but he got cold. Everyone else just has moments of greatness, followed immediately by moments of despair or stupidity. But the effects of some of Chia's contracts are still being felt. For instance, I would not have kept Chara this long.

Debater: At least the Bruins are on the bubble of being just in/just out. Avs are currently at the bottom, and knowing the B's, they'd lose to the Avs if they played tomorrow. Again, we did replace our GM, and I think it's too early to change again, simply because some of the effects from Chia are still being felt. We had a lot (way too many) diminishing returns on big trades. Or we just let a lot of good guys go. Some guys, like Seguin, probably would not have hit their stride unless they were traded. I personally think it's on the coaching, or maybe it's a general locker-room attitude....I dunno. But something needs to be done. (I just hope that something isn't trade Bergeron.)

Its funny because one of the Avs few wins came against the Bs. 

When talking trade between the Avs and Bs its usually centered around Carlo and Landeskog.  Both are huge pieces of our franchises and both are going to be franchise players.  The Avs arent going to give up our captain for nothing, and the Bs really dont want to give up Carlo. 

Going to be interesting to see if anything can happen between our teams.

Yep, we split those games. haha

And you're right, we don't want to give up Carlo. Honestly, I don't want to see really almost anyone go aside from Tuukka, Chara, or maybe McQuaid. While McQuaid is the only guy that seems to want to fight people, I just don't think he's a good Dman. I miss Boychuk. (Thanks Chiarelli!)

Yep, we split those games. haha

And you're right, we don't want to give up Carlo. Honestly, I don't want to see really almost anyone go aside from Tuukka, Chara, or maybe McQuaid. While McQuaid is the only guy that seems to want to fight people, I just don't think he's a good Dman. I miss Boychuk. (Thanks Chiarelli!)

I get that, the problem is you arent going to get good young talent without giving up good young talent or a shitload of draft picks.

In order to get Landeskog its going to require you giving us some serious young talent, probably Carlo.

Getting rid of those older contracts is nearly impossible if you are trying to use them to get young guys.  Unless you try to pull a rental player thing around the deadline no one is going to bite. 

Both are teams are in this shitty place where we have some good young talent and a lot of old bad contracts.  We want to get rid of the old guys and keep the young guys but no one in the NHL is going to buy a deal like that.

• panic locked this topic